Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cook-tops: Gas and/or Induction?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 dabutcha76

dabutcha76
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

I used to be firmly in the 'Gas'-camp. Having cooked on electric and ceramics (the ones with the heat lamps, not sure what you guys call them stateside), I was convinced any electric kind of cookery wouldn't be for me. However, as we got our new place in 2011, there was an B-brand induction unit in the installed kitchen - and with money pretty tight after some 'minor' refurbishing, I was kind-of forced to give it a go. Most pans turned out to work (think I threw out 2 that were leftovers of my student days), so that was a bonus.

At first, I found it to be acceptable: there is a bit of a learning curve as to what setting to use for which application, as opposed to 'just' judging flame size. I think it took me about a month to get the hang of it and I was 'quite ok' with using it.

Fast forward a couple of years: I decided to do some remodeling of the kitchen, as I REALLY hated the built-in electric oven. I decided I wanted a Neff oven due to its brilliant Slide 'n Hide door system which I saw on the Great British Bake off. As it turned out, the old induction hob didn't fit above the new oven, so I had to get a new hob as well. With both gas and proper electrics available, the choice was wholly open.

Being 'quite ok' with the induction setup and having been quite happy with gas in years before, I decided to go out and test some setups. Fortunately, there's a wealth of great kitchen stores in the area, and they were all happy to accommodate some testing during 'cook-ins' they organize. I'll save you the details, but at the end of the day, I ended up with induction, although it was a pretty close call: I still like gas a lot, especially for the 'oomph' it has, but I got a flex induction setup (also from Neff, also available in 90cm/36"), which gave me so much flexibility on the stove top, it won in the end. I don't have the space for it, but I wouldn't have mind a large, high BTU, wok-burner on the side - although I can reach pretty some awesome heat with the hob's 'Power'-setting - prawns just get done in an eye blink.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem the Neff brand is available in the US. Bosch and Siemens have similar setups, though - and they come from the same BSH-manufacturing plant ;-)

#32 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:10 AM

@lindag, go to http://www.gardenweb.com and search on "induction" in "home".   Lots of models, lots of opinions.... 

Thanks, Barb, I'll look in it. 

#33 Raamo

Raamo
  • participating member
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

MC did effeciency testing of Gas vs Electic Coil vs Induction.... and Induction is the most efficent - but not by leaps and bounds like some would say.

If you can put up with it's limitations it's pretty darn amazing.

I've got a 30" Thermadore induction cook top and from boiling water to searing it's got the power and the control.  The surface doesn't get crazy hot even when the poots sure do and if I really need to use a flame that's what a blow torch is for.

#34 muddleaged

muddleaged
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

When considering an expensive purchase with no experience, it would make sense to me to "try" it out.  One option I found is looking for induction burner on amazon.  There are lots with varying reviews, including many under $100.  

I have not tried yet, but I'm considering one to use for summer canning so I can work on the porch rather than heating/steaming the kitchen.

And it would give me an extra burner to pull out for those few times I need one.  One of the amazon reviewers said s/he puts it on the sink counter for when she needs quick/easy access to water.

I may be talking my self into one as I write. . . 

#35 MikeMac

MikeMac
  • society donor
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

I have both gasand induction. Once you get used to not seeing the flame I am firmly in the induction camp. Only issue is with portable units you are limited to 15 amp 110 V which does the job but takes its time with big pots if you have 220 40 Amp hang on for the rife it's SOO fast you will burn things at first.

Only thing induction can not do is light Flambés by just tilting the pan you will need a match.
Mike Macdonald Calgary

#36 cyalexa

cyalexa
  • participating member
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:06 AM

I have both gasand induction. Once you get used to not seeing the flame I am firmly in the induction camp. Only issue is with portable units you are limited to 15 amp 110 V which does the job but takes its time with big pots if you have 220 40 Amp hang on for the rife it's SOO fast you will burn things at first.

Only thing induction can not do is light Flambés by just tilting the pan you will need a match.

I got induction because there is no natural gas in my area and I didn't want a propane tank in my yard. I am very happy with my induction cook top and would now always choose one over gas.  I also have a portable hob and while it is useful, you are right, it is nowhere near as powerful and, at least with the inexpensive model I bought, it has a pretty noticeable hot spot and far fewer adjustment levels. Also, induction cannot be used to char tortillas or peppers. 

#37 MikeMac

MikeMac
  • society donor
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

You can char on induction you are correct it's not as easy as using an open flame use a cast iron pot on full. Usually the max temp allowed by a induction burner is around 500 F so you are right its wimpy. I have a Cooktek unit.
Mike Macdonald Calgary