Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Daiquiri

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#151 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 888 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Hard to imagine many things overpowering Wray & Nephew!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#152 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 434 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

I suspect 8:2:1 would still come out tangy and refreshing. I'll try that ratio next time.

That is David Embury's recommended ratio for sours and it works quite well.  I could never seem to get a Jack Rose to taste right until I used this ratio.  (But don't use Don Q unless you want a Kamizake instead of a Daiquiri!).

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#153 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

Don Q is not my default white rum, I just had a bunch of it leftover from an event. I'm jealously hoarding my bottle and a half of Palo Viejo...

For those without access to Boriken's finest, Flor de Caña is my rum of choice.

#154 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

Ladies and gentlemen:

8:2:1 is a winner. Yes, it's more tart than sweet, but everything is in relative harmony. I might go so far as to say 8:2.5:1 is my ideal, but I think this is my new default ratio, unless it's a really hot day and I need the extra bite that 8:3:1 gives - but in either case, the 8 parts rum to 1 part 2:1 SS is where it's at.

Of course, this was all with Don Q, which brinza rightly pointed out as not being the best stuff to use, but since the first two were done with it, the third had to be as well, for consistency's sake.

Edited by Hassouni, 11 April 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#155 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

Ladies and gentlemen:

8:2:1 is a winner. Yes, it's more tart than sweet, but everything is in relative harmony. I might go so far as to say 8:2.5:1 is my ideal, but I think this is my new default ratio, unless it's a really hot day and I need the extra bite that 8:3:1 gives - but in either case, the 8 parts rum to 1 part 2:1 SS is where it's at.

Of course, this was all with Don Q, which brinza rightly pointed out as not being the best stuff to use, but since the first two were done with it, the third had to be as well, for consistency's sake.

The thinking behind Embury's ratio for sours is to ensure that you still taste the spirit.  He referred to the other ingredients as "modifiers" which I think is very telling.  His idea was that the liquor is what you're really drinking, so for a cocktail, you just want to augment it slightly, not obliterate it.  I don't think David Embury drank a lot of tiki drinks.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#156 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

I agree with that philosophy for the most part, especially if using something better than Don Q. After all, isn't a basic daiquiri the way many people test out new rums?

Speaking of Tiki, even the Mai Tai was created to showcase a rum, not hide it.

#157 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

I agree with that philosophy for the most part, especially if using something better than Don Q. After all, isn't a basic daiquiri the way many people test out new rums?

Yes, it is.

Speaking of Tiki, even the Mai Tai was created to showcase a rum, not hide it.

True (I was being facetious about Embury because he probably looked down his nose at most of the juice-laden tropical punches). And when you look at a lot of tiki recipes, it becomes apparent that the Daiquiri is the kernel of many of them.
Mike

#158 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

Embury favoured Cuban rums and even went as far as to say Jamaican rums were best as modifiers and accents.

Manning the Bar
A Cocktail Blog

#159 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

Well, quite, but for those of us misfortunate enough to be stuck here in Yankeestan, the products of our hopefully soon to be 51st State are a decent substitute (along with a certain Flor de Something from Nicaragua)