Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Gentiane Apertifs (Suze, et al)

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 949 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

Determined to play with the Gentian liqueur tonight. Thought process started with 'swap Gentiane for Campari in a Paper Plane'. This is where it ended:

1 1/2 oz W.L. Weller Special Reserve
3/4 oz Gentiane des Pères Chartreux (from all accounts, very similar to Suze)
3/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Bittercube Orange Liqueur (Cointreau is close, but add a dash of Regan's Orange Bitters)

Shaken, strained and topped with a few drops of Lemon Bitters (Bittercube's 2010 Limited Release Lemon Tree Bitters, to be precise).

The pre-shake volume is high, because I originally planned to only use 1 oz of Weller and none of the Orange liqueur. At first taste, the bourbon was completely lost and needed to be upped, and it needed something else...the Orange was my best guess.

Flavor is pleasantly sweet upfront, with a forcefully bitter finish that demands another sip. This is at the heart of what I love about the Paper Plane, so in that I guess it was a success. However, I think the proportions are off, and I don't think the Yellow Chartreuse is contributing at all.

Well, a switch to Rye might help the whiskey express itself, and Green Chartreuse is never lost in the background...here's what came next:

1 1/2 oz Rittenhouse 100 Rye
3/4 oz Gentiane des Pères Chartreux
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
1/4 oz Cassis des Pères Chartreux
1 dash Fee's Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters

Stirred and strained.

The idea of combining the Gentiane with Cassis came from the Chartreuse website, and it's pretty spectacular. To paraphrase Jeffrey Steingarten, this is a drink I would pay for in a bar. Without the citrus, there is perhaps less depth, but the Cassis adds rounded fruitiness and the switch to Rye/Green Chartreuse lends piquancy that were previously contributed by the orange liqueur and lemon juice. The bitterness of gentian, always present in the background, is most obvious in the long lingering finish.

Edited by KD1191, 02 July 2010 - 07:29 PM.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#32 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

This was pretty tasty:

1/2 oz Suze
1/2 oz lemon
1/2 oz Luxardo Maraschino
1/2 t Kubler absinthe
1 1/2 oz Junipero gin

Shake, strain, no garnish.

Man, that Suze has a long, bitter tail.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#33 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

Back at it with the Suze. Trying to figure out something that takes advantage of the Carpano Antica Formula I've got. Starting thinking about Chuck Taggart's Hoskins Cocktail, a personal favorite, and modified it a bit to account for the Suze. I had lemon on hand instead of orange, which works just fine. Indeed, I think that this is a great drink, from the ginny front end, through the rich, sweet middle, and into the long, bitter end:

2 oz Plymouth gin
3/4 oz Carpano Antica Formula
1/2 oz Suze
1/2 oz Luxardo maraschino
dash Angostura

Stir; strain; lemon peel over the top; discard.

ETA: As it warms, it becomes almost chocolaty. This is a keeper.

Edited by Chris Amirault, 21 July 2010 - 05:57 PM.

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#34 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

Rye, Suze, and akvavit over here.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#35 TAPrice

TAPrice
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

Proportions are 1.5 gin (plymouth works well)
1 lillet
.75 suze

Has anyone had much luck making a White Negorni? After hearing about this, I made one like a Negroni with equal parts gin, Lillet (I subbed in Cocchi Americano) and Suze. Not bad, but the Suze is too dominant.

I tried the recipe above, and it's really out of whack to my taste. The botanicals in the gin (I tried with both Tanquery and Plymouth) are far too dominant. Another element (perhaps the Suze) seems to be making the gin botanticals stronger than they would be on their own.

Edited by TAPrice, 15 April 2011 - 09:43 AM.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

#36 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

I've used the 1.5:1:0.75 ratio in the past and enjoyed it. I'm surprised you found the gin botanicals overpowering even when using Plymouth. I typically use either that or another soft 80-proof gin (Bombay Sapphire, Broker's, etc.), and find it quite balanced. I could see it being a little out of whack with full-strength Tanq, though. (But I can't get that here, so it's not an issue for me until I go through duty free somewhere.)
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#37 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

[...]
Has anyone had much luck making a White Negorni? After hearing about this, I made one like a Negroni with equal parts gin, Lillet (I subbed in Cocchi Americano) and Suze. Not bad, but the Suze is too dominant.

I tried the recipe above, and it's really out of whack to my taste. The botanicals in the gin (I tried with both Tanquery and Plymouth) are far too dominant. Another element (perhaps the Suze) seems to be making the gin botanticals stronger than they would be on their own.

In my opinion, this is a cocktail you have to use Lillet Blanc for, not Cocchi Americano.

It is a modern cocktail and it was created with the modern version of Lillet Blanc.

Though, to be honest, not all classic cocktails are improved by using Cocchi Americano, either.
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#38 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

[...]

In my opinion, this is a cocktail you have to use Lillet Blanc for, not Cocchi Americano.

It is a modern cocktail and it was created with the modern version of Lillet Blanc.

Though, to be honest, not all classic cocktails are improved by using Cocchi Americano, either.

Agree that Cocchi Americano doesn't seem like the right choice. I've had success with Cinzano Bianco, though I was using the Carthusian Gentiane, not Suze.

1 1/2 oz Tanqueray
1 oz Cinzano Bianco
1 oz Gentiane
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#39 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:37 PM

Hm, that sort of made it sound like I was objecting to Cocchi Americano in this drink out of some sort of principle.

No, that's not why, though it is true the drink was created with Lillet Blanc.

It just isn't the principle, I've tried it both ways, and the drink really isn't very good with Cocchi Americano.

I would like to try it, though, with some other Gentian aperitifs than Suze.

Along those lines, Tempus Fugit Spirits are working on a bitter aperitif wine that was pretty fantastic in combination with their Gran Classico and Gin. I thought that white negroni variation kind of blew the Suze based "White Negroni" out of the water.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#40 tim g

tim g
  • participating member
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:12 AM

yeah i would have thought using the cocchi americano would result in having 2 bitter ingredients in the cocktail, so that it wasnt as balanced.

#41 ethan bentley

ethan bentley
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

I know Suze is getting a bit tricky to get hold of the UK these days, although I can't say I'm a fan.
I had a sort of pre-distillate mash of genitian root and it tasted just like Suze, I then had the distilled version of that mash and it was so much smooth and rather a pleasant liquid to sip. I was genuinely surprised.
Vintage Cocktails, Barware, Spirits & Gin: www.summerfruitcup.com

#42 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

Made a Brown Bomber from the PDT book, which is excellent:

2 oz bourbon (they say George Dickel #12, I subbed Four Roses Small Batch to good effect)
3/4 oz Lillet blanc (I subbed in Cocchi Americano)
1/2 oz Suze

Stir; strain; lemon twist.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#43 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Test driving this White Negroni variation for a cocktail party that I am hosting tomorrow. Usually Junipero is my gin of choice, but I decided to use the Beefeater that I just bought yesterday.

White Negroni (Dutch Kills version)
1.5 oz gin
3/4 oz Suze
3/4 oz Dolin blanc vermouth
Lemon twist

Posted Image

Wow, this is good, and I love the Beefeater in this drink. Until now I thought that the White Negroni with Cocchi was my favorite but now I am really confused...
More experimentation is in order.

#44 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Fiddling more with the Suze. I'm convinced that Ransom Old Tom Gin and Suze could have a liaison, perhaps illicit, if only I could play matchamaker. Meanwhile...

While watching Lio Messi & Barcelona dismantle Zaragoza, I was snacking on some pecans and hazelnuts and decided to have a nightcap along with. Got to mixing and came up with this. Like most Suze drinks, it ain't for everyone, but if you like that long, long tail and have these ingredients on hand you might like this. The key is the Fundador, which is a nutty, rich foil for the Suze:

2 oz Fundador brandy
1 oz Suze
1/2 oz Benedictine
dash Fee's 2009 WBA bitters

Build over one big rock in a small OF glass. No garnish.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#45 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

I still really like the Brown Bomber, which is essentially a White Negroni with Tennessee whisky instead of gin, a creation by Jim Meehan.

Posted Image

Now that Suze is finally available in the US, I am less nervous about using the bottle that I brought back from France last year.

#46 Frederic

Frederic
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

We still cannot get Suze in Massachusetts (other than smuggled bottles). Luckily, we have two other choices -- both equally as classic, French, and made from wild yellow gentian.

Salers - Haus Alpenz noticed the need and brought this in to the country. It is cheaper, more flavorful, and less flat tasting than Suze.
Avèze - not sure who imports this and I have not seen it on a shelf yet, but two bars in town have it in stock (which means we should see it in stores in a month or two). I have had it in cocktails but have not tasted it neat to get an idea of how it compares to Suze or Salers.

Apparently, Suze has a massive market share in France with Avèze being almost a 1/10th of that and Salers being 1/25th of Suze (based on decade old statistics, but the liqueurs have been around for probably a century plus).

Best drink I've had in Boston with any of these was made by WIll Thompson of Drink in a 20th Century sort of style:

Copper Canyon
1 1/2 oz El Tesoro Reposado Tequila
1/2 oz Marie Brizard Crème de Cacao
1/2 oz Salers Gentiane Liqueur
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1 barspoon Long Pepper Tincture (*)
Shake with ice and strain into a rocks glass containing a big ice cube. Garnish the ice cube with a pinch of salt.
(*) Will said that any hot tincture or perhaps a dash of hot sauce or Bittermens Hellfire Shrub would work well here.

More about this drink: http://cocktailvirgi...per-canyon.html

Edited by Frederic, 30 August 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#47 Keith Orr

Keith Orr
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Saw Avèze, Saler's and Suze on the shelf at Pearl Specialty here in Portland OR yesterday. I figure if it's available here with our state controlled liquor sluggish distribution, it should be available everywhere.

It does appear that our state liquor folks got a scare from the Washington State privatization - they seem to have become much more accommodating of special requests and bringing in new products for the stores and bars.

#48 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

Martin Doudoroff and I did a comparative tasting of the new Suze, Salers Aperitif and Avèze. They are all delicious in their own way, although quite different from one another. Salers has the most straightforward flavor -- consisting of not much more than alcohol, gentian and sugar -- and also the strongest gentian flavor. Avèze, to my palate, has some slight honey notes and is the sweetest with the thickest mouthfeel. It had the least prominent gentian flavor. Suze was somewhere in the middle, having some orange notes lacking in the other two and being generally more complex than Salers.

We tried them alone and also in cocktails. Our initial impressions were that we would chose Suze if we were going to sip it neat, on the rocks or with seltzer, but that Salers makes significantly better cocktails.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#49 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

Martin Doudoroff and I did a comparative tasting of the new Suze, Salers Aperitif and Avèze. They are all delicious in their own way, although quite different from one another. Salers has the most straightforward flavor -- consisting of not much more than alcohol, gentian and sugar -- and also the strongest gentian flavor. Avèze, to my palate, has some slight honey notes and is the sweetest with the thickest mouthfeel. It had the least prominent gentian flavor. Suze was somewhere in the middle, having some orange notes lacking in the other two and being generally more complex than Salers.

We tried them alone and also in cocktails. Our initial impressions were that we would chose Suze if we were going to sip it neat, on the rocks or with seltzer, but that Salers makes significantly better cocktails.

Sam - Do you think that the new Suze formula (saveur d'autrefois) is inferior to the old one? And which cocktails did you use for your side-by-side comparison?

#50 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:46 AM

No, I don't think it's inferior. If anything, I think it represented an attempt to improve the product by reverting it.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#51 BittermensAG

BittermensAG
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

We still cannot get Suze in Massachusetts (other than smuggled bottles). Luckily, we have two other choices -- both equally as classic, French, and made from wild yellow gentian.

Psst... not to self promote or anything, but don't forget about the Amère Sauvage. We may make it here in New York, but the wild, organic gentian we use comes right from Eastern France as well!
Avery Glasser
Bittermens, Inc. - Producers of Bittermens Bitters & Extracts

Bittermens Spirits, Inc. - Purveyors of Small Batch Bitter Liqueurs
Vendetta Spirits, LLC. - Nano-Importer of Hand-Produced Spirits

#52 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 949 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

Psst... not to self promote or anything, but don't forget about the Amère Sauvage. We may make it here in New York, but the wild, organic gentian we use comes right from Eastern France as well!

To add one more data point, I'm also quite fond of the Gentiane des Pères Chartreux. I can't compare it to any of the recently available products, but we did do a taste test a few years back and I found the finish to be noticeably more bitter (and considerably longer) than the Suze of the time. Will report back once I open my bottle of new-make Suze.

DeVoto, The Hour

#53 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

Has anyone tried the Henri Bardouin Gentiane de Lure? The Quebec liquor board used to carry it, but it looks like their supplies are dwindling.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#54 BittermensAG

BittermensAG
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

The Gentiane des Pères Chartreux is a great gentian liqueur - I think they probably use 40-50% more gentian in their maceration in comparison to products like Aveze and Salers, which feel very light and refreshing. It's got a great backbone and really stands up in a cocktail.

The HB Gentiane de Lure is fantastic and one of the products I wish we could regularly get in the states. However, it's not a liqueur - it's a aromatized/fortified wine. So, it's more of an analogue to products like Cocchi Americano than a true liqueur like the Gentiane des Pères Chartreux.
Avery Glasser
Bittermens, Inc. - Producers of Bittermens Bitters & Extracts

Bittermens Spirits, Inc. - Purveyors of Small Batch Bitter Liqueurs
Vendetta Spirits, LLC. - Nano-Importer of Hand-Produced Spirits

#55 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Tried three white negroni variations last night using the PDT ratio as a starting point.

2 oz Plymouth Gin
3/4 oz Lillet Blanc
1/2 oz Suze

2 oz Plymouth Gin
3/4 oz Dolin Blanc
1/2 oz Salers

2 oz Plymouth Gin
3/4 oz Tempus Fugit Kina l'Avinion d'Or
1/2 oz Tempus Fugit Grand Classico Bitter

I am gradually coming to the conclusion that either my Suze is tired, or I just don't like it. The original was my least favorite of the bunch.

Second was a nice feature for the Saler's and a tasty cocktail.

The Third was the most 'negroni' of the three, adding the herbal accents of the Gran Classico. Guests were about 50-50 between it and a classic negroni.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#56 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

Tried three white negroni variations last night using the PDT ratio as a starting point.

2 oz Plymouth Gin
3/4 oz Lillet Blanc
1/2 oz Suze

2 oz Plymouth Gin
3/4 oz Dolin Blanc
1/2 oz Salers

2 oz Plymouth Gin
3/4 oz Tempus Fugit Kina l'Avinion d'Or
1/2 oz Tempus Fugit Grand Classico Bitter

I am gradually coming to the conclusion that either my Suze is tired, or I just don't like it. The original was my least favorite of the bunch.

Second was a nice feature for the Saler's and a tasty cocktail.

The Third was the most 'negroni' of the three, adding the herbal accents of the Gran Classico. Guests were about 50-50 between it and a classic negroni.

Nice experimentation. Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Suze version? Also, while I have not had a chance to try the Tempus Fugit products, isn't Grand Classico bitter a Campari substitute (while l'Avion d'Or is based on Kina-Lillet), making the third version closer to a classic Negroni?

#57 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

Once again, eGullet introduces me to something new!

My wife and I, both far from being advanced cocktailers, are very partial to a classic Negroni, so I was fascinated by the concept of a white one. We don't seem to be able to get Suze in New Zealand, but Gentiane de Lure is reasonably widely available and I got one on Saturday. Saturday night's drink was two versions of a white Negroni; one with two parts gin/¾ Dolin Blanc/¾ Gentiane de Lure, the other with two parts gin and one part each Lillet and gentian. There wasn't a lot between them, but we decided we liked the Lillet one better - just a little sweeter, perhaps.

Yesterday I did some surfing and came up for a recipe for a Tour Eiffel - rinse a glass with absinthe and ice and discard; mix fresh ice with 2½ parts brandy (the recipe said XO Cognac, but we have a nice Jerez we used) and ½ part each gentian and Cointreau; serve with a slice of lemon zest. One word: it was bloody marvellous!

I haven't spent as much time in this eG topic as I should have, but I'll be very receptive to any more recipe ideas you can come up with. Salut!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#58 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

I have decided to use my Suze a bit more instead of hoarding it at the back of a refrigerator shelf. It is delicious stuff, with a bitter and woody taste that is quite addictive. Plus it is French so of course it is perfect in every way.

Anyway, I had this very nice aperitif last weekend, the Little Valiant (Will Thompson) with 2 oz Lillet blanc as the base, 1 oz Suze, a touch lemon juice (3/4 tsp - not oz!), orange bitters (Regan's + Fee's, one dash each), pinch of salt.

The salt (I used kosher flake salt) is sprinkled on the (single large) ice cube, a la Bitter Giuseppe/Search for Delicious, so the drink changes personality as the ice melts. It goes from light and citrusy to briny, with enough bitterness in the background to keep things interesting.

14131811536_1814791c4c_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 15 May 2014 - 04:50 PM.

• Rafa likes this

#59 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

Suze Bramble (Ira Koplowitz and Nicholas Kosevich ) with Suze, blanco tequila (7 Leguas), grapefruit & lemon juice, simple syrup, blackberries (Santa Barbara mulberries).  The color was not as deep as the original drink with blackberries, but I really liked how the mulberries interacted with the tequila. And there was a nice bitter finish from the Suze. Good summer drink.

14162754102_52c7620e77_z.jpg

#60 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

I just had to try this Mai Tai-inspired drink with gentian liquor as the base, the Frog Splash, a creation by Morgan Schick of Trick Dog that Fred of cocktail virgin slut unearthed for last month's MxMo nut challenge.

Avèze gentian liqueur (Suze), Smith & Cross, orgeat (homemade, walnut), lime juice, mint garnish.

14147603410_f474fbe6af_z.jpg

Flavor-wise, the Mai Tai reference was obvious, and the Smith and Cross worked surprisingly well with the Suze (I am therefore concluding that S&C is the new bartender's ketchup - improves every drink). The taste verged on being overly vegetal which muddied the overall impression, but was consistent with the name I suppose.