Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Salt containers

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 jgarner53

jgarner53
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

Add me to the list of owners of the AB salt cellar. Mine's even signed! (under the lid)
"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner
buttercream pastries

#32 Dianabanana

Dianabanana
  • participating member
  • 592 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:08 PM

I keep mine in a white porcelain ramekin, covered by the white porcelain lid from a broken Chinese tea mug. I only fill it halfway, so it only has a few weeks before it gets empty, then it goes through the dishwasher. I stick my fingers right in there, but I'm a pretty compulsive handwasher. I'm careful not to get garlicky fingers in it, because that's a nasty surprise the next morning in your pancakes. Even so, I usually get the package of salt out when baking, just to be safe.

#33 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

I've always used salt cellars but I wonder if a shaker would be easier to use, as you can use just one hand.

This Norpro adjustable shaker looks ideal and has good reviews on Amazon.

• andiesenji likes this

#34 LBNoble

LBNoble
  • participating member
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

I use 2 of those generic glass jars that pizzerias use for red peppers (i also have different sea salts in their original containers)they're on the side of the stove w/ 3 pepper mills-2 black, 1 white. Szechuan peppercorns are in a plastic container in the cupboard.

#35 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

I've always used salt cellars but I wonder if a shaker would be easier to use, as you can use just one hand.

This Norpro adjustable shaker looks ideal and has good reviews on Amazon.

Since I last posted in this thread in 2007, I have added a couple of salt cellars to my collection and also bought three or four of these Norpro shakers.  They do "leak" a bit with very fine salt, if your turn them over and shake to loosen clumped salt. (And also cinnamon, because I use one for my cinnamon/sugar mix). 

They are also handy for other things that are used for "dusting" - one holds cornstarch and another powdered sugar (with a couple of the SecaPac desiccant thingys to keep that from clumping). 

This is a good price, they were 12.99 when I bought mine.  I actually bought five - and am now wondering where I put the other one...  Must be a "senior" moment...

In any event, I ALWAYS have a spoon (or more than one) in the salt cellars - as you can see in the photo on the previous page.  DO NOT LEAVE AN ALUMINUM OR OTHER METAL SPOON in the salt - it will pit it - take my word for it, I speak from personal experience.  I have had salt eat through the bottom of an aluminum salt shaker that was not emptied before it was put into storage.  Plastic measuring spoons are CHEAP and with one right in the container, you don't have to look for one when you need it.

Edited by andiesenji, 22 December 2013 - 09:14 AM.

• judiu likes this
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening