Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Brewing Ginger Beer

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,100 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:06 PM

This is the recipe aonis appears to be using.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#32 cdh

cdh
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:20 PM

If that's the recipe, then the "bug" is the starter. Either use it, or stick it in the fridge.
Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

----- De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#33 aonis

aonis
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:20 PM

This is the recipe aonis appears to be using.

View Post

slkinsey.....that is my recipe.

CDH -

I want to make ginger beer as a beginning that will eventually lead to beer and other things. Have you done much fermenting yourself?

#34 cdh

cdh
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

I want to make ginger beer as a beginning that will eventually lead to beer and other things.  Have you done much fermenting yourself?

View Post

Yup... click here.
Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

----- De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#35 Tom Gengo

Tom Gengo
  • participating member
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

Good grief I hope this becomes a trend! I went all over stupid tinytown and the vicinity last week looking for ginger ale made with suagr- I had a craving and nausea and I would have paid dearly- I couldn't find ANY! I ended up with a coffee soda- definitely not the same animal.

View Post

Hey Rebecca,

Looks like I am not the only insomniac around here. My repiratory system is excommunicating the rest of my body so I can not sleep at night. Regarding the ginger ale, just make your own :) It is not terribly difficult, but do follow the directions or you could create a "ginger ale bomb" and cleaning up would be tedious. Check out this link:

http://biology.clc.u...ger_Ale_Ag0.htm
Tom Gengo

#36 Rebecca263

Rebecca263
  • participating member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

I made gignerale! Well, honestly, it was more of a gingerbeer- very heady, and slightly alcoholic, I think. It came out too strong in flavor by far for my taste, but it certainly worked on my nausea!
More Than Salt
Visit Our Cape Coop Blog
Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma
Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

#37 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

I made my first ginger beer this weekend at a cooking/mixology class. The recipe and process are quite similar to what Jeffrey Morgenthaler posted on his blog here. Some differences: we used lavender to infuse the simple syrup. The ginger juice was rendered using a Vitamix. We also added some spices: coriander, celery, and fennel.

The stained mixture was fermented for two days with Champagne yeast. It is now very midly bubbly. I wished we had done one version without the spices because they are a little strong and it would be good to try the ginger beer in its own.

I tried it in a Dark and Stormy tonight with black strap rum.

Posted Image

The ginger recipe needs some tweaking but seems very promising. I would also like to try a non-fermented ginger beer for comparison purposes to see if it's worth going through all the trouble (it's quite a bit of work for the fermented version).

#38 CharlieHorse

CharlieHorse
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

I made my first ginger beer this weekend at a cooking/mixology class. The recipe and process are quite similar to what Jeffrey Morgenthaler posted on his blog here. Some differences: we used lavender to infuse the simple syrup. The ginger juice was rendered using a Vitamix. We also added some spices: coriander, celery, and fennel.

The stained mixture was fermented for two days with Champagne yeast. It is now very midly bubbly. I wished we had done one version without the spices because they are a little strong and it would be good to try the ginger beer in its own.

I tried it in a Dark and Stormy tonight with black strap rum.

The ginger recipe needs some tweaking but seems very promising. I would also like to try a non-fermented ginger beer for comparison purposes to see if it's worth going through all the trouble (it's quite a bit of work for the fermented version).

Not revive an old thread, but this is exactly the recipe that I use. One of the advantages of the champagne yeast is that it's pretty cheap (I think that I paid $.99 a packet) and stores in the freezer. When I make up a batch, I make about 4 liters at a time and it stores quite well in the fridge. I generally use the PET bottles that are sold for the Mr. Beer kits (I don't think that I put actual beer in them) and they're flexible enough that I don't have to worry about bottle bombs.

#39 Jamie212

Jamie212
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

You are talking my language! My best friend growing up was from Port Antonia, Jamaica. His mother would make ginger beer every year to drink throughout the summer holidays. I acquired a taste for it and have never looked back. If you want to give it a kick, a nice shot of Ray & Nephews Overproof White Rum will do you well.