Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

looking for the BEST fatty tuna !

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ono Loa

Ono Loa
  • participating member
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

I REALLY want to treat myself to some great sushi.
where do i go to get the absloute BEST maguro?

any help?
Mahalo

#2 JumblyJu

JumblyJu
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:28 AM

I REALLY want to treat myself to some great sushi. 
where do i go to get the absloute BEST maguro?

any help?
                      Mahalo

View Post

I'm not a big maguro eater, I'm a hamachi lover.

I noticed that Yanagi sushi has a sashimi special of chu-toro, it's not the super premium o-toro, but might be worth a try.

I like Sushi Masa in Ward Center but not sure if he carries toro. I bet Yohei, Ideta, Maguro-ya or Sushi King would have a good maguro.

#3 stoked

stoked
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned hamachi, would you recommend the same places for hamachi?

#4 montrachet

montrachet
  • participating member
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:28 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned hamachi, would you recommend the same places for hamachi?

View Post

Not only the hamachi but maguro chutoro and otoro at mitch's were superb. hamachi is also excellent at tokkuri-tei when the sushi guy filets a whole fish on the spot. you can even ask for the hamachi toro if your system can handle it...rich rich rich!

#5 stoked

stoked
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:02 AM

at mitch's were superb.  hamachi is also excellent at tokkuri-tei when the sushi guy filets a whole fish on the spot. you can even ask for the hamachi toro if your system can handle it...rich rich rich!

View Post

Mitch's was excellent. Persuaded a friend to buy a round ticket to Honolulu for only 2.5hrs just to goto Mitch's and it was well worthwhile. Getting that kind of quality of fish is very difficult from where I am. Otoro, lobster sashimi etc is rare where I live. Lobster miso soup was excellent. Thanks for the tip!