Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Lime curd

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 annachan

annachan
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:55 PM

I'm thinking of making coconut cupcake with lime curd filling. Would making lime curd be the same as making lemon curd? Does anyone have an actual recipe for lime curd? Also, how long does it last?

#2 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:45 PM

Google turned up quite a few results. How about:
Lime, Orange or Lemon Curd
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#3 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:16 PM

I think I'd try to make Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream with limes. Made with lemons I've kept it for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. I think the recipe says about 5 days otherwise freeze it.
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#4 chezcherie

chezcherie
  • participating member
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:35 PM

i've made lime curd and blood orange curd, and with both, the key for me was to use some lemon juice along with the other citrus juice. the tang of the lemon is needed for the best flavor.
"Laughter is brightest where food is best."
www.chezcherie.com
Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

#5 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:45 PM

I sub lime juice for lemon in my curd recipe. Works beautifully.

Orange is another story. . .

#6 annachan

annachan
  • participating member
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for all the great tips. Will give it a try in the next week.

#7 ejw50

ejw50
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:51 PM

I think I'd try to make Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream with limes. Made with lemons I've kept it for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. I think the recipe says about 5 days otherwise freeze it.

View Post

Pierre has a lime cream recipe in his other book (The Patisserie of Pierre Herme). If I remember correctly, it's the lemon cream recipe with lime substitution (equal weights). If you're doing it from "Desserts by Pierre Herme" you have to account for the fact that limes are smaller than lemons.

#8 beacheschef

beacheschef
  • participating member
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

I use the recipe in the "Cake Bible" for Lime Curd, with a few modifications.

I rub the zest into the sugar to release lime oils, then strain the zest out at the end of cooking. It's wonderful as a filling in coconut cake - I've used it many times.

Note that the curd will be a yellow color, not green, since the juice combined with the yolks have more of a yellow color.
Beaches Pastry
May your celebrations be sweet!
Beaches Pastry Blog

#9 GTO

GTO
  • participating member
  • 593 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

I've done the same with pink grapefruit before also and that was extremely good.
Please take a quick look at my stuff.
Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

#10 Art

Art
  • participating member
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

I've done the same with pink grapefruit before also and that was extremely good.

View Post

I went through a curd phase about ten years ago. I made:

Lemon Curd
Orange Curd
Grapefruit Curd
Tangarine Curd
Pomello Curd
Tangello Curd

and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Haven't made curd much since -- don't know why. Perhaps I ought to revisit it.

I used basically the same recipe for all. I think it may have been from the Cake Bible through it may just as easily been from Fine Cooking.

-Art

Edited by Art, 15 May 2007 - 10:20 PM.

Amano Artisan Chocolate
http://www.amanochocolate.com/

#11 sugarseattle

sugarseattle
  • participating member
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:24 PM

Ha, I was just at the supermarket and saw Guava Curd & Passionfruit Curd. They were like 7 bucks for a tiny jar.

But yes, ok to sub out limes for lemons. Pam R is right about the oranges though. Grapefruit sounds fabulous!

I add a tiny tiny bit of yellow and a teensy weensy bit of green just to give that visual clue that it's lime and not lemon.
Stephanie Crocker
Sugar Bakery + Cafe

#12 Art

Art
  • participating member
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:11 AM

Ha, I was just at the supermarket and saw Guava Curd & Passionfruit Curd. They were like 7 bucks for a tiny jar.

But yes, ok to sub out limes for lemons. Pam R is right about the oranges though. Grapefruit sounds fabulous!

I add a tiny tiny bit of yellow and a teensy weensy bit of green just to give that visual clue that it's lime and not lemon.

View Post

As I recall, grapefruit was really good. I don't remember exactly which but some turned out to be really spectacular. The others were close enough that with a little work they could be made to be really good as well. (Though they were all wonderful in their own way.)

Hadn't thought of passionfruit .....

-Art
Amano Artisan Chocolate
http://www.amanochocolate.com/

#13 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,408 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:38 PM

View Post

As I recall, grapefruit was really good. I don't remember exactly which but some turned out to be really spectacular. The others were close enough that with a little work they could be made to be really good as well. (Though they were all wonderful in their own way.)

Hadn't thought of passionfruit .....

-Art

View Post

I have made a combination curd, strawberry/grapefruit - using the "sweetie" white grapefruit.

One the recipes I have used for years, from a British food cookbook is for gooseberry curd, which has a very interesting flavor.
I also make a curd with red currants - the tart flavor is perfect for a filling in little English sponge teacakes or 1/2-size cupcakes (1/2 depth - no more than an inch).

Edited by andiesenji, 17 May 2007 - 04:39 PM.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening