Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Making Mexican at home

Mexican

• Please log in to reply
436 replies to this topic

#421 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

I am drooling. Big time.

Love the designation of 'sort-a' Mexican. Much of my cooking could be called by that name. Nothing to show of late. But we'll be back...
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#422 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thank you, Darienne

Dinner from Diana Kennedy’s From My Mexican Kitchen

Chorizo y papa: Potatoes, cubed and boiled. Chorizo, crumbled and fried. Add potatoes and chopped chipotle en adobo, and fry until crisp. Serve on corn tortillas with salsa, minced white onion, and crumbled queso fresco.

Salsa de jitomate: Pick tomatoes and Serrano chiles from the garden. Dry-roast the tomatoes, chiles, and garlic on a comal. Blend to a textured sauce and top with minced white onion and chopped cilantro.

Posted Image

#423 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Huevos rancheros: Leftover salsa de jitomate, fried into an approximation of salsa ranchera (secret ingredient = fish sauce). Toppings included diced white onion and crumbled queso fresco.

I remembered the runny yolk shot this time.

Posted Image

#424 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

Thank you, Darienne

Dinner from Diana Kennedy’s From My Mexican Kitchen

Chorizo y papa: Potatoes, cubed and boiled. Chorizo, crumbled and fried. Add potatoes and chopped chipotle en adobo, and fry until crisp. Serve on corn tortillas with salsa, minced white onion, and crumbled queso fresco.

Salsa de jitomate: Pick tomatoes and Serrano chiles from the garden. Dry-roast the tomatoes, chiles, and garlic on a comal. Blend to a textured sauce and top with minced white onion and chopped cilantro.

Posted Image

Tacos de papas y chorizo from Kennedy's original book is one of my favorite things; I like it with tomatillo sauce.

#425 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Tacos de papas y chorizo from Kennedy's original book is one of my favorite things; I like it with tomatillo sauce.

Tomatillo salsa would go very well - I will try that another time. Thanks for the suggestion!

My all-time favorite Mexican potato dish is papas chirrionas from The Art of Mexican Cooking - I have a deep and abiding love for the flavor of chile pasilla.

#426 kalypso

kalypso
  • participating member
  • 721 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

I'll add the Enchiladas Placeras I made recently from Marilyn Tausend's new cookbook La Cocina Mexicana

Enciladas Placeras.JPG

Easier than I thought they'd be and very tasty. Sauce is Ancho/guajillo based and the tortillas are dipped in sauce and then fried; recipe called for cotija or jack, I had quesillo on hand and used that instead. Messy but good. The potato and carrots were cooked in water to which a little pineapple vinegar had been added until barely done and then fried. They were outstanding.

Typically the chicken on the plate would have been either a leg quarter or breast that had been parcooked and then fried. I had a mutant chicken breast that weighed in at 16 oz so I poached that, sliced it and then fried the slices. That part was okay, but it would have been way better with just the whole chicken quarter fried.

The dish was much lighter and less dense than I thought it would be. Left overs for dinner tonight...YUM

#427 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

kalypso that looks to die for.

#428 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Agreed! What do you think of the cookbook?

#429 kalypso

kalypso
  • participating member
  • 721 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Agreed! What do you think of the cookbook?

I like the cookbook alot, in part because it's got recipes for things that are either overlooked or not featured at all.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I was a recipe tester for the cookbook. Enchiladas Placeras was not one of the recipes I tested, so it was a new recipe to me.

#430 kalypso

kalypso
  • participating member
  • 721 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

I've been on an enchilada tear the past couple of week. I also made these...Enchiladas Verdes de Aguacaliente from Diana Kennedy's Tortilla Book

Enchiladas Verde w garnish.jpg

#431 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

I've been on an enchilada tear the past couple of week. I also made these...Enchiladas Verdes de Aguacaliente from Diana Kennedy's Tortilla Book

Kalypso – I looked up the recipe and that sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Requeson revuelto a la Mexicana (ricotta scrambled like Mexican eggs) – An old favorite from Diana Kennedy’s The Art of Mexican Cooking. I usually double the Serrano chiles, and this time I also added a chipotle in adobo.

On corn tortillas with queso fresco

Posted Image

#432 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Mrs. C’s ham stock featured prominently in tonight’s meal.

Corn soup with chicken and chile Poblano (Crema de elote con pollo y Poblano): Corn, milk, corn starch, and fried onion and garlic, pureed and strained, and then simmered with ham stock, cubed chicken breast, and roasted chile Poblano. Cilantro garnish. I adore corn and chile Poblano, and the ham stock came through nicely.

Posted Image

Mexican red rice (arroz rojo): Shortcut version with enchilada salsa, ham stock, corn, and peas.

Posted Image

#433 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

rice w enchilada sauce is a new one to me and a great idea!

#434 menuinprogress

menuinprogress
  • participating member
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Oxtail Mole de Olla with Taquitos:

Posted Image

Intended for last night, but the oxtails needed more braising than we had time for.

Fast forward to tonight, with an extra few hours of cooking and all was well. The taquitos (cheese, onion cilantro) made for a nice, crunchy edible utensil.
Mike Oliphant
Food Blog: Menu In Progress | Twitter: @menuinprogress

#435 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

MIP - Wow, that looks fantastic! What recipe did you use?

#436 menuinprogress

menuinprogress
  • participating member
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

MIP - Wow, that looks fantastic! What recipe did you use?

Thanks! I don't really follow a particular recipe. The base is blended pasilla and dried costeña chiles. I added diced onion at the beginning and Mexican zucchini and potato toward the end. Seasoning was simply salt and Mexican oregano.
Mike Oliphant
Food Blog: Menu In Progress | Twitter: @menuinprogress

#437 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

I was pretty happy bout my eldest daughter's idea of making lots of tortillas quickly using my pancake maker! Worked really well!

tortillot.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mexican