Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Daiquiri

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#31 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

Isn't a Hemingway Daiquiri properly served frappé style?

Frappé... hmmm.... what a confusing term. If by frappé you mean a slushy consistency, I would say no. However crushed ice may well be the historically-appropriate version.
In any case, I can assure you that it is fantastic served up too!

#32 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

I made a simple Daiquiri Naturale last night using rhum agricole.

Posted Image

2 oz rum, 1 oz lime juice, 3/4 oz simple syrup.

It is my favorite way to enjoy a good unaged rhum agricole. La Favorite has a very distinctive grassy/funky flavor that is wonderful in this drink. I never get tired of it.

#33 turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Smith & Cross, lime, and demerara syrup, 2 : 1 : 3/4-- this is the drink that got me through the heat wave.

#34 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

I made a nice daiquiri for myself the other night using the proportions from THIS great Jeffrey Morgantahaler video on Small Screen Network. Used Mount Gay gold, regular 1:1 simple and fresh lime. Second round I used 1/2 oz. lime juice and 1/4 oz. yuzu juice and it was brighter and even tastier. That might be going onto my cocktail menu at work...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#35 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Daiquiri Naturale again, this time with a newly acquired bottle of JM white rhum agricole. I could not resist - it was only $26 at my local Bristol Farms.

Posted Image

Less grassy/green than La Favorite but still plenty of "funk" with great tropical fruit/coconut flavors.

#36 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Last night I tried the Rum Crawl (rum & lime sweetened with ginger syrup and falernum + whiskey-barrel aged bitters), a creation from Bourbon & Branch in San Francisco that was documented in a blog post by Dave Stolte/Home Bar Basics.

It reminded me of the Captain's Blood, another great drink that I mentioned upthread, with an additional layer of flavor imparted by the ginger syrup and falernum. I used Canton ginger liqueur and store-bought falernum, but I would love to make my own falernum at some point. The rum was Appleton 12-year old.

Posted Image

#37 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

After an unremarkable daiquiri from the PDT cocktail book (see the Hotel Nacional here), I tried the Winter Daiquiri from the current issue of Imbibe Magazine. I was a little nervous to use vanilla syrup thinking that it would be another overly sweet daiquiri.

It's a creation from Mindy Kucan (from Hale Pele, the relatively new tiki bar in Portland owned by Blair Reynolds) and it has aged rum (I used Plantation Barbados 5), lime juice, vanilla syrup, allspice dram, and angostura bitters.

Posted Image

Lovely spice and the balance is right, the vanilla is there as an undertone but does not overwhelm the drink. Very well done.

#38 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

A comparison of Hemingway Daiquiris last night with Banks 5 Island white rum and an oro blanco grapefruit.

8761249890_53350bda05_z.jpg

PDT version [on the left]

2 oz rum

0.5 oz grapefruit juice

0.75 oz lime juice

0.5 oz maraschino liqueur

Bartender's Choice App

1.5 oz rum

1 oz grapefruit juice

0.5 oz lime juice

0.75 oz maraschino liqueur

The PDT version puts more emphasis on the citrus. The flavor of the maraschino is more pronounced in the Bartender's Choice version and it is a touch sweeter. Both work with a preference for the Bartender's Choice version (I don't think that I am biased but in any case I also included my husband in the study as a blinded subject and he had the same conclusion).

#39 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 644 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

A comparison of Hemingway Daiquiris last night with Banks 5 Island white rum and an oro blanco grapefruit.

8761249890_53350bda05_z.jpg

PDT version [on the left]

2 oz rum

0.5 oz grapefruit juice

0.75 oz lime juice

0.5 oz maraschino liqueur

Bartender's Choice App

1.5 oz rum

1 oz grapefruit juice

0.5 oz lime juice

0.75 oz maraschino liqueur

The PDT version puts more emphasis on the citrus. The flavor of the maraschino is more pronounced in the Bartender's Choice version and it is a touch sweeter. Both work with a preference for the Bartender's Choice version (I don't think that I am biased but in any case I also included my husband in the study as a blinded subject and he had the same conclusion).

Thanks for sharing the comparison. I agree with your assessment: the PDT version's good, but puts too much emphasis on the lime (easily the least interesting element of the drink). 

Just made one to the Bartender's Choice specs, cutting back the Maraschino slightly to .5 oz, with a mix of 1 oz Wray & Nephew and .5 oz Barbancourt 5 Star. Sensational. There's nothing more refreshing.

ETA made another one to the Bartender's Choice specs but with .5 oz Maraschino and .25 Green Chartreuse... wow. Not a replacement, but a nice variant. 

Edited by Rafa, 21 May 2013 - 02:19 PM.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#40 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Just made one to the Bartender's Choice specs, cutting back the Maraschino slightly to .5 oz, with a mix of 1 oz Wray & Nephew and .5 oz Barbancourt 5 Star. Sensational. There's nothing more refreshing.

Oh.

Shit.

I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

For what it's worth, I think the record is pretty clear that Hemingway's daiquiris were heavier on the lime than the grapefruit, and did not have that much maraschino in them.

#41 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

Last night's variation:

1.5 oz Wray and Nephew
1 oz lime juice
.5 oz 2:1 raw sugar simple

Came off very buttery, which although is not the first description you'd usually associate with a Daquiri really did it for me in this instance. Never mixed with the Wray and Nephew before but had some left over from a batch of falernum, time to buy some more.

#42 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

Has anyone tried a Daiquiri with the Cana Brava rum yet? I tried it straight for the first time at Death and Co. the other night, I was impressed with agricole-like flavors, but curious to hear if anyone has mixed with it yet. It seems to be a good value, a liter for under $30.

#43 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

I haven't tried this rum, but anything that is agricole-like sounds perfect for a Daiquiri.

#44 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

2 oz Cynar

1/2 oz Smith & Cross

1/2 oz Lemon

It's just like a Daiquiri, except that it's bitter, funky, lemony and nothing like a Daiquiri. But it's damn delicious.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#45 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

2 oz Cynar

1/2 oz Smith & Cross

1/2 oz Lemon

It's just like a Daiquiri, except that it's bitter, funky, lemony and nothing like a Daiquiri. But it's damn delicious.

Reminds me of this one (navy dock daiquiri) which is next on my list of cocktails to try.

#46 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:01 AM

2 oz Cynar

1/2 oz Smith & Cross

1/2 oz Lemon

Does this sexy beast have a name? Did you invent it? I love it.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#47 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 969 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

No name yet. I am going to try Fred's Navy Dock Daiquiri to see which I prefer first. 

I'd be tempted to call it Sexy Beast, but it doesn't have Southern Comfort and Apple Pucker. ;)

#48 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 465 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Smith & Cross
1/2 oz Lemon

This will happen.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#49 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 969 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

Sorry Fred, but the sexy beast kicks your Daiquiri off the Navy Dock. I much prefer the Cynar base ratio, and I think lemon works. The Smith & Cross adds just the right undertone. Plus, the sexy beast has a reasonably amount of alcohol. Cynar is only 16.5% ABV. 

Now for a name.... Hmmmm.

#50 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

How about the Hearty Joke?

Must try some Cynar one day ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#51 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Sorry Fred, but the sexy beast kicks your Daiquiri off the Navy Dock. I much prefer the Cynar base ratio, and I think lemon works. The Smith & Cross adds just the right undertone. Plus, the sexy beast has a reasonably amount of alcohol. Cynar is only 16.5% ABV. 

Now for a name.... Hmmmm.

You could call it a 'Choked Up'.

#52 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

Reading this thread, I'm thinking I need to go buy myself another bottle of Cynar real soon...

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#53 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

Yeah I am running super low...

#54 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Smith & Cross
1/2 oz Lemon

Enjoyed one of these last night, outstanding.

#55 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

If it were made with a certain other run, Lemonheart would be fitting ;-

#56 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

I hope I have enough Cynar left to try it tonight because that's the plan!

#57 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

Inner Circle Green, perhaps. I do have some casually loitering around, I think, but half way through a bottle of Durif I don't feel it's an appropriate time for such a Cynartastic drink.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#58 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 700 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

Has anyone tried a Daiquiri with the Cana Brava rum yet? I tried it straight for the first time at Death and Co. the other night, I was impressed with agricole-like flavors, but curious to hear if anyone has mixed with it yet. It seems to be a good value, a liter for under $30.

Haven't had it in a daiquiri yet but tried it as part of a tiki class at Holeman & Finch pub this past weekend. Had it in a Planters Punch as well as neat. As I recall it was a molasses based Panamanian rum bottled in the States (California perhaps?). A 3 yo filtered slightly off white rum, it seemed serviceable as a mixer but  not one I would count on to carry the show by itself. Didn't seem at all like an agricole (We were "studying" JM rhum as well) but then I didn't really expect it to be.

Don't recall thinking it was that much different or better than Flor de Caña 4yo but I didn't have that available to compare side by side. Probably costs more though hard to say for sure since it is a liter.

Edited by tanstaafl2, 24 June 2013 - 02:00 PM.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#59 teapot

teapot
  • participating member
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

dacricot.JPG

This probably doesn't qualify but I made it up tonight and it sure was good. I'm calling it a Dacricot:  rum, freshly poached apricot, ice and tincture of cardamom:

Edited by teapot, 24 June 2013 - 11:38 PM.

#60 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

The Cloak and Dagger, a Daiquiri with a mix of rums. The recipe in the Bartender's Choice app called for Gosling + aged rum. I went with Coruba dark Jamaican rum and Flor de Cana 4 year extra dry rum. Simple but to the point.

9132140206_4d8b4becd8_z.jpg