Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Strange new foods

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jhlurie

jhlurie
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 06:33 PM

Welcome, David. We appreciate the visit!

Does your approach towards reviewing a restaurant differ significantly if you are unfamiliar with the cuisine? Obviously this is most relevent to ethnic cuisines, although it might also be interesting for you to talk about other kinds of pre-review research as well, if you ever need to do it.
Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

#2 David Corcoran

David Corcoran
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 10:48 AM

If I don't know the cuisine, I try to research it both before and after my visits, using standard reference works, cookbooks, the Web, people who are familiar with the cooking, et al.

It's pretty daunting to dive into a new cuisine, but also fun and instructive. And while comparisons are obviously difficult (you can't compare a dish you've never eaten with a dish you've never eaten), the basic criteria for judging are the same in any language: Is it fresh? Is it tasty? Is it interesting?