Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Financiers: Tips & Techniques

French

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 Tepee

Tepee
  • participating member
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:12 AM

Don't have a flexipan (being a dinosaur, I'm a bit suspicious of that kind of pan), but I wonder if your problem can be solved by giving your filled pans a sharp tap or 2 before going into the oven?
TPcal!
Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

#62 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:20 AM

From my blog: http://forums.egulle...73

Posted Image Posted Image

#63 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:09 AM

We did mini financiers - chocolate and regular - in flexipans in school, as well as various flavors now at work, and haven't had the problem you're describing. As jackal10 said above, no butter or spray coating. Are you piping or spooning to fill the molds? We always pipe, which might elimiate bubbles. The only other thing I can think of is to look at the recipe you're using.

#64 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:57 AM

You can't blame your pans for items sticking if your buttering them. Give up using butter to coat any and all pans, in any and all baking recipes. The water content in butter messes with your release. Butter and flouring a pan, also gone! Neither come close to how well a spray on pan spray works. When you buy pan spray always double check on the back label that it doesn't contain water (again water makes stuff stick).

Any recipe author suggesting people use butter for a release coating is also an author that only gives you volume measurments. Both are inacurate.

You can give your filled pans a tap on the counter before placing them in the oven to help release any big air pockets. You can even tap a flexipan.

As for posting photos you must upload your photos into Imagegullet first. You'll find the button for that on the top center part of your page. Plus your images must be 640 pixels or less. Take a look here.

#65 David Lebovitz

David Lebovitz
  • participating member
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:24 AM

Here's a picture. It sure looks like air was trapped in the bottom...but I made sure there wasn't.
But thanks for the tips, all. I did whack the pan on the counter to make sure there were no air bubbles as well. I will try again tomorrow, a batch without buttering or greasing the Fleximolds.

Since I live out of the US, you can't get 'Pam' style non-stick spray from pure vegetable oil. You can buy the professional non-stick spray, but it's full of icky stuff.

(At Europain this week, I saw the new Matfer firm polycarbonate [I think] plastic baking pans, they look great.)

David's Financiers

Edited by David Lebovitz, 20 April 2005 - 08:25 AM.

#66 melmck

melmck
  • participating member
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:25 AM

I sell a lot of financiers! I spray mine, and I use Sysco pan spray, which is my favorite. The flexi pans are Lekue brand
quince, tart cherries, rhubarb financiers-yumyumyum!
Melissa McKinney
Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery
mel@criollobakery.com

#67 Kit

Kit
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:48 AM

aww, jackal! your tiny financier (with the red on the bottom right) is smiling at us!

#68 David Lebovitz

David Lebovitz
  • participating member
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:44 AM

http://forums.egulle...&album=1119.jpg

Okay, thanks all for the suggestions. I made 3 more batches, trying recipes other than mine, not greasing or buttering the molds, and tapping the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles, and still holes.

I think what I should do is make some madeleines (with the hump), fit 'em together, and call it a day!

Dave's final batch, Click: Holy Financiers

Edited by David Lebovitz, 21 April 2005 - 08:44 AM.

#69 melofunk

melofunk
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:14 PM

hmmm...what about the oven that you use? Are you using convection? Can you adjust the fan speed or check the temperature? Maybe the fan or temperature are set too high for the mini financiers? Something similar happened when I forgot to prick tart shells that I was prebaking. I think the thrust of heat from the oven coupled with the fact that the steam had nowhere to go caused the shells to have a similar "hole" (even with the bean weights).

By the way, even with the holes, your financiers look tasty!

Edited by melofunk, 21 April 2005 - 06:16 PM.

#70 melmck

melmck
  • participating member
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:43 PM

I've never had the holy problem, but I always do them in a convection oven. Are your financiers just beaten- in- egg whites or folded- in- whipped- whites? I just do beaten in. The texture is fab, and they stay moist forever & ever, Amen.

By the way David, you wouldn't beleive how many Chocolate Orbit Cakes I have made since scoring the first book! oh and Ginger Cake, by the thousands! It's my favorite--insanely gingery, the way it ought to be!
Melissa McKinney
mel@criollobakery.com

#71 KarenS

KarenS
  • participating member
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:21 PM

I really prefer metal pans over flexipans for financiers and madeleines (especially madelienes- the weight and heat of the metal produces superior results). I too use sysco pan spray; I spray, flour (whack), and spray. I then chill them in the freezer until very cold. I bake them on a preheated sheet tray in a 325 convection. Perfect hump, and they all release just lovely. i sell a lot of them in our Espresso Bar. Hi David- remember me? I ran into you at the Foodland in Honolulu- I work at Neiman Marcus Honolulu. I hope you are enjoying living in Paris! That is where I lived when I went to pastry school (in 89). I love it there! I have some very old heavy weight financier pans (they only need spray). They make the best financiers. I find that flexipans do not create a good crust or hump in madeleines. They come out more "cake like" with a soft surface on the shell side.

#72 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:08 AM

David: Are you baking them long enough? That looks like not a hole from an air bubble, but from where the partly cooked batter has collapsed as they cooled.

#73 David Lebovitz

David Lebovitz
  • participating member
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:33 AM

David: Are you baking them long enough? That looks like not a hole from an air bubble, but from where the partly cooked batter has collapsed as they cooled.

View Post

That's the bottom you're looking at. I flipped them over for the photo. (The tops looked great.)

The big test was last night, I had some French people try them all (all 9 batches) and they loved them, the taste, that is. So I think I will live with the holes and be happy with the flavor.

Like the Italian cookies, 'Brutti Ma Buoni'... "Ugly, but Good"

#74 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:43 AM

By the way David, you wouldn't beleive how many Chocolate Orbit Cakes I have made since scoring the first book!

View Post

Any chance you'd let the rest of us in on this? Which book?

Gosh David I've never seen holes like that before, thats a mystery. I don't really see how what you've coated your pans with could produce that.

How are you placing your batter into your pan? Are you scooping it, piping it...........?

#75 Rhea_S

Rhea_S
  • participating member
  • 648 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:31 AM

Any chance you'd let the rest of us in on this? Which book?

David's book: Room for Dessert

He has the Chocolate Orbit Cake recipe posted on his website: link

#76 David Lebovitz

David Lebovitz
  • participating member
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:34 AM

Ok, after spending a semi-sleepless night worrying about imperfect financiers (pastry people are obsessed, aren't we?) I went to Dehilleron and bought some metal financier molds to try again. I had asked Nick Malgieri what he thought and he mentioned that it may be the fault of the Flexipans. I asked the salesclerk at Dehilleron and he told me that many people had problems with the Flexipans as well.
Grrrr.

So I tried one last batch. Waited until they emerged from my oven, flipped one out and...

....air pockets!

Oh well, can't say I didn't try. Here's the recipe I finally came up with. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

Chocolate Financiers
Makes about 15 one-inch financiers

6 tablespoons (3 ounces/90 gr) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup (90 gr) sliced almonds
3 tablespoons (20 gr) Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
1 (10 gr) flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (90 gr) powdered sugar
1/3 cup egg whites (about 2 whites from extra-large eggs)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat the oven to 425º F (220º C). Lightly grease financier molds, or ungreased Flexipan, and place on sturdy baking sheet.

1. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and set aside until room temperature.
2. In a food processor or blender, grind the almond with the cocoa, flour, salt and powdered sugar. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl.
3. Stir the egg whites in the ground almond mixture, then gradually stir in the melted butter until incorporated and smooth.
4. Spoon the batter into the molds, filling them 3/4’s full.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until slightly puffed and springy to the touch. Remove from oven and cool completely before removing from molds.
6. Fill any air bubbles in the bottom with ganache (...just kidding!)

#77 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:26 PM

Well I sort of ran into similar yesterday at work. I was baking some petite cakes in a rose shaped mold I have, and NOTHING would get the air pockets out for me. The batter was pretty heavy and the pans edges didn't sloop outward so when I tapped the heck out of it, the air remained where it was in the first place. It couldn't rise thru the thick batter or slide around to the side of the pan and then upward...it was trapped.

The way to resolve this is to pipe your batter into your pan. Keep you bag close to the bottom of your mold so your really forcing the batter into full contact with the pan. That should work.

Also I really want to thank-you for sharing your recipe, thanks!

#78 tan319

tan319
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:41 AM

Hi All!
I was making chocolate financiers and an orange scented one in those mini flexi molds and just chalked up any little holes in the bottom to...?
The chocolates were the only ones to do it semi regularly.
Didn't stop them from being superfine to eat though.
Oh, I baked them at 350 convection, fan high usually, about 15 minutes, egg whites barely beated, folded in.
2317/5000

#79 melmck

melmck
  • participating member
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:11 AM

This is my favorite financier recipe:

20 oz. browned butter
1 vanilla bean, split & scraped
10 oz. ground almonds
10 oz. AP flour
30 oz. powdered sugar, sifted
2 1/2 C. egg whites
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Put vanilla bean into browned butter and let cool slightly. Mix dry ingredients, add whites and then drizzle in butter. Spray molds and fill halfway. Covection oven 325 degrees.
Melissa McKinney
mel@criollobakery.com

#80 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

I was testing a new chocolate financier recipe this weekend to see if it was better than the one we made in school. I baked both recipes in various shapes of silicone molds (Silicone Flex brand) and the low and behold I got the dreaded air bubbles on the bottoms of the recipe from class. However, the new recipe came out perfectly smooth with no deformations. The two recipes did vary slightly in ingredient proportions, but the new recipe did contain about 2 grams of baking powder that the old recipe didn't. While they didn't rise much more than the others, it's possible that may have made the difference.

Anyway, something to try. :smile:

#81 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:58 AM

A friend showed me some financiers she wasn't happy with today - rather heavy texture, with centers a bit translucent, although they were not undercooked. As she is a qualified pastry instructor, she was ticked off! You may see her here on eGullet in due course, but meanwhile...

Likely causes?

Several Japanese recipes specify at least as much butter as eggwhite (by weight), which is a higher proportion than any of the recipes given in this topic.

I suspect that part of her trouble is that she didn't really get the butter to a noisette stage, so maybe there was too much moisture....or maybe she mixed the butter in when it was too hot...or maybe there was just too much butter?

What about sugar - is the fineness of the granulation a big issue - I'm inclined to think not, though Japanese granulated sugar is quite coarse, while the conventional sugar is slightly moist and has some invert sugar in it - should be fine for financiers?

Flour - what sort of protein content would be best here? She's an organics enthusiast, so I'm guessing she may have used a domestic flour with no more than 10% protein maximum.

Nut flours - recipes in this thread vary from equal parts nuts/flours to around 3 parts nuts/1 part flours. Preferences?

And finally...what kind of texture do you think of as ideal for financiers? Somewhere I read that they are basically the same as madeleines, but that doesn't ring a bell with me at all - I'm quite happy to have my teeth meet a little resistance in a financier...wrong?

#82 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

just a quick response with regard to texture: recipes i've used (and i love financiers) call for baking at a high temperature at first and then lowering the temp partway through baking. this way, you get a great crust with a dense and moist interior. i've definitely had them come out a bit 'translucent' in the middle without being raw...possibly just a touch underbaked.

here's my favorite recipe:
7 oz almond meal
7 oz powdered sugar (american versions do have some cornstarch in it)
3/4 C granulated sugar (table sugar)
9 oz egg whites
2 tablespoons liqueur of your choice
splash of vanilla extract
3/4 C all purpose flour (american all purpose is around 11% protein)
pinch salt
7 oz browned butter (weight after cooking)

please excuse the fact that i have volume and weight in the same recipe. this is a very old recipe of mine. you can see how it compares to the recipe that your friend uses.

#83 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:28 PM

The texture you describe sounds just perfect. Would you reduce oven temp to around 180C/350F, or down as far as 160C/325F?

She has a newish and fairly small oven - I'm thinking that maybe temps are dropping too far when she puts the batter in at the beginning.

I checked her recipe earlier today - nearly twice as much butter by weight as sugar or egg whites, and her recipe called for whole egg too. So I gave her Nightscotsman's recipe to try.

Your recipe's instruction to weigh butter after browning sounds sensible - I'll work out a conversion and try it. At a glance, it looks as if the proportions are pretty similar to nightscotsman's and similar recipes, but with more flour/nut meal.

#84 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:21 AM

when using a commercial convection oven, i'd start baking at around 400F and reduce to 325-350F. i realized that the most recent times i've baked these, it has been at home in a crappy NOT calibrated oven, so who knows what temp i'm baking at. i do keep a pizza stone in my oven all the time which i think helps to hold the heat in the oven a little bit better. you can recommend that to your friend.

i think the extra butter and the egg yolks might make her recipe much heavier. let us know how they turn out.

#85 afoodie

afoodie
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:43 AM

HI,
I want to try the financier recipe from my new Paco Torreblanca's book which is written in Spanish and English and in the recipe he uses „mantequilla avellana“ what is translated as hazelnut butter – most recipes that I know call for beurre noisette, also called brown butter so I am whandering if maybe the translation is wrong?

#86 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

HI,
I want to try the financier recipe from my new Paco Torreblanca's book which is written in Spanish and English and in the recipe he uses „mantequilla avellana“ what is translated as hazelnut butter – most recipes that I know call for beurre noisette, also called brown butter so I am whandering if maybe the translation is wrong?

View Post

noisette = hazelnut in french

so, while we english speakers call it brown butter, in other languages it really is called 'hazelnut' butter, which i think is just because of the nutty aroma

#87 LoneSavant

LoneSavant
  • participating member
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

The best financier I've had in awhile was at the Standard Baking Company in Portland, ME...it was dense and firm, instead of puffy and cakey, supremely chewy, and so carmelized and buttery tasting that I was amazed it didnt ooze butter when i bit into it.

I've been trying to recreate it ever since, to no avail. All the recipes I try turn out tender, delicate little almond cakes with a faint perfume of beurre noisette-- which are great, but I want a SBC rustic, chewy, caramel confection! Help!
Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar
"life is a combination of magic and pasta"
-F. Fellini
"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."
-J. Child

#88 Tiny

Tiny
  • participating member
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:00 AM

Recipe we learned in cookies class...pretty tasty....

FINANCIER

Ingredient Amount

Almond flour 1# 1 oz
Sugar 12 oz.
Cornstarch 3 oz
Salt pinch

Egg whites 12 oz.
Honey 4 oz

Butter, (noissette) 10 oz.

Raspberries or blueberries, frozen
Method:
1. Make the buerre noissette first, and set aside to cool.
2. Combine the dry ingredients.
3. Add egg whites in parts. Mix until combined. Add honey. Scrape.
4. Slowly add the melted butter until incorporated.
Scaling Instructions:
Pipe into tartlet molds (black rubber mats) Garnish with frozen fruit (raspberries, blueberries) before baking.
Baking Instructions:
Bake in a 375°F oven until the edges are light brown.

#89 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

Resurrecting this thread - made a batch of financiers this am in metal tins and got the dreaded holes mentioned above.  Had always assumed it was secondary to the silicone flexipans I bake them in at home.  

DSCN1708.jpg

DSCN1709.jpg

Interestingly the second pan I baked which had a little less batter per and sat for 30 minutes or so before baking had minimal to no holes.  

Third batch - sat longer - more holes - so much for that theory.

#90 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

Holes in financiers? I never had this problem. What recipe are you using Kerry? I bake mine in normal (not mini) muffin pans that I fill half full.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: French