Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The best they can do, or the typical ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 macrosan

macrosan
  • legacy participant
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 02:11 AM

Do you want to experience and describe the very best that a restaurant is capable of achieving, or do you believe your reviews should reflect the "typical" dining experience that any of your readers might have if they walked in "off the street" ?

#2 David Corcoran

David Corcoran
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 12:57 PM

Naturally, I'd like to experience the very best with each and every dish. But as reviewers, we stand in for the general public, so we do our best to avoid special treatment. That's why we make our reservations anonymously and make every reasonable effort not to be recognized as reviewers. (Not always easy: the other night, I was just sitting down when an old acquaintance spotted me from across the room. "David Corcoran!" he exclaimed. "Are you here for business or pleasure?")