Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Momofuku Ko (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
582 replies to this topic

#1 BryanZ

BryanZ
  • participating member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:18 PM

Straight from Chef Chang himself, via Eater, Momofuku Noodle Bar will become Momofuku Ko.

Noodle Bar as it exists right now is bursting at the seams. Not just with people waiting for a stool (sorry about the waits, but there’s good news ahead for you) but with water, electricity, everything. We need to do 200 fewer covers a day for that place to be operating comfortably. To do that, we need to take out a bunch of seats and control the number of people who eat there, which means taking reservations (or maybe taking reservations: part of the frustration with people blabbing about restaurants that don’t exist yet is that the restaurants don’t exist yet, so hard and fast policies are not in place.)

We have absolutely no aspiration to make it into a “fine dining” restaurant, but we’re shortchanging our baby, our spiritual home, by running it too hard right now. No mas.

At Momofuku Ko, we’ll showcase everybody’s cooking, to make it work as a collaborative kitchen.

Interesting if I say so myself. Noodle Bar fans need not worry, as it will be relocated in a bigger space one block uptown. David Chang is pretty sweet for putting up a fake "sports bar" menu in the space that will hold the new Noodle Bar.

Of course, Chef Chang doesn't want people talking about this place. I'll leave that up to you guys to decide.

#2 Swicks

Swicks
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:58 PM

How has this thread gotten no responses???

Anyway, I think this is a very interesting development and given the hype surrounding Chang and crew it is amazing that this news was not leaked earlier, especially given that they plan on opening this summer.
"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

#3 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:21 AM

the general outlines of this have been known through the grapevine for some time.

I don't know that there's much to post about right now. I'm sure most of us will be enthused to check it out and see what they have up their sleeve. but until they open, what's there to say?

#4 BryanZ

BryanZ
  • participating member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:12 AM

Perhaps useless speculation as to the type of food that's going to be served.

#5 rich

rich
  • participating member
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:14 AM

pork & beans
grits
cupcakes
Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:15 AM

Mozzerlla Sticks

#7 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:27 AM

I have it on the best authority that Momofuku Ko is intended to be a type of performance art. both the room and the food will be a direct facsimile of Gordon Ramsay at the London. and it will be twice the price. Chang secured a McArthur grant for this purpose.

#8 rich

rich
  • participating member
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

and it will be twice the price. 

View Post

What does 2xinfinity equal?
Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

I thought that's what Gordon Ramsey is already doing.

#10 spaetzle_maker

spaetzle_maker
  • participating member
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:36 AM

and it will be twice the price. 

View Post

What does 2xinfinity equal?

View Post

infinity.

#11 Swicks

Swicks
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:49 AM

:laugh:
"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

#12 kathryn

kathryn
  • participating member
  • 716 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:11 AM

http://nymag.com/dai...e_prevails.html
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

#13 Swicks

Swicks
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:37 AM

Only 14 seats? wow...good luck eating there anytime soon. Sounds vaguely familiar to what Schwa in Chicago was like.

#14 BryanZ

BryanZ
  • participating member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

Schwa was the bane of my existence this past summer. Had my reso canceled on me twice, had to reschedule once myself, then it closed. I hope I can get to the new version.

#15 Swicks

Swicks
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

Schwa was the bane of my existence this past summer.  Had my reso canceled on me twice, had to reschedule once myself, then it closed.  I hope I can get to the new version.

View Post

Lets hope for your sake this doesn't become the bane of your existence....

#16 Freelancer015

Freelancer015
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

anyone have updates on Ko? the last I read was the Feb 12 NY Magazine article saying they were hoping to open in 2 weeks...

#17 AEK

AEK
  • participating member
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

Eater.com claims that public opening is 3/12 with F and F next week and that the Reso system will be entirely automated as reported earlier.

Edited by AEK, 02 March 2008 - 02:42 PM.

#18 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

F&F began yesterday. early word is quite positive. several of the dishes have been served in some form at ssam bar while they were working on them.

#19 donbert

donbert
  • participating member
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

I had the honor of previewing the tasting menu with the wine pairing last night with Johnder and a couple friends. Here's what we had (to the best of my memory):

Posted Image
House made Chicharrón with Togarashi amuse

Posted Image
Fluke Sashimi with Spicy Buttermilk, Toasted Poppy Seeds, and Chives.

Posted Image
Kimchi Consomme with Malpec Oyster, Pork Belly and Braised Cabbage

Posted Image
Sous-vide Onions, Coddled Egg, Osetra Caviar, Potato Chips, and Herbs

Posted Image
Scallops, Mussels, Pickled Fennel and Nori

Posted Image
Shaved Foie over Lychees, Lychee Gelee, and Pineapple Brittle

Posted Image
Kalbi Jjim - Fried Shortrib, Grilled Scallion, Carrots, and Mustard over Daikon

Posted Image
Miso Soup and Lard Grilled Rice Cake over Pickled Turnips and Cabbage

Posted Image
Pineapple Sorbet over Candied Pineapples.

Posted Image
Fried Apple Pie, Miso Caramel and Sour Cream Ice Cream.

#20 BryanZ

BryanZ
  • participating member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

I guess this classifies as kind of a big deal. Not a chance of mere mortals sauntering up to the bar to snag a seat over the next couple days I presume? I'm hopping on a last minute flight home in a couple hours and would seriously camp out.

#21 oakapple

oakapple
  • participating member
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

I had the honor of previewing the tasting menu with the wine pairing last night with Johnder and a couple friends.

View Post

It certainly looks ambitious, in terms of plating and presentation. Unfortunately, you can't taste a photo.

Does the place really only seat 10 people?

#22 johnder

johnder
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

There are 12 seats total. Going to be a hot ticket, thats for sure.

From what I heard they started F&F last week and it will continue for a few more days.

edit: 14 seats actually, not 12.
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#23 spaetzle_maker

spaetzle_maker
  • participating member
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:31 PM

I was there last night too! I thought there were 14 seats.

#24 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:41 PM

hrm, maybe it was 14. After making a little diagram to help me figure out where I was sitting and the seats around me I think there were 11 along the wall and 3 across the front now.
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#25 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

Some more pictures from last night

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--

#26 spaetzle_maker

spaetzle_maker
  • participating member
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

hrm, maybe it was 14.  After making a little diagram to help me figure out where I was sitting and the seats around me I think there were 11 along the wall and 3 across the front now.

View Post

I've been trying to figure it out by counting the faces I recognized and then counting the people between those faces that I didn't recognize :laugh:

There were two across the front - I was sitting there with one other person. I'm remembering eleven people sitting along the wall, but I believe there was one empty stool on the end closest to the door.

#27 kathryn

kathryn
  • participating member
  • 716 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:31 AM

http://flickr.com/ph...ryn/2309788460/
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

#28 BryanZ

BryanZ
  • participating member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:28 AM

Though I have the utmost respect for Chef Chang and co., what makes this place that fundamentally different than, say, Degustation?

I haven't tried any of the food, but the aesthetic seems similar, if only slanted slightly toward Asian cuisine rather than Spanish. In terms of price point, it seems to fit in nicely between Degustatation and l'Atelier.

#29 oakapple

oakapple
  • participating member
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

Though I have the utmost respect for Chef Chang and co., what makes this place that fundamentally different than, say, Degustation?

I haven't tried any of the food, but the aesthetic seems similar, if only slanted slightly toward Asian cuisine rather than Spanish.  In terms of price point, it seems to fit in nicely between Degustatation and l'Atelier.

View Post

In terms of ambiance, I had the same reaction: it's very similar to Degustation, though with not as many seats. One big difference, as I understand it, is that Ko will serve multi-course tasting menus only, whereas Degustation lets the diner construct the meal from a succession of small plates à la carte.

#30 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:07 AM

As far as I can tell at least three people posting here have dined at Momofuku Ko. So, is the food any good?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)