Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Anonymity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mamster

mamster
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 08:43 AM

To what lengths do you think a restaurant critic should go to remain anonymous? I assume you reserve under pseudonyms or guest names, but have you ever put on a disguise? Been recognized in a restaurant and had to figure out how to deal with it?
Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"
Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

#2 David Corcoran

David Corcoran
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 02:04 PM

I've never worn a disguise (except 10 extra pounds). My strong suspicion is that New Jersey restaurateurs do not spend their days expecting a visit from a restaurant critic -- unlike their Manhattan counterparts, who live in constant fear of a Grimes landing.

#3 David Corcoran

David Corcoran
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 02:15 PM

Oh, and have I ever been recognized? Not on a first visit, I'm reasonably sure, and I've never knowingly been recognized even on a second visit.

But maybe dozens of chefs are laughing behind their hands at the naïveté of that remark.