Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pierre Herme

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#151 mangosteen

mangosteen
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:30 PM

Thanks so much for pointing out the macaron thread, bleud'auvergne. I obviously still have lots of reading to do on EGullet.

Les macarons from Saint-Emilion are simply cookies made with ground almonds and meringue, with no filling. They are much simpler than their Northern cousins. When they are good they are crispy at the edges and chewy in the middle. They're quite addictive and it's easy to eat a dozen. At Maison Blanchez they claim to use the original recipe from the monks of Saint-Emilion, dating back to 1620.

My husband is completely unhelpful... "Le macaron parfait est de Saint-Emilion, de chez Blanchez. Il faut qu'ils les goutent" I guess you just have to go there!

I will probably have to go back to Herme's and try the more traditional flavors (no rose or olive oil!), but there are so many other highly touted patisseries to try also. I have a plan to get a couple of macarons from each of 4 or 5 patisseries and take them home to do our own little taste comparison. I just found http://www.lemeilleu...rondeparis.com/ so maybe I can use that as a launching point.

p.s. We can get Bernachon chocolates in Paris, but not macarons. The chocolate is very good but so intense I can eat very little at one time. It's almost too much for me.

Edited by mangosteen, 05 February 2006 - 03:05 PM.

#152 bleudauvergne

bleudauvergne
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:50 AM

I just found http://www.lemeilleu...rondeparis.com/ so maybe I can use that as a launching point. 

View Post

This concours is very interesting, worth a look. :rolleyes:

Thank you mangosteen, for sharing the site with us!

#153 daisy17

daisy17
  • participating member
  • 804 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:35 AM

As I'm writing this I realize I really did choose some of the wackier flavours.  Maybe I should have stuck with the caramel, chocolate, vanilla varieties? 

View Post

Herme's chocolate and caramel macarons are absolutely phenomenal. I've never been a big fan of the crazy concoctions when it comes to macarons. I've always thought his are unparalleled.

#154 mukki

mukki
  • participating member
  • 474 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:07 PM

I so wanted to try the mini-kougelhopf, but I waited till our last day, and all were gone when we got there.

Here are the interiors of two favorites: Ispahan and a chocolate-yuzu creation.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And just in case that last one looks a little scary (it brings back delicious memories for me), here they are in full form:

Posted Image

#155 Stephanie Wallace

Stephanie Wallace
  • participating member
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:04 PM

Lovely! Those raspberries look huge.

Formerly known as "Melange"

#156 mangosteen

mangosteen
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:52 PM

Holy!! I am definitely going back to Herme's this week. Those both look incredible!

#157 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:29 AM

If anyone has any news of a new herme' line/runway show it would be much appreciated!
Seems like it has been awhile, no?
Thanks again
2317/5000

#158 illkirchen

illkirchen
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:43 PM

Pierre Hermé was the guest on a French radio show that airs from Mondays to Fridays, on France Musique. Every day, the host invites a different prominent figure in French society (anyone from singers to economists to philosophers to athletes) and, through a one-hour interview interspersed with musical selections chosen by the guest, offers a new perspective on the person.

Here's the link, but it will only be accessible until 1 PM French time, on Monday 11 June, when it will be replaced by the latest programme...

http://www.radiofran...sion.php?e_id=7

Enjoy!

#159 Felice

Felice
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:39 AM

Pierre Hermé fans won't want to miss eG Society member Fanny's posts about her experience as an intern in the famous pastry chef's kitchen, you can read all about it HERE
www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

#160 John Talbott

John Talbott
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:53 AM

According to Gayot.com, for Christmas this year, Pierre Hermé will introduce several new flavors of macaroon: white truffle-hazelnut, fig-elgantine rose-foie gras and chocolate-foie gras. “A black truffle Yule Log” will also be featured.
John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

#161 emsny

emsny
  • participating member
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:27 AM

Evoking my weeks-old thread on Paris salons de the', I do wish that Herme' would buy a few tables and chairs - and a room to set them up in. <Sigh>

#162 marlena spieler

marlena spieler
  • participating member
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:52 AM

According to Gayot.com, for Christmas this year, Pierre Hermé will introduce several new flavors of macaroon: white truffle-hazelnut, fig-elgantine rose-foie gras and chocolate-foie gras. “A black truffle Yule Log” will also be featured.

View Post

this sounds totally worth buying a eurostar ticket for!
Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

#163 ajgnet

ajgnet
  • participating member
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:29 AM

I stopped by Pierre Hermé last week, and was very surprised by the excessive amount of ganache used for the macarons. As a big fan of macarons, I was disappointed. But, the individual cakes, particularly the Ispahan, were delicious. My complete report with photos is available here.