Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

The Daiquiri

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#211 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 770 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

I just meant that what most people call a Hemingway Daq these days (Maraschino, grapefruit , Daq trinity) is really a Papa Doble/No. 3. Hassouni's right that the Papa Doble and the HemiDaq are historically distinct.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#212 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:00 PM

I am still confused.  When Hemingway walked into El Floridita and was handed a glass, what would be in it and in what proportion?

In my glass at the moment is Mississippi punch.

#213 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Can we try to keep things straight for 2 weeks or at least one thread page?

I have the authority of the Bum. And I know for a fact Rafa is consulting the same recipes for his Power Daiquiris  :laugh:

• Rafa likes this

#214 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:30 AM

A recent Daiquiri No. 2 with Plantation 3 Stars, lime juice, orange juice, simple syrup, Clement Creole shrubb.

14911273213_23ca2f172d_z.jpg

#215 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:10 PM

I had not tasted a daiquiri in a while, but I have a lot of seldom used rum and a lot of limes.  These were Embury's ratio, with Difford's suggestion of shaking with the lime peel:

DaiquiriBrugal01182015.jpg

DaiquiriFlorDeCana01182015.jpg

I enjoyed them both.  My only complaint is they warmed up a bit while waiting for the pictures.  And I apologize for the hand held iPad photographs in front of the computer.

Now I suppose I could post the same pictures in the dinner thread.

#216 Fernet-Bronco

Fernet-Bronco
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

What nuts are those?? They look great! Do you have a recipe if they're homemade?

#217 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

Thank you, I am flattered.  They are ShopRite supermarket store-brand dry roasted salted peanuts.  My special recipe is to add a lot of extra salt.

#218 Fernet-Bronco

Fernet-Bronco
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

Well chalk it up to the sophisticated presentation and photo then! Looks very appetizing.

#219 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

Speaking of Denizen Merchant's Reserve, it was really great in the Daiquiri variation called Captain's Blood (named after the classic movie with Errol Flynn). Rum, lime juice, simple, Angostura bitters

17171324122_dd793a483f_z.jpg

Tasteful and balanced; gone in no time.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 20 April 2015 - 11:34 AM.

• Hassouni, Rafa and Fernet-Bronco like this

#220 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:11 PM

Experimenting with large (2x2) ice cubes in the Dave Arnold and Death & Co styles

DA: 1 large cube, 2 small cubes

D&Co: 2 large cubes

same recipe:

2 oz Havana Club Añejo 3 Años

fat 1/2 oz lime

1/4 oz 2:1 white SS

the DA recipe is more balanced and more concentrated tasting (and, therefore, AWESOME). The D&Co technique tastes more diluted and a bit out of balance.

I'll repeat the tests on a less hard-to-get rum...

#221 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

the DA recipe is more balanced and more concentrated tasting (and, therefore, AWESOME). The D&Co technique tastes more diluted and a bit out of balance.

That's interesting, I know DA recommends doing two smaller cubes for improved texture but it seems counterintuitive that the two large cube approach would taste more diluted. I'm sure someone smarter than I am can explain it. Guess I'll just have to make some daiquiris and see for myself, in the name of science of course.

#222 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:42 AM

That's interesting, I know DA recommends doing two smaller cubes for improved texture but it seems counterintuitive that the two large cube approach would taste more diluted. I'm sure someone smarter than I am can explain it. Guess I'll just have to make some daiquiris and see for myself, in the name of science of course.

More surface area? I'm not sure. The strange thing is neither seemed colder than the other. If one really was more diluted, it should at least be colder.

#223 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:03 PM

More surface area? I'm not sure. The strange thing is neither seemed colder than the other. If one really was more diluted, it should at least be colder.

That could be, I have never measured if the all the exposed sides of two small cubes exceeds the surface area of the large cube. Were both sets of cubes roughly tempered the same? I find when I use large cubes that are still too cold I get more ice shards than I do from using smaller cubes. That's my biggest issue with the two large cube method, I feel I have to wait a decent amount of time before I have ice that won't shatter.

#224 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:28 PM

Not sure, I wasn't overwhelmingly scientific about it

#225 Craig E

Craig E
  • participating member
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:30 PM

Not sure, I wasn't overwhelmingly scientific about it

Which drink did you try second? ;-) A friend of mine told me she was working on perfecting a cocktail's proportions. Every night she'd make it one way, then alter one thing and find the second was better than the first. Then she'd start with that recipe the next night, with another alteration that made it even better. She assumed she was incrementally working her way to the perfect drink, but at some point she realized she merely enjoyed the second drink more every time because she was tipsy.

Edited by Craig E, 07 June 2015 - 03:34 PM.

• haresfur likes this

#226 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:12 PM

DA's was first, D&Co was second, so there goes that theory! For now I'm sticking to a shaker full of normal ice.

• sbumgarner likes this