Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Second State Syndrome?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 02:56 PM

Do you think New Jersey suffers from a "second state syndrome", I.E., overshadowed by New York?

Do you think the restaurants reflect any of this or are they coming into their own?
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#2 David Corcoran

David Corcoran
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 01:52 PM

New Jersey is certainly overshadowed by New York, but then everything is overshadowed by New York. On the other hand, I've never found that the differences in restaurants are all that glaring. Many New Jersey chefs have cooked on both sides of the river, and some choose to relocate not because they're any less good but for the same reasons other people relocate: life in the suburbs is much less complicated than in the city. If I did a blind tasting between, say, Jean-Georges and Nicholas, or Alain Ducasse and the Ryland Inn, I bet you I couldn't tell you which was which.

#3 CooksQuest

CooksQuest
  • participating member
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 02:02 PM

IMHO, Hoboken doesn't suffer from that syndrome. Maybe it's the proximity, or perhaps it's my own bias -- I live there.