Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eGfoodblog: Dave Hatfield

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
192 replies to this topic

#181 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

I am so glad that I was able to 'get back' to egullet in time to respond to your blog. I have enjoyed this so much. If I never realize my dream of travel, I will have had a lovely taste of rural France thanks to you, Dave. I have taken lovely walks with you and Rupert. I have eaten your glorious apricot tart. I have smelled heavenly cheeses - both subtle and stinky! I have gone along on your road trips and seen incomparable views! Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us, Dave. And for enriching my life!

Kim

#182 nyokie6

nyokie6
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

Enjoyed the "trip"

#183 Dave Hatfield

Dave Hatfield
  • participating member
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:45 AM

Paul and I think that the "little brother" is for clamping tubing, and perhaps a more confortable corkscrew!

View Post

You're right about the tubing.

And, it's a corkscrew for 1/2 bottles.

Dave

(just joking)

Edited by Dave Hatfield, 09 July 2007 - 12:59 AM.

#184 Dave Hatfield

Dave Hatfield
  • participating member
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:49 AM

ote]

My French has gotten all rusty and barnacled over the decades since I took it in high school, but it looks like the "all dark chocolate" dessert has some sort of sweet-and-savory, sweet-and-pungent riffs going on.

Mousse with Szechuan peppercorns? Chocolate creme with fleur de sel (sea salt, right?)?

How were those two?

View Post

Your translation is pretty good. Yes to both plus the ice cream with cardamome.

I didn't have it, but those who did were delighted.

Linda & i had the apricot dessert and were over the moon!

#185 sharonb

sharonb
  • participating member
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:25 AM

This is the first eGullet blog I've read, and today when people started talking about it being over, I felt bereft! Dave, this was just brilliant, and I admit to checking in several times a day. Bravo!

#186 Pan

Pan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:47 AM

Fantastic blog, Dave! I loved the whole thing, but perhaps my favorite part of it was the photojournalism of the errand you did with Rupert. You, Linda, and Rupert obviously have a wonderful joie de vivre, and it's great that you've had the experience of being accepted by a friendly community. I have not been to that part of rural France but did experience the effusive friendliness of people in Burgundy and the Loire Valley during a trip in 2002, and it reminded me very much of my experiences in Italy.

#187 Domestic Goddess

Domestic Goddess
  • participating member
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:09 AM

Dave, again many thanks for taking us with you to your wonderful village and letting us glimpse a part of your life. Thank you for teaching me how to prepare the wonderful Salad Nicoise. I hope to see you once again here soon.
Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

#188 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:54 AM

Thank you!
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#189 hsm

hsm
  • participating member
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

More thanks for everything. It was the next best thing to being there.

#190 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

Thank you for sharing with us. I feel as if I've been on vacation by reading your blog, thanks for taking all of us along for the trip!

#191 Peter the eater

Peter the eater
  • participating member
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

That was a lovely yarn. Its been nearly twenty years since I spent a summer touring France by bicycle and munching voraciously. Your blog set off a few welcomed flashbacks for me.
Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .
Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .
Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

#192 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

This has been one of my favorite food blogs yet. I would love to one day retire to France like you.

Rupert is also my favorite of the pets featured on food blogs!

#193 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

This is a sauce made locally here in the Rouergue and which is a traditional addition to magret. I first learned of it from Jeanne Strang's book "Goose Fat & Garlic". I highly recommend this book by the way. If you like the Paula Wolfert book on South Western French cooking you'll also love this book. In addition to the recipes Jeanne describes a way of life that continues in this area, but is slowly fading away.

View Post

If I can't have more of your blog, Dave, then I will console myself with "Goose Fat & Garlic" for the next few days. Thanks for recommending this - it's a terrific read.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog