Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

DEMO: Making Chocolate Transfer Sheets

Confections Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 eskay

eskay
  • participating member
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:22 PM

I know I'm a little late past the post, but I'm pretty handy with photoshop and wanted to offer my services if anyone has image editing they can't do.
Kate

#62 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:07 AM

Most annoying but I realize that the frog is backwards.  He should have his right side reaching up.  I have a better copy of the original artwork now so perhaps I'll repeat this one, turned the right way around. 

Posted Image

View Post

Y'know, I like seeing the underside of the frog. It's almost as if the frog's inside the chocolate, and you're seeing him cling to the top as if it were a window. (The partner to this view would be the cat sliding down from the outside of the chocolate... :biggrin: )

MelissaH
MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#63 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:33 PM

Y'know, I like seeing the underside of the frog. It's almost as if the frog's inside the chocolate, and you're seeing him cling to the top as if it were a window. (The partner to this view would be the cat sliding down from the outside of the chocolate... :biggrin: )

MelissaH

View Post

A transfer of a cat sliding down a chocolate is a brilliant idea. Now where would I get a picture?

#64 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:48 AM

MelissaH

View Post

A transfer of a cat sliding down a chocolate is a brilliant idea. Now where would I get a picture?

View Post

Unfortunately, we've since moved from that house, so we have neither window nor frogs anymore. I think you'd need two people: one outside the window with the cat-tempter, and the other inside with the camera set up. I'm afraid I won't be of much help.

Wouldn't this be even cuter in 3D? The frog's underside up on one end, and the sprawled-cat-from-above down below?

MelissaH
MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#65 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

Posted Image

I've been doing a bit more silkscreening lately and made a 20 by 24 inch screen with a bunch of little stick figures on it. Tonight I printed a couple of pages of transfers and used them to decorate some mint meltaways. I'll be interested to see how well they transfer after I peel off the plastic in the am.

Unfortunately while I was cleaning the screen using the heat gun to melt the coloured cocoa butter I did manage to pop a hole in one of the zebras. Most annoying.

#66 sote23

sote23
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hi Kerry,
I was just wondering the other day, what happened to your silkscreening adventures.
Luis

#67 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

Hi Kerry,
I was just wondering the other day, what happened to your silkscreening adventures.
Luis

View Post

I recently got involved in making up some screens for a pastry chef at Niagara College - he will be competing in competitions using 'dead dough' where he uses unleavened bread dough to make figures. Really something. The screens were a beautiful mill wheel and a baker putting a loaf of bread into a wood oven with a peel.

I've asked for pictures when he's used the screens.

Here is an eG link to decorative bread using dead dough.

#68 Lloydchoc

Lloydchoc
  • participating member
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

Dawn Dishwashing soap and hot water does a great job of cleaning screens. It's very easy to put a hole in a screen using a heat gun.

#69 sote23

sote23
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:17 AM

Hi Kerry,
Luis

View Post

I recently got involved in making up some screens for a pastry chef at Niagara College - he will be competing in competitions using 'dead dough' where he uses unleavened bread dough to make figures. Really something. The screens were a beautiful mill wheel and a baker putting a loaf of bread into a wood oven with a peel.

I've asked for pictures when he's used the screens.

Here is an eG link to decorative bread using dead dough.

View Post

thanks for the update. sounds interesting
Luis

#70 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:09 PM

I'm up in Manitoulin Island again and Beth (from the Manitoulin Chocolate Works) and I were playing this evening making some transfers. As you will recall from the beginning of this thread - it was Beth and I that started playing with this last year at about this time. We've learned a lot since then thanks to the help of eG'ers and some screen printing folk.

We practiced getting the texture of the cocoa butter and colour right then Beth said - "what would happen if we just dragged some colour across the screen?" - so we decided to find out.

I have one screen that I use to put a white layer behind the Jackson Pollock transfer and we hauled that out.

Posted Image
We started by putting some globs of colour along the top.

Posted Image
Then we dragged the squeegie through the colour and across the screen.

Posted Image
This was the first image we got.

Posted Image
Over time the colours became more mixed and we added some smaller blobs of new colour.

Posted Image
One of the later prints.

Eventually of course we ended up with brown and that's where we called it quits.

So you see you can get some nice effects at minimum cost.

#71 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:41 AM

Cool - now playing artist...when you got to that pastel screen you can't add another layer because it would be covered by the pastel in the final print, but if you reversed the order and let's say hand painted swirls or polka dots, dried, then did the pastel spread. Or, have you tried doing a screen, and while wet, carving away at it to reveal blank transfer, then doing another screen?

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#72 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:13 AM

Cool - now playing artist...when you got to that pastel screen you can't add another layer because it would be covered by the pastel in the final print, but if you reversed the order and let's say hand painted swirls or polka dots, dried, then did the pastel spread.  Or, have you tried doing a screen, and while wet, carving away at it to reveal blank transfer, then doing another screen?

View Post

We were bouncing around some ideas like that last night. If you had a polka dotted or swirled pattern screen - then did this effect over it...

#73 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:19 AM

Cool stuff Kerry.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#74 sote23

sote23
  • participating member
  • 506 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:20 PM

keep up the good work kerry, and soon enough, you'll be selling transfer sheets to everyone on the board. lol
Luis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections, Chocolate