Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

palagaram and chaat

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ecr

ecr
  • participating member
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

I'm a freelance writer based in Kuala Lumpur - at the moment doing some research on Indian snacks. I've just recently found a shop here that does chaat from 4pm onwards. And I've also been investigating Tamil shops that serve snacks like yogurt-soaked vadai (thairu vadai) and kolakkatta. From what I've been able to glean by talking to customers, these palagaram are eaten at any time of the day, breakfast to past dinner, whereas chaat are generally afternoon-to-evening foods.

Is this correct?

There is lots of info on chaat on the web (and there was that piece in the NYT recently), but not much on palagaram, other than that palagaram were originally festival foods, particular ones associated with particular festivals ... but that now they are considered everyday foods (snacks).

Can anyone fill me in on palagaram (and correct any misunderstanding I may have of chaat and the role of chaat in the N Indian daily diet -- I have read the chaat thread, BTW) .... or direct me to a site or set me on the trail of a Tamil foodie who might be able to set me straight?

Thanks in advance....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist