Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Making Soy Sauce At Home

Chinese Condiments

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#91 sambuckens

sambuckens
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

Hello again.  So I've begun my 2nd attempt at soy sauce.  Instead of trying to let wild mold inoculate the soy &wheat patties, I've bought some rice koji and mixed some with the patties.  They are now covered in some lovely aspergillus mold, and the smell is actually fantastic.  They smell like sweet, nutty fresh dough.  Also, the bamboo steamers add an awesome accent smell.  These have been molding for 5 days now, so I'm going to give them another day or two before drying.  Another thing I was not expecting was how warm the stacks of bamboo steamers became while the mold was growing.  It was easily 20 degrees Fahrenheit warmer in the steamers, and there was actually condensation on the underside of the bamboo lid.  Weird, wild stuff...

2mx29f5.jpg

• Shelby likes this

#92 Logs N Lounges Wood

Logs N Lounges Wood
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

Wow looks really good cant wait to see how this turns out. I have not found any one that sells koji over here and to import any here is a huge pain and very costly, we have had a postal strike since June and no idea of when it might end. any thing that is imported here that tax is half of the item and to get it securely delivered means a courier company and then its hard to get the seller to put the value on.For now I will have to go really old school and take what wild yeast lands on my cookies. I will try my luck asking around the asian markets maybe some body might have a lead. I really like how its moulding looks different. I am really interested in how you say the smell is good. Wish you all the best and cant wait to see how it turned out.

#93 sambuckens

sambuckens
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

In reference to you not being able to find koji for sale, I might have a solution.  If there are any homebrew supply stores anywhere nearby, they usually sell sake making ingredients

sake_homebrew_kit.jpg

The kit shown here contains aspergillus oryzae spores that you can use to inoculate stuff.

#94 Logs N Lounges Wood

Logs N Lounges Wood
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for the advice I am looking into it. I have also been home brewing here for a while and in the UK and I have never come a across something like that here(that's way too foreing for most people to try here lol ) When I lived in the uk the brew shops were really good as for the ones here they seem very basic and only catering for local taste and demand(which I understand) Sushi is a relatively new "popular" fad here, most of my friends eat it but when they see how I make real soy sauce they wont ever try it never mind kimchi. I will keep searching and see what I i can find or wait till some one visits or I move back to the UK(not the same heat and summer as here) Where abouts in the world are you? My non gmo soy beans will be planted very soon in between my strawberry pop corn that is just starting to show them selves. I want the popcorn to get a head start before the the soy adds is magic nitro, The summer rains are trying to start here. I am at 1600m above sea level

Edited by Logs N Lounges Wood, 29 September 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#95 sambuckens

sambuckens
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

I live in Boston, MA so it's fairly easy to get my hands on brewing equipment or things from asian markets.  If I get any other ideas or sources, I'll let you know.

#96 Logs N Lounges Wood

Logs N Lounges Wood
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:28 AM

Thank you any ideas will be greatly received, I might know a friend that has family coming over around xmas. I will see if they might be willing to bring some over for me. That will still give me 5 months of really good hot all round weather. During the winter months it does get very cold during the night and morning but still plenty of sun and can get some really hot hours during the day. Its not unheard of to dress like a eskimo in the morning wear a short sleeved shirt during the day get a sunburn and hide by the log fire at night during winter. I am going to start my next batch with brown rice flour very soon just waiting for the mulberry leaves to get bigger, I would rather pick and wash a few big ones than do a load of small ones. Slightly off topic but I saw last night on a food/cooking show on Loas that they make a tea from the silk worm droppings. I never saw that when I visited. The kids over here this time of year have them as pets I might get a handfull from one of the kids next door and try it out  :huh: They said it was like a green tea. 

#97 bionut

bionut
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

Hello,

this is my first post on this forum :D

I want to make my own soy sauce because, as a student, i find the good soy sauces in the stores pretty expensive. I could buy very cheap soy sauce in plastic canisters up to 20 liters from some chinese stores, deep in the "china town", but many of them doesn't have english labels on them and i am afraid for my health. Most probably they are chemicaly made in a very short time... The sad part is that a lot of chinese restaurant buy their sauces from them...

How does the soy sauce made without koji-kin spores taste? Can you tell that it's something wrong with it, or it is similar with the original thing?

I could buy koji kin for sake but i need to order online, and it cost about 15-20 euros. Too expensive having in mind that it is possible that something goes wrong in the fermentation process.

I plan to give it a try next week, after i will put my hands on some soy beans from the country side. The sun is shy this time of the year, but i saw a video about traditional shoyu making where they kept the soy-brine slury inside, so i want to try and see what happens.

PS: sorry for my bad english, isn't my native language.

Edited by bionut, 10 October 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#98 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:16 AM

Welcome to eGullet, bionut. I hope someone can answer your question. Please let us know how it works for you if you try to make your own without the koji-kin.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#99 Logs N Lounges Wood

Logs N Lounges Wood
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

Bad news on my second batch of brown rice flour cookies(gluten free). Everything was going well they where sitting nicely doing what they where meant too. I checked today only to see that I forgot to replace the towel over the steamer that stops the bugs getting in. I opened it up to see tiny little flies maybe fruit flies all over them any to my horror laid little pupae type things all over them :angry: So I threw them away. In the mean time the other batch is still sunning away nice and happly will add pics soon.

#100 bionut

bionut
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:26 AM

Hello again,

here you can see some pictures taken along my  homemade soy sauce experiment.

What do you think about the mold? I didn't expected so much mold...2014-10-13 15.15.02.jpg  2014-10-14 23.25.44.jpg  2014-10-14 23.26.58.jpg  2014-10-19 14.42.32.jpg  2014-10-19 14.42.38.jpg  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese, Condiments