Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Chocolate Chip Cookies -- Bake-Off III

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#91 sugar plum

sugar plum
  • participating member
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

I liked Tejon's but they were more of an oatmeal cookie to me.  I'm tempted to tinker with the recipe though.  For the Jacques Torres, I used Trader Joe's Pound Plus Dark chocolate and I think that made a big difference - it was a very adult cookie.  I liked the Unbelievably Good, but they were pretty close to the CI Thick and Chewy, which is my go-to recipe, and still will be after all the experimentation.

Editing to add: I used KA AP flour for the Jacques Torres.  I can't compare with what they would have been with the prescribed combination of flours, but they turned out fine with regular old AP.  I have no idea where I'd get pastry flour in this town...

View Post

Annarborfoodie,

All your cookies look delish! Good luck with the diet...I'm in awe of anyone who can accomplish such a feat.

I'm curious to try the Jacques Torres recipe with AP flour because I made them with the bread and pastry flours. In the future, I doubt very much that I'll be making this recipe if I have to keep going out to get the aforementioned flours. Other than AP and whole wheat flour, I don't tend to keep any other types in the house. Nonetheless, this recipe was by far the winner in my household/workplace too.

#92 monavano

monavano
  • participating member
  • 839 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:56 AM

I made a great recipe yesterday. It uses oats (processed into a flour) and nuts (walnuts and pecans). Here's the recipe and some pics!

Posted Image

#93 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:31 PM

Darcie's Chocolate Chip Cookies

8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, 67-70 degrees F
9.5 ounces (1 1/3 cup) packed light brown sugar
4.7 ounces (2/3 cup) granulated sugar
2 medium eggs (If using large eggs, reserve 1 white)
1 tablespoon +/- Kahlua
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
10.5 ounces (1 1/2 cups) whole rolled oats, ground to coarse flour in food processor or blender
4.5 ounces (1 cup) unbleached all-purpose flour (I like Pillsbury best)
6 ounces (1 cup) chocolate chips (I usually use 7 ounces but 6 is conveniently sized)
1/2 cup Mini M&Ms (optional but I like 'em)

I don't know if I should include this recipe in Recipe Gullet - I'd like feedback first.

View Post

I tried this recipe yesterday and it didn't work out for me. The flavour and texture are great but they are flat as pancakes with the chocolate chips sticking out. I weighed everything so it was accurate. As I was making them I wondered if there was too much backing powder and baking soda in them. Would this make the difference? I couldn't taste them in the finished product.
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#94 junehl

junehl
  • participating member
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:03 AM

I had taken a baking course once, and the instructor said that if you over cream your sugar and butter it will make your cookies spread a lot.

Maybe you can try to cream your butter and sugar less to make them thicker?

#95 Marlene

Marlene
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:17 AM

I made chocolate chip cookies ala Blue Smoke for a gathering here a the cottage a while back, and they were a huge hit.
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#96 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:19 PM

I had taken a baking course once, and the instructor said that if you over cream your sugar and butter it will make your cookies spread a lot.

Maybe you can try to cream your butter and sugar less to make them thicker?

View Post

That is a possibility. I'll pay more attention to that next time.
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#97 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:48 PM

I made chocolate chip cookies ala Blue Smoke for a gathering here a the cottage a while back, and they were a huge hit.

View Post

Marlene, the recipe doesn't mention what kind of flour to use. Did you use AP?

As for the problem mentioned in another post about cookies spreading too thin, you can also try refrigerating the dough before baking.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#98 monavano

monavano
  • participating member
  • 839 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:36 PM

Darcie's Chocolate Chip Cookies

8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, 67-70 degrees F
9.5 ounces (1 1/3 cup) packed light brown sugar
4.7 ounces (2/3 cup) granulated sugar
2 medium eggs (If using large eggs, reserve 1 white)
1 tablespoon +/- Kahlua
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
10.5 ounces (1 1/2 cups) whole rolled oats, ground to coarse flour in food processor or blender
4.5 ounces (1 cup) unbleached all-purpose flour (I like Pillsbury best)
6 ounces (1 cup) chocolate chips (I usually use 7 ounces but 6 is conveniently sized)
1/2 cup Mini M&Ms (optional but I like 'em)

I don't know if I should include this recipe in Recipe Gullet - I'd like feedback first.

View Post

I tried this recipe yesterday and it didn't work out for me. The flavour and texture are great but they are flat as pancakes with the chocolate chips sticking out. I weighed everything so it was accurate. As I was making them I wondered if there was too much backing powder and baking soda in them. Would this make the difference? I couldn't taste them in the finished product.

View Post

I posted my cookies upthread, and the link to the recipe. I baked the cookies in 2 sheet pan batchs. For my first batch, I lined one pan with a silpat, and the other with parchment paper (only have one silpat). I noted that the silpat cookies were spread thin and did not have the rise and texture of the cookies baked on parchment paper. I switched to parchment for both pans after that.
My sense is that in my case, the silpat cookies encounters a far lower coefficient of friciton, leading the them spreading more that the cookies on paper. The parchment was able to be reused until I was done baking.
Hope this helps.

#99 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

View Post

Marlene, the recipe doesn't mention what kind of flour to use. Did you use AP?

View Post

I did. Unbleached AP.
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#100 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:15 PM

I just made these last night and they're really good. They were a little too sweet for me right out of the oven, (I cut the salt in half, so that probably affected it), but after storing overnight, the sweetness mellowed. Out of the oven, they had crispy edges and chewy centers. After being stored in an airtight container overnight, they became chewy all the way through.
(I added about 2-4 extra Tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips).

ADDICTIVE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
http://bakingbites.c...e-chip-cookies/

Edited by merstar, 03 October 2007 - 10:06 PM.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#101 sanantone

sanantone
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

Reading this thread made me incredibly hungry for chocolate chip cookies. After much debate I tried the Unbelievably Good Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. I was starting late so I didn't have time for two different recipes. I have been making different versions of the Tollhouse since I was 10 years old and though my "all brown sugar, extra vanilla" version was great. This new recipe beat mine hands down.

In the oven:
Posted Image

On the rack:
Posted Image

The recipe is quite a bit different than the way I had been making mine, cold butter creamed with the sugar from the beginning, room temp eggs and what I think is a higher sugar to flour ratio. All of which made a great freaking cookie! Next is The Tejon. I like oatmeal in cookies...

#102 Intellidepth

Intellidepth
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:23 PM

View Post

My attempt at this recipe created very flat pancake thickness softish, kind of chewy cookies, is this what they are supposed to be?

I refrigerated the dough for the second bake from the same dough, cooked them for a bit longer hoping to get a crisp/chewy combo, and it baked out the same way.

They puff up beautifully in the oven, spread to nearly triple width, and as soon as I took them out they all fell flat, flat, flat. I think if I cooked them for longer they'd turn into crisp cookies that better hold their shape but would be more like a tuile in texture in the end. I still have enough dough refrigerating right now for another 10 cookies... any ideas? I used bleached AP. I did cream the butter/sugar well, so that could be another thing to modify - keep it more like a flaky pastry concept I guess.

I think what I'm looking for is a cookie that holds its shape more and is +1cm thick with chunks sticking out of it, with less fat. A cross between chewy/cakey in the middle? I found the quality 63% dark chocolate I used had too soft a texture during and after baking to keep chunks, although that could have been half due to the dough spreading so much? Maybe I need to use cheaper (but not really cheap) chocolate?

Hmmm. Off to read recipes closely this time, I guess looking for a lower fat to flour content, and lower egg content for less fragility... and low/medium baking soda content for a more dense result. Here goes... :unsure:

#103 Intellidepth

Intellidepth
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:15 AM

OK, I have been officially in Bake-Off mode this afternoon (in between jewellery creation). The left-overs of my last experiment went to two willing households.

I've made a batch of Tejon's 28-Year-Old Chocolate Chip Cookies.

HOORAY a cookie that 1) holds its shape to the right thickness 2) has a lower fat content than many 3) is easy to change the add-ins without substantially changing the texture 4) my husband has raided tonight 5) has massive amounts of chocolate in it!!! (I'm a closet chocaholic.)

The detail for foodies:

a) I used Nestle Chocolate Chips Dark and Lucky Californian Walnuts in half the batch, and Nestle White Chocolate Chips in the other half. The walnuts toasted fabulously, and the chips held their shape (as they are designed to do) - I'd be happy to try couverture chocolate again in this recipe for that melty finish. The white chocolate gave an ultra-sweet flavour, which is great if you have a sugar craving!

b) I accidentally made the cookies twice the size and consequently ended up experimenting until I flattened them and cooked them for 16 minutes to come up with the same ideal as Tejon. I agree that walnut sized mounds are a good size for this recipe... especially if you use white chocolate.

This is the first time I've tried an oatmeal chocolate chunk/chip cookie (rare combination in Australia), and while I like the overall flavour the texture was a bit grainy as I had to process the oats myself.

All in all, a very satisfactory end to my day (and my husband's).

#104 tejon

tejon
  • participating member
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:13 AM

OK, I have been officially in Bake-Off mode this afternoon (in between jewellery creation). The left-overs of my last experiment went to two willing households.

I've made a batch of Tejon's 28-Year-Old Chocolate Chip Cookies.

HOORAY a cookie that 1) holds its shape to the right thickness 2) has a lower fat content than many 3) is easy to change the add-ins without substantially changing the texture 4) my husband has raided tonight 5) has massive amounts of chocolate in it!!! (I'm a closet chocaholic.)

View Post

I'm so glad you liked them! :smile: You'll have to give them a try with regular quick oats and see if there's a texture change - I'm guessing they'll be a slight bit lighter but still retain the chewiness the oats provide.
Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

#105 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 02:35 PM

Just tried these the other day - very good! (I used about 1 generous cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and omitted the nuts).
MAXIMUM CHOCOLATE COOKIES
http://www.starchefs...recipe_04.shtml

Edited by merstar, 16 December 2007 - 02:36 PM.

#106 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:06 AM

Just tried these the other day - very good! (I used about 1 generous cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and omitted the nuts).
MAXIMUM CHOCOLATE COOKIES
http://www.starchefs...recipe_04.shtml

View Post

Update: I did these again with the full amount of chocolate chips (1 2/3 cups), and they were even better.

#107 Alicia8870

Alicia8870
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:06 AM

I love to make chocolate chip cookies, and after going through the threads, I did'nt see one close to the one I use, so I thought I would throw it in the mix!

I use a small scoop to portion the dough, and bake them on a silpat.

They are amazin!

My favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie!
Makes about 48
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup toffee bits
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Fold in milk chocolate and semisweet chips, toffee bits and pecans. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on wire racks.

#108 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:02 PM

These are fantastic. The dough was crumbly, but that could be because I added an extra 1/4 cup peanut butter (I used lightly salted natural peanut butter). I dropped the first batch by rounded tsp and the second batch by very rounded Tbsp - I preferred the rounded Tbsp - they were thicker and moister.
PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
http://www.recipezaar.com/48532

#109 Pallee

Pallee
  • participating member
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:53 PM

So when I first read this thread I wondered what the big deal could be - I mean I've never met a chocolate chip cookie I didn't like (unless it was store bought).

Then I got Elizabeth Falkner's "Demolition Desserts" and made her Chocolate Chip Cookies Version XS and decided there was a cookie to make a big fuss about! This one blew me away. The XS stands for extreme sugar, meaning muscovado and demerara, which add a great crunch. Also calls for oats you toast in butter. I subbed white whole wheat flour for half the AP. She gives the cooking times based on the texture you're looking for in the cookie.

This takes my vote for the best chocolate chip cookie ever!

#110 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

I've been up nights in the laboratory working on this one, and I think I nailed it. This is now the best recipe that I've ever tasted.

It's on recipe gullet, here: http://recipes.egull...ipes/r2108.html

These are the first cookies I've had that are thick, chewy, not greasy, and that have such good flavor in the cookie itself that i've cut the amount of chocolate chips almost in half, so the choocolate doesn't get in the way.

They're made with browned butter, light muscovado sugar, and a small percentage of whole wheat oat flour.

#111 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hey Paul, your cookies sound great. I'm thinking of trying them, but wonder if the texture would be compromised if I made them a little smaller. It looks like they're about 1/4 cup each (correct me if I'm wrong), and I'm thinking of making them about half that size. What do you think?

#112 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

Hey Paul, your cookies sound great. I'm thinking of trying them, but wonder if the texture would be compromised if I made them a little smaller. It looks like they're about 1/4 cup each (correct me if I'm wrong), and I'm thinking of making them about half that size. What do you think?

View Post

I haven't tried making them small, so I can only guess. The baking time would no doubt be less. Would you be interested in making on sheet of big ones and then experimenting with size with the rest? I'd be curious to hear about your results.

#113 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

View Post

I haven't tried making them small, so I can only guess. The baking time would no doubt be less. Would you be interested in making on sheet of big ones and then experimenting with size with the rest? I'd be curious to hear about your results.

View Post

Actually, that's exactly what I was planning to do. I'll let you know how they turn out. Thanks.

#114 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

I've been up nights in the laboratory working on this one, and I think I nailed it. This is now the best recipe that I've ever tasted.

It's on recipe gullet, here: http://recipes.egull...ipes/r2108.html

These are the first cookies I've had that are thick, chewy, not greasy, and that have such good flavor in the cookie itself that i've cut the amount of chocolate chips almost in half, so the choocolate doesn't get in the way.

They're made with browned butter, light muscovado sugar, and a small percentage of whole wheat oat flour.

View Post

Well, what can I say? These are dangerous cookies. I made them last night, and couldn't stop eating them - I ate so many I almost got sick. Totally addictive.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any muscovado sugar, so I had to use regular light brown sugar. I don't know if that affected the taste or not, but I don't care - the cookies tasted great. They had a caramelly/butterscotchy taste, soft and chewy in the centers, crispy on the edges. The 1 cup chocolate chips was the perfect amount for these cookies (I used Ghirardelli's semi-sweet chips).

I tried the first batch in the 1/4 cup size, as written, and the rest in heaping Tbsp. I preferred the heaping Tbsp - better size for eating, plus they fit into my glass canister - The 1/4 cup size didn't fit through the opening, and I had to bend them in half. I baked the 1/4 cup ones about 12-13 minutes, and the heaping Tbsp about 10-11 minutes.

Thanks for the great recipe, Paul!

#115 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:41 AM

Great! glad to hear they worked so well for you.

If anyone else wants to try (minus the getting sick part) I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions.

#116 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

I've got a batch in the cooler right now waiting to bake. I subbed dark muscovado for light since its all I had, but all else was as per instructions. I'm baking to sell, so we'll see what the customers think.

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#117 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:41 AM

I've got a batch in the cooler right now waiting to bake.  I subbed dark muscovado for light since its all I had, but all else was as per instructions.  I'm baking to sell, so we'll see what the customers think.

View Post

Cool. I made my first couple of trials with dark muscovado. I felt that the molasses flavor dominated the butter flavor more than I wanted, but they were still tasty. Can't wait to here what the customers have to say.

Edited by paulraphael, 21 March 2008 - 09:47 AM.

#118 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:33 PM

I'm also baking to sell. I baked a batch of CC cookies from the book " The best of better baking.com". They spread way too much to sell( maybe I made them too big). I was aiming for a big cookie( ala starbucks)

Which recipe do you think would give me a big yet sturdy cookie that would keep well for 2 days?

#119 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

Here's my report. They went straight from my oven to the serving area - no time for that day of aging! Let's just say that of all of the desserts, it was the first and only to sell out. I came back to my store later in the day and ran into a customer that I knew his wife took one home to him. He said that his first bite tasted like any other cookie, but then after his second bite he started to get the complexity of the cookie. That was my impression as well. We're not conditioned to really taste CCCs, rather we scarf, and so complexity is missed in many instances. Paul - thanks for a good recipe.

#120 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:43 AM

I forgot to mention that I did the high altitude adjustments since I live at 6000 feet. I did 75% of Paul's recommendations and it worked very well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate