Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Sweet Tea

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joiei

joiei
  • participating member
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

This piece by Jeffrey Klineman on Slate is coming close to the religion of Sweet Tea. And he introduces the piece by talking about my cousin Boo, clickety here

Drinking sweet tea is one of the oldest and most exceptional Southern traditions. As Dolly Parton's character in Steel Magnolias puts it, it's the "house wine of the South"—a clear, orange-to-red tinted tea brewed from six or seven Lipton or Luzianne tea bags, poured hot onto a cup or more of sugar or a pool of simple syrup, and then diluted into a gallon pitcher in the fridge. It's served over a mound of ice in a huge glass—so cold that you can watch your napkin drown in a puddle of condensation.

And there are undeclared wars at the local dinner on the grounds as to who has the best sweet tea. I know, I have watched them transpire on the grounds of Hickory Hammock Baptist Church. And my great great grandfather is buried in the churchyard behind the church. So the ladies have been fighting over whos is best for many years.

Southerners, of course, have a taste for sugar that is demonstrably stronger than what you find up North. We like our pecan pie and pralines sweet enough to make the dentist cringe. All of the major soda companies—the Coca-Cola Co., PepsiCo, Dr Pepper—started in the South. Bourbon, that sweetest of whiskies, is from Kentucky. A mint julep, that classic Southern cocktail, is basically a whiskey'd up sweet tea, with mint, ice, simple syrup, and booze.

While my parents made us drink an unsweetened mint tea blend at home, I strong-armed them into stopping by Po Folks on the way home from baseball practice. A middling Southern-style chain (we didn't know enough to eat at Mary Mac's), known for horrible phonetic misspellings, heavily larded chicken, and, most importantly, sweet tea served in Mason Jars, it was practically the only place I could get hooked up properly—at least, that is, until I began raiding the always-full homemade pitchers in my friends' refrigerators.

My stepdad, bless his heart, so loved his sweet tea. And he loved Po'Folks because they had the best biscuits and the best fried chicken and they had fried fish for my mom. I do miss him and sharing a meal at Po'Folks, even though that is is only time I would ever consider going there.
It is good to be a BBQ Judge.

#2 divalasvegas

divalasvegas
  • participating member
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:39 AM

I love sweet tea joiei aka "Baptist Table Wine" and the "religion" must be growing when even McDonald's is getting into the act with their rendition of sweet tea. I don't care for it as achingly sweet as I used to but I do still enjoy it and it makes much more sense than trying to sweeten cold, unsweetened tea where your sugar just ends up in a little pile at the bottom of your glass. I especially like it when combined with homemade lemonade (lemonade MUST be equal parts tart and sweet) by pouring the sweet tea over ice first and then gently pouring the lemonade over that to make an Arnold Palmer. I like to leave the drink unstirred or maybe softly stirred once or twice so I get to enjoy the sweet tea, then the Arnold Palmer, and finally the lemonade. :smile:

Edited by divalasvegas, 15 August 2007 - 09:53 AM.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

Sweet tea!!! Lipton, Luzianne or Red Diamond? Are there political or regional biases?

Thanks,

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

#4 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

So I am planning to make a cocktail using sweet tea at The Patterson house, in Nashville, and am going to go with Luzianne. Is using a tea that sounds so much like Louisiana here in Tennessee
a mistake?

Thanks

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

#5 bettylouski

bettylouski
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

So I am planning to make a cocktail using sweet tea at The Patterson house, in Nashville, and am going to go with Luzianne.  Is using a tea that sounds so much like Louisiana here in Tennessee
a mistake?

Thanks

View Post

I prefer Red Diamond myself, and for TN it's closer to the source (Birmingham) .