Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

"The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz on ice cream

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

#451 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

I made his pineapple sorbet yesterday. Just pineapple chunks, water, and sugar (not simple syrup!) in the Blendtec. Great stuff. Very slightly grainy, but that's expected, and it wasn't objectionable at at all. I might play around with it a bit, if and when the weather gets warmer here in the Frozen North (of the U.S.). Pineapple-lime? Add a bit of tequila or white rum?

Any other ideas?

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#452 nakji

nakji
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:30 AM

Hopefully your weather has gotten warmer since March! I was watching Masterchef Australia today, and one of the chefs added a chopped, seeded habanero to her pineapple sorbet, and served it with melon macerated in a ginger-mint syrup. 

#453 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

I'd try that recipe with the habanero except that my DH doesn't really like sorbet or sherbet or anything which isn't rich-tasting ice cream.  Maybe next time we have a group over at once.

My favorite DL ice cream recipes are the Aztec "Hot" Chocolate Ice Cream and the Orange-Szechwan Pepper Ice Cream, both of which are currently in the freezer.   However, I make them with a cornstarch base which nicely subs for whipping cream and eggs.  At least it's enough for us.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#454 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

I've been making "his" Philadelphia-style vanilla ice cream, steeping star anise and cardamom pods along with the vanilla bean. Extrememly good.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times