Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Aperitivo Americano

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#61 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

Making a Kina Cocktail:

1 1/2 oz Citadelle gin
3/4 oz M&R sweet
3/4 oz Cocchi

Stir, strain, and I added a lemon twist. Sort of a drier Martinez. Lovely.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#62 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

2 oz Whitley Neill Gin
1 oz Cocchi Americano
1/2 tsp Leopold Bros. absinthe
2 dashes Jerry Thomas Decanter bitters

Stir, strain, lemon twist.

A very nice variation on the usual theme, with the floral, citrusy notes of the Whitley Neill and the floral, citrusy notes of the Cocchi grounded by the JTD bitters. The Leopold Bros. bind it all together.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#63 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

I guess I think that the JTD bitters go well with the Cocchi. Made this Bijou variation tonight:

2 oz Plymouth gin
1 oz green Chartreuse
1 oz Cocchi
2 dashes Jerry Thomas Decanter bitters

Stir; strain; no garnish.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#64 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

Last night, I made Dave Wondrich's Weeski with Cocchi. I was curious to see how it would play in a drink that was designed with modern-day Lillet in mind. Naturally, it simply made it better. In fact, if Cocchi were available in my local jurisdiction, I don't think I could ever go back to Lillet...
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#65 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

I sure haven't.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#66 campus five

campus five
  • participating member
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Ditto.

#67 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

I really like the Cocchi as well. I tried it side by side with Lillet in a Corpse Reviver No. 2 and a Vesper and liked it much better than Lillet in both.

However for one of my favorite cocktails, the White Negroni, I have to admit after much testing that Lillet is a better choice. So Lillet still has its use.

#68 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

Interesting, FrogPrincesse! I tried a Corpse Reviver No. 2 with Cocchi last year on a visit to Portland, and that was what drove it from "this might be an interesting ingredient" to "I must acquire a bottle." When I finally got around to acquiring one, one of the drinks I tried was the Brown Bomber, and I found it merely meh - but I'd never had one before, so I had no basis of comparison like I do with the White Negroni. I haven't tried it in a White Negroni yet, but it's definitely on my list.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#69 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

When I finally got around to acquiring one, one of the drinks I tried was the Brown Bomber, and I found it merely meh - but I'd never had one before, so I had no basis of comparison like I do with the White Negroni.

I think that the Brown Bomber is an amazing drink - but I make it with Lillet (as specified in the PDT cocktail book)!

#70 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Last night, I made Dave Wondrich's Weeski with Cocchi. I was curious to see how it would play in a drink that was designed with modern-day Lillet in mind. Naturally, it simply made it better.

Drinking just that right now, with Redbreast as the spirit: marvelous.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#71 thampik

thampik
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

These posts are doing my head in :laugh: so much so that I have just ordered some Lillet Blanc and Cocchi to see what the fuss is about!

#72 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

A very nice variation on the usual theme, with the floral, citrusy notes of the Whitley Neill and the floral, citrusy notes of the Cocchi grounded by the JTD bitters. The Leopold Bros. bind it all together.

Chris,

Sorry to go back a year, but do you still have a source for the Whitley Neill, or were you finishing a bottle -- I'm still hoping they start up U.S. distribution again.

And the thought of a Weeski with Redbreast and Cocchi is, like Thampik said, doing things in my head that are hard to describe, and it's not even noon here yet . . . .

Edited by Yojimbo, 23 June 2012 - 08:20 AM.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

#73 thampik

thampik
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

The Lillet and the Cocchi have arrived!

I have wasted little time in trying a Corpse Reviver #2 and a White Negroni.

The Negroni (1:1:1/2 of Gordon's London Dry, Cocchi Americano, Noilly Prat) was immense.

I was not as keen on the Corpse Reviver - though I had to sub Grand Marnier for Cointreau and had no absinthe.

Next up - Vesper.

#74 thampik

thampik
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

And BTW, thanks to all the regular posters for what is a veritable education on cocktails!

#75 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

The Negroni (1:1:1/2 of Gordon's London Dry, Cocchi Americano, Noilly Prat) was immense.

I was not as keen on the Corpse Reviver - though I had to sub Grand Marnier for Cointreau and had no absinthe.

Next up - Vesper.

Don't think that's a negroni - maybe a reverse martini?

#76 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

Next up - Vesper.

Don't think that's a negroni - maybe a reverse martini?

I noticed that there was a "White Negroni" recipe that seemed to be floating around (including on Serious Eats) with gin, Cocchi Americano, and dry vermouth.
It has little to do with Wayne Collins' original version (gin, Suze, Lillet) though.

#77 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

Yeah, I'm all for tweaking recipes to accommodate ingredients that aren't on hand, but I don't think Aperitivo Americano is close enough to a potable bitter to qualify this for the "Negroni" moniker. This variation sounds like a good drink, but it deserves its own name.

Also, thampik, I would encourage you to pick up some Cointreau and some absinthe or pastis and try the Corpse Reviver again. Grand Marnier might work (I've never tried it), but absinthe is what really brings the drink together, as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I think the Corpse Reviver No. 2 is one of the greats.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#78 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

And do try a white negroni as well - I had a great version with Bittermen's Amere Sauvage at Amor y Amargo last week (made with Lillet, but the Apertivo Americano couldn't hurt)

#79 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

Now that Suze is back in the U.S. it'd be interesting to try the original White Negroni with Cocchi subbed in . . .

and if any more votes are needed on the Corpse Reviver: yeah, it's like Mkayahara said (channeling Jeff Lebowski?), the absinthe really ties it all together.
"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

#80 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

Now that Suze is back in the U.S. it'd be interesting to try the original White Negroni with Cocchi subbed in . . .

and if any more votes are needed on the Corpse Reviver: yeah, it's like Mkayahara said (channeling Jeff Lebowski?), the absinthe really ties it all together.

I keep hearing that Suze is now available in the US. Are there more details available somewhere? I have not been able to find it so far.

Regarding the Corpse Reviver No. 2, the absinthe is a key component. Pastis works too since it's only a rinse. The Corpse Reviver No. 2 is indeed a fantastic drink, so I think it's worth tracking down all the components. Plus you will get to make the cocktails from the Pernod, Herbsaint, Pastis thread.

#81 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

Sorry to go back a year, but do you still have a source for the Whitley Neill, or were you finishing a bottle -- I'm still hoping they start up U.S. distribution again.

There are a few stray bottles around these parts -- Joyal's, at least, RI locals -- but, no, no source besides the shelves.

And the thought of a Weeski with Redbreast and Cocchi is, like Thampik said, doing things in my head that are hard to describe, and it's not even noon here yet . . . .

Yes. Exactly. My apologies.

Also, thampik, I would encourage you to pick up some Cointreau and some absinthe or pastis and try the Corpse Reviver again. Grand Marnier might work (I've never tried it), but absinthe is what really brings the drink together, as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I think the Corpse Reviver No. 2 is one of the greats.

Agree with Matt here -- without absinthe or pastis the CR is like an Old Fashioned (that is to say, a Cock-Tail) without bitters: makes you wonder what all the fuss is about.

Just had one with a meaty gin:

2 oz Death's Door
1 oz Cocchi
3/4 oz Suze

It's fantastic, much better than with Lillet, methinks.

And -- sorry again -- I shlepped the Suze from Tokyo two years ago.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#82 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

And -- sorry again -- I shlepped the Suze from Tokyo two years ago.

You'll have to pick up another bottle in Montreal this summer, then. :wink:
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#83 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 995 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

At Fred Yarm's suggestion, I've been subbing the new Salers liqueur for Suze. I enjoyed the White Negroni, but it could be more more bitter and a bit less sweet to really warrant the Negroni name, even with Cocchi. I'll swap the ratios next time.
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#84 thampik

thampik
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

bmdaniel and FrogPrincesse, thanks for the correction (I did get the recipe from Serious Eats).

mkayahara - I'll definitely try the Corpse Reviver #2 again as I had such high hopes for it.

I have since bought some Cointreau, but it would appear that I need to buy Suze and Absinthe. Could you recommend what absinthe to buy (seems pretty expensive) : if it is from this list (http://www.thewhisky....com/C-358.aspx), that would be grand!

I would really appreciate some ratios for both drinks as well - I can see that looking up the web may be a little misleading.

#85 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 995 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

Kindred Cocktails may not be perfect, but the recipes are curated. We try to reference original sources when available, and/or note modernizations by noteworthy people.

Corpse Reviver #2
by Harry Craddock, The Savoy Cocktail
3/4 oz Gin
3/4 oz Triple sec, Cointreau
3/4 oz Aromatized Wine, Lillet Blanc
3/4 oz Lemon juice
1 rinse Absinthe

Shake, strain, straight up, cocktail glass rinsed with absinthe

My notes: Creole Shrubb + Bonal Gentiane Quina esp. good

White Negroni
by Pegu Club
1 1/2 oz Gin
1 oz Aromatized Wine, Lillet Blanc
3/4 oz Suze

Stir and strain.
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#86 thampik

thampik
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:27 AM

Thanks, EvergreenDan for the info - I have also bookmarked the site.

#87 campus five

campus five
  • participating member
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

I have since bought some Cointreau, but it would appear that I need to buy Suze and Absinthe. Could you recommend what absinthe to buy (seems pretty expensive) : if it is from this list (http://www.thewhisky....com/C-358.aspx), that would be grand!

Looking at the list of absinthes on Whiskey Exchange, any of the Jade products would be great.
Plus, you'll probably be fine with a 20cl (aka 200ml) bottle for general cocktail use.
Unless you plan on drinking absinthe with the traditional sugar cube/ice water drip method, you probably won't go through that much of it at a time.
I generally keep some in a small 3oz spray bottle/mister, and a bit more in an empty bitters bottle for dashing.
I've made enumerable Sazeracs, Corpse Revivers #2s, and other absinthe rinsed/dashed cocktails, and I've still got plenty left.

Edited by campus five, 26 June 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#88 thampik

thampik
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

thanks, campus five. and also for the spray tip - I was about to ask how one goes about "rinsing" the glass!

#89 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

thanks, campus five. and also for the spray tip - I was about to ask how one goes about "rinsing" the glass!

The low tech approach consists of adding a small amount of absinthe/pastis to the glass, rolling it around to coat the inside of the glass, and discarding the remainder.

#90 thampik

thampik
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

Suze and Absinthe are on order - will report back with results.