Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chocolate Chip Cookies -- Bake-Off III

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#31 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

Do you guys prefer a chocolate batter (like the Korova cookie!) or a non-chocolate batter? I personally prefer the former.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#32 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 913 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

Definitely a chocolate batter.
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#33 iguana

iguana
  • participating member
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:48 PM

I made the Chewy and it was quite tasty. I did find it a tad greasy. Do any of you Plugra-users adjust the amount of butter to compensate for the higher butterfat content?

#34 Cookie Dibs

Cookie Dibs
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

I made the Chewy and it was quite tasty.  I did find it a tad greasy.  Do any of you Plugra-users adjust the amount of butter to compensate for the higher butterfat content?

View Post

I agree that the Chewy is a bit greasy. I'm wondering if the problem will be solved by softening the butter til very soft, but not melted...but the flavor is excellent and the texture was perfect.

Definitely will experiment!

#35 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

I made the Chewy and it was quite tasty.  I did find it a tad greasy.  Do any of you Plugra-users adjust the amount of butter to compensate for the higher butterfat content?

View Post

I agree that the Chewy is a bit greasy. I'm wondering if the problem will be solved by softening the butter til very soft, but not melted...but the flavor is excellent and the texture was perfect.

Definitely will experiment!

View Post

don't think it will work. the whole idea of melting the butter is to release the water in the butter (break the emulsion). the water then gets soaked up and retained by the flour (bread flour is used because it can bind to more more water than lower protein flour).

i'm also curious about the effect of higher fat butter. i'm guessing you'd want to compensate ... less butter and more of another liquid (milk, etc.). otherwis you might get more greasy and less chewy. but the better butter might improve the flavor ... butter is the dominant flavor with these cookies.

#36 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:29 PM

Tried the Alton Brown recipe today. Very, very good. Next, I'll try the Cooks Illustrated recipe to compare.

Martha Stewart did a chocolate chip recipe contest and a recipe by Jacqes Torres won. I made them, but very cakey and I did not like them at all...

Great site....This is my first post!

View Post

welcome! please post your results. i've been curious about this, but too lazy to make the c.i. cookies ...

#37 Panda

Panda
  • participating member
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

Hello, never thought I'd have anything to contribute but I was surprised to find the recipe that I've been using for years in RecipeGullet. It's the Chocolate Chip Cookies With Pudding recipe.

When I first tried this recipe out I found them to be a bit greasy so I reduced the amount of butter to 3/4 cup. I made them this past Saturday and they turned out well (just by my standards :raz:). The pictures, if you're interested, are here.

#38 gfron1

gfron1
  • legacy participant
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

Panda - those are great pics! We want more... Consider hosting them at ImageGullet - you can do a batch upload.

#39 baroness

baroness
  • participating member
  • 880 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:56 PM

Do you guys prefer a chocolate batter (like the Korova cookie!) or a non-chocolate batter? I personally prefer the former.

View Post

Korovas are great!

Just tried the Alton Brown Chewy recipe -- they look picture perfect, but I find them light in the flavor department :huh: . . .maybe I just prefer MORE chocolate -- such as Korovas.

#40 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:27 PM

I made the CCC from Dorie Greenspan's "Baking: From My Home to Yours". They're very good, and the people at work who have been lucky enough to share have really enjoyed them. I was too lazy to toast some nuts (I always toast nuts if they're called for in baking), so I added a handful of dried cranberries instead.

I think, though, that I prefer I CCC that has oatmeal, too. My favourite has been =Mark's Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies (posted in RecipeGullet), to which I add chocolate chips.

#41 duckduck

duckduck
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:49 PM

I don't think I could search much beyond Tejon's recipe. Her cookies rock sooooo hard. Life just doesn't get any better than sitting at a potluck near a basket of Tejon's cookies. Didn't care one bit about looking like a little piggy scarfing them down, one after another. Resistance is futile. :laugh:
Pamela Wilkinson
www.portlandfood.org
Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

#42 Chihiran

Chihiran
  • participating member
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

I like cocoa cookies with white chocolate.
Tejon's oat recipe sounds really good though. I really want to try it! :smile:

#43 LittleIsland

LittleIsland
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:33 AM

and before i forget, here's an interesting link to a search for cc cookie perfection....and it  links back to.... well, egullet of course.  :cool:
it's a mobious strip, or a mystery inside an enigma, this cookie thing.  as well as a noble quest.

http://wordstoeatby....ip-cookies.html :smile:

View Post

Today I made a batch of these - they are indeed very good, though I am not a huge fan of chocolate chip cookies. But I'll have to see if the crisp edges and chewy insides last tomorrow. Or if the edges just dry out... or the cookie just becomes soft throughout.

I also baked a batch of Alton Brown's The Chewy for comparison. Based on everyone's votes, I guess I expected more (and yes, I agree with a couple of others that they're a tad greasy). They were a little soft, perhaps I didn't bake them long enough. I froze some of the dough and will try baking them a little longer tomorrow. Yes, despite all that, the dozen I baked are down to two... my husband and sons are not too fussy about their choc chip cookies!

I did reduce the sugar in both recipes by 15% (both brown and white), so I don't know how much this affected my results. Based on just today's efforts I think I prefer the former recipe.

#44 LittleIsland

LittleIsland
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:05 AM

I made Tejon's recipe over the weekend. They are definitely chewy, but I felt the oats were a little too prominent (I used quick cooking as the recipe specified) for my liking in what's meant to be a chocolate chip cookie rather than an oatmeal cookie. And they didn't have the slightly crusty edges that most people like.

So far, the Unbelievably Good Chocolate Chunk Cookies are winning for me. Might go try a recipe with oatflour next, like the fake Neiman Marcus one.

#45 Baker's Dozen

Baker's Dozen
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:43 PM

I made Tejon's recipe over the weekend.  They are definitely chewy, but I felt the oats were a little too prominent (I used quick cooking as the recipe specified) for my liking in what's meant to be a chocolate chip cookie rather than an oatmeal cookie.  And they didn't have the slightly crusty edges that most people like.

So far, the Unbelievably Good Chocolate Chunk Cookies are winning for me.  Might go try a recipe with oatflour next, like the fake Neiman Marcus one.

View Post

Could you please tell me where to find this recipe?

#46 LittleIsland

LittleIsland
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:00 PM

I'll humbly add my chocolate chip recipe (click!), which I've been fiddling with since I was little. The cookies end up chewy with crisp edges, and incredibly rich. I've been approached by quite a few people to make these and sell them, but somehow I never got around to it  :smile:.

They look like this:
Posted Image

(psst - Kerry, there are now 10 chocolate chip recipes in RecipeGullet)

View Post

They're in the link above. I've baked mine a little longer this morning to see if I like them better that way :smile:

#47 shaloop

shaloop
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:45 PM

I made Tejon's recipe over the weekend.  They are definitely chewy, but I felt the oats were a little too prominent (I used quick cooking as the recipe specified) for my liking in what's meant to be a chocolate chip cookie rather than an oatmeal cookie.  And they didn't have the slightly crusty edges that most people like.

So far, the Unbelievably Good Chocolate Chunk Cookies are winning for me.  Might go try a recipe with oatflour next, like the fake Neiman Marcus one.

View Post

Could you please tell me where to find this recipe?

View Post

Was this the one you were looking for? Unbelievably Good Chocolate Chip Cookie

#48 LittleIsland

LittleIsland
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:03 AM

Was this the one you were looking for?  Unbelievably Good Chocolate Chip Cookie

View Post

:blush: Thanks Shaloop. Obviously have been eating too many cookies lately :biggrin:

#49 achevres

achevres
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:15 AM

Hello, never thought I'd have anything to contribute but I was surprised to find the recipe that I've been using for years in RecipeGullet. It's the Chocolate Chip Cookies With Pudding recipe.

When I first tried this recipe out I found them to be a bit greasy so I reduced the amount of butter to 3/4 cup. I made them this past Saturday and they turned out well (just by my standards  :raz:). The pictures, if you're interested, are here.

View Post

Thanks for the tip on the butter.

Your pictures are better than the ones in some cookbooks!

#50 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:21 AM

Has anybody made Amanda Hesser's Flat and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies?

I know, I read the blogger's comments, but I made the Unbelievably Good Chocolate Chip Cookie and I felt it was a waste of my Valrhona chocolate.

I would make Tejon's, but I don't like oatmeal in my cookies unless they are oatmeal raisin.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#51 achevres

achevres
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:26 AM

View Post

I have been making the traditional Toll House recipe with Plugra butter. It makes a big difference. In what way? Crunchy and chewy at the same time. Also, very consistent. My daughter and her friends said they were the best ever. I had read so much that using high-fat butter made baked goods better and have to agree.

I followed the recipe exactly but with the addition of an extra 1/4 teaspoon salt to compensate for the lack of salt in the butter (1/8 ts per stick).

I am going to try some of the recipes posted here next time.

#52 achevres

achevres
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:33 AM

What I meant to say is that if Plugra helps the basic recipe I'm sure it will work well in the other ones.

#53 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:24 PM

These are insanely good:
Chocolate Espresso Chews
http://www.finerkitc...akin_incredible
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#54 sugar plum

sugar plum
  • participating member
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:24 AM

These were the last chocolate chip cookies that I made. They're from Dorie Greenspan's latest baking book:
Posted Image

I tried this bake-off on my own ~2 years ago and got pretty much no where with my search for the best chocolate chip cookie recipe...except sick of chocolate chip cookies! Through that process, I did realize that I'm a purist when it comes to the chocolate chip cookie. I believe it should be the usual butter/sugar/egg/flour base with chocolate chips added in. No nuts, no dried fruit, no cocoa/chocolate cookie batter.

I decided this morning to compare a few of the mentioned recipes. It appears as though the Unbelievably Good Chocolate Chunk Cookies, Amanda Hesser's Flat-and-Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies, Mrs.Field's Chocolate Chip Cookies, Tyler Florence's Chocolate Chip Cookies and Dorie's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies all appear to be a variation (i.e. +/- a Tbsp of this or a 1/2 cup of that) on the following list of ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda (some also add 1 tsp of baking powder)
1 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter
~1.5-2 cups of some sugar combination (either half white and half brown or something in between)
2 eggs
~1 tsp vanilla extract (some add up to 1 Tbsp)
1-2 cups of chocolate chips/chunks

Having made Dorie's and feeling that this is probably pretty representative of the above recipe and variations thereof, I embark to try the others: Alton Brown's Chewy, the Pudding cookie and the mythical Neiman Marcus cookie recipe. I'll probably try Tejon's recipe as well. If I'm not totally chocolate chip cookie'd out, I may bake off the CI's version as well. Quickly reading the CI's recipe instructions, I'm confused already! Does it make that much difference in the cookie's texture to rip and rotate 90 degrees?!

Did anyone else notice that the Neiman Marcus recipe that's on their website is not the same one that's circulating the web? Looky here:
http://www.neimanmar...ie_recipe.jhtml
vs.
http://www.snopes.co...umer/cookie.asp

#55 LittleIsland

LittleIsland
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:57 AM

I made Dorie Greenspan's chocolate chip cookies from her latest book as well, and I like them better than Alton Brown's The Chewy. Better flavour.

#56 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:30 AM

I decided this morning to compare a few of the mentioned recipes.  It appears as though the Unbelievably Good Chocolate Chunk Cookies, Amanda Hesser's Flat-and-Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies, Mrs.Field's Chocolate Chip Cookies, Tyler Florence's Chocolate Chip Cookies and Dorie's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies all appear to be a variation (i.e. +/- a Tbsp of this or a 1/2 cup of that) on the following list of ingredients ...

are the methodologies all similar as well (creaming the butter and sugar, oven temp, etc.)?

i look forward to hearing about your results.

#57 sugar plum

sugar plum
  • participating member
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

are the methodologies all similar as well (creaming the butter and sugar, oven temp, etc.)?

i look forward to hearing about your results.

View Post

As far as I can remember, yes, the instructions are all pretty similar. The only thing that changes a bit is the baking temperature which fluctuated between 325-375 degrees. I believe most had a baking time of ~10-16 minutes. I think it depends on the author's decision on how many cookies he/she wanted their recipe to make. Smaller cookies=lower baking temperature/time. Just my guess. I find the whole baking time/temperature that an author gives in their recipe a suggestion anyways. I always lower the oven temperature from what the recipe says and keep a close eye on them.

The Unbelievably Good Chocolate Chip cookie recipe just seemed to have halved the recipe I mentioned in the previous post.

Today, I'm going to try to make the dough for Alton's chewy and the Neiman Marcus cookie. I'll report back soon.

As an aside, Kerry, I'm really having fun with these bake-offs. Thanks so much for getting them started for us!

#58 sugar plum

sugar plum
  • participating member
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

For those of you that are interested, I thought I would provide a link for all the purely chocolate chip cookie recipes (i.e. butter/flour-oats/sugar base with chips and sometimes nuts added in) mentioned throughout this thread so you could compare for yourselves:

Unbelievably Good Chocolate Chunk Cookies
http://wordstoeatby....ip-cookies.html

Neiman Marcus Cookies (possibly!)
http://www.snopes.co...umer/cookie.asp

Mrs. Field's Cookies (I'm not sure if this link is going to work or not for you)
http://www.topsecret...yes&id=69&page=

...if not just go to www.topsecretrecipes.com and search for it.

Nestle Toll House Cookies
http://www.verybestb...l.aspx?ID=18476

Tyler Florence Big, Fat Cookies
http://www.foodnetwo...6_22207,00.html

Alton Brown's The Chewy
http://www.foodnetwo...6_13617,00.html

Amanda Hesser's Cookies
http://wednesdaychef...a_hessers_.html

The Pudding Recipe:
http://recipes.egull...cipes/r242.html

Tejon's Cookies:
http://recipes.egull...ipes/r1976.html

I can PM someone if they want Dorie's and the CI's recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies. Whew! I think I got them all?

#59 sugar plum

sugar plum
  • participating member
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:56 AM

I'll stop after this, I promise! I just remembered that someone in a post in this thread mentioned Martha's chocolate chip cookie bake-off. I searched her site and found this:
http://www.marthaste...sc=taxonomylist

Hopefully, this link works. Jacques uses bread and pastry flour with his recipe. I might have to bake this cookie just to see if it makes a big difference.

#60 Aria B.

Aria B.
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:42 PM

Sugar Plum,

Wow, this is great to have all the links in one place. Thank you!
Aria in Oregon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate