Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Easter Menus

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#181 emilyr

emilyr
  • participating member
  • 500 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

I have just started planning, and went to Sam's today to get some of the things I'll need a lot of (cooking for a minimum of 18 teens/adults), primarily salad mix. We like the organic spring mix of greens for salads, and it's pretty darn cheap there. I am going to make it into a salad with cherry tomatoes, avocados (both really good deals!) and roasted corn with a lime vinaigrette.

Last year, I made potato gratin with horseradish and Asiago cheese, and everyone seemed to love it, so I think I'll do it again.

I also got nearly a ton of pretty, skinny, sweet carrots, and I'm thinking of roasting &/or glazing them. I'm not sure on the flavor combo. Carrot, grapefruit and tarragon sounds really good to me, but I don't know if those all really go together. What do you think?

If it looks like I'll need one more veggie, I'll do green beans with garlic and almonds. Or grilled asparagus (because my sister will be happy to BBQ them!)

It's been absolutely beautiful weather-wise here the last couple of weekends, so if it remains nice, I will convince my little sister to grill. She is really good at it. If the weather is bad I'll roast it cut into more manageable lengths. I found a whole pork loin for about $25, so, score! My family really loves pork with sage and garlic incisions. Last year we only had 15 of us and there was no pork leftover with a loin of similar size. My grandmama (who is hosting), has some ham steaks in her freezer she bought after Christmas, so I'll make those with a cherry jam glaze, too.

Like I said, I'm just getting started on the planning, so most of this is still pretty much up in the air until I get a chance to go grocery shopping. All I've bought so far is the salad mix, carrots, tomatoes, and avocados. I didn't get the pork yet, because I want to make sure it's not on sale at the hometown grocery store.
"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

#182 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,826 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

I am only cooking for five and constrained by needing to use the last of the bargain turkeys my dad picked up over Thanksgiving/Christmas. The seniors are also not eating that much these days and never accept leftovers to take home.

The current simple plan is:

Turkey roasted with hot Italian sausage and fresh from the garden oregano tucked under the skin; tangerine halves and smashed garlic in the cavity.

Potatoes thinly sliced (mandoline) and cooked in cream with fresh marjoram (large sprigs pulled out before it gets crusty)

Roasted asparagus (tossed first with soy, balsamic, piloncillo)

Chopped romaine salad with a Dijon mustard/walnut oil/lemon incl zest dressing and studded with avocado, green onion and ginormous home-made croutons

Gravy because my step mother would be horrified if I did not serve any

Cranberry sauce unfortunately from a can as I used up all my frozen ones.... I would have preferred to do some sort of citrus ('tis the season) chutney but have to bow to their likes

Fresh pineapple as a sort of counterpoint/pre-dessert

Lemon bars as dessert provided by step mom

#183 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Rabbit, long-braised in white-wine mushroom sauce.

The braising pan, deglazed with cream to form a beschamelesque gravy.

Quinua and wild rice.

Gigantic salad to end all salads.

Hot cross buns.

Cooking for three.
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#184 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

There will only be the two of us.

Grilled Lamb Rib Chops seasoned with garlic, rosemary, thyme and cayenne
Gratin Dauphinois (half recipe) from Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook
Steamed Broccoli spears

#185 sculptor

sculptor
  • participating member
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

I also got nearly a ton of pretty, skinny, sweet carrots, and I'm thinking of roasting &/or glazing them. I'm not sure on the flavor combo. Carrot, grapefruit and tarragon sounds really good to me, but I don't know if those all really go together. What do you think?

Tarragon seems like a good idea to my internal flavour memories. I kind of flip back and forth between the two memories and a get good idea how they would taste together. Note, I've used grapefruit in a salad with carrots and avocado dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette but I suspect that in a savoury dish it might not work as well. You could use some candied grapefruit peel which would supply an interesting flavour without the acid of the fruit...

#186 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Updated menu for tomorrow:

Mother's ruin punch

Curried English pea soup with crème fraîche (Lucques)

Blood oranges, dates, Parmesan and almonds (Lucques)

Asparagus and ricotta ravioli (Babbo)

Herb roasted rack of lamb with flageolet gratin, roasted radicchio and tapenade (Lucques)

Crème fraîche panna cotta with strawberries (Lucques)

Chocolate pots de crème (David Lebovitz)

The soup and prep for the salad are done. The ravioli is ready as well. The racks of lamb are marinating in herbs.
Can't wait for tomorrow!

#187 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

First time hosting a holiday meal with extended family (my wife's family, that is). I grew up with ham at Easter in true Southern fashion, but I've always been attracted to lamb for the novelty, and the symbolism. Our menu, for 9-10:

Pregame: rabbit terrine with assorted pickles and prosecco

Late lunch of roast leg of lamb, with persillade (or maybe pistou persillade is more correct), cauliflower gratin, cucumber salad with yogurt and mint, French style potato salad (ie, with vinaigrette), MIL's deviled eggs, homemade focaccia with herbes de provence. Cotes du Rhone or similar to drink (about to go to the wine store). Carrot Cake provided by MIL from excellent local bakery for dessert, and coffee (natch).

Really looking forward to this meal, both the making and the eating.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#188 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

DH and I were just discussing Easter dinner (noonish). We have two South African friends coming, a daughter and her 96-year old Father (he was born in Borneo) plus their three BC dogs.

So, current decision is that Ed will do most of the cooking: beef roast, gravy, mashed potatoes, cooked vegetable. I'll make a greens salad and dessert is till up in the air. Maybe the Margarita Pie. With homemade ice cream? Oh, and homemade bread.

Our guests won't care what they are fed. They just love to visit here at the farm.

The other idea, which probably won't happen, is either Mafe or Matoke. Hmmm... Lots of time still to futz about with it. :hmmm:

Finally got the Matoke made today and DH announced: This is what we are having for Easter dinner with the guests. With rice. And salad. OK. New plan. DH is doing the vacuuming. Hey! I made the dinner. :raz:

Margarita pie is made. Made one for the neighbors too. Oh my, it is scrumptious. :wub:
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#189 eldereno

eldereno
  • society donor
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

There are just 3 of us. Planning marinated and grilled lamb chops for my MIL and myself and rib eye steak for my husband, roasted asparagus, roasted beats, a white bean gratin, and a dessert of fried pound cake with vanilla ice cream and a fresh strawberry sauce.
Donna

#190 teapot

teapot
  • participating member
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

I've got some pork shoulder marinating in porchetta seasoning and will smoke it over alder
Sugar snaps with red/yellow peppers
Homemade SF style sourdough
Salad with butter lettuce, endive and gorgonzola dolce dressing
Lemon Buttermilk gelato (ala David Leibowitz) with blueberry clafouti.

#191 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Just two of us this year, so it was a low effort dinner. NY strip steaks, onion and fennel gratin, and deviled eggs (not because they go with the menu, but because its Easter)

Attached Images

• easter 12.2.jpg
  • easter 12.JPG
  • easter12.1.JPG

#192 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

I didn't cook but the menu was baked ham, scalloped potatoes, asparagus, rutabaga, cauliflower, fresh baked bread and a pie for dessert. I was too stuffed for dessert so I'm ashamed to say that I don't even know what was in the pie.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#193 BoldBaker

BoldBaker
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

We had easter dinner on Saturday at my place: Cooked for 10

• Alinea's Pork Belly, pickled vegetables, BBQ sugar, polenta
  • Celery, Date, Pecan, Ricotta Salata Salad
  • Roasted Baby Carrots and Fennel
  • Boned, Dry Rubbed, Jaccarded, Meat Glued Leg of Lamb: hot smoked over a bed of leeks and potatoes
  • Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Juice and Pecorino
  • Cannoli(s?), Ricotta Tart (made the ricotta myself)

Thank goodness I'm too young to drink, otherwise things might have turned out a little differently.

#194 Kitchen Detective

Kitchen Detective
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

BoldBaker: Sounds yummy. Especially the ricotta tart.

We wanted lamb chops, but settled for leg of lamb steaks with my rub: corriander, cumin, cloves and cinnamon. Dessert: Turtles by a local chocolateer with a glass of red blend. I ate it all.
My linkKitchen Detective's Mysteries

#195 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

Lovely Easter dinners, all. I had cheese dip, chips and red wine. I moved this week, and am still locating pieces of my kitchen.

However, I did cook duck eggs, bacon and apple-pecan muffins for breakfast, if that counts!

gfweb, I beg to differ. There are NO menus which are not enhanced by deviled eggs. And yours look lovely.
Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#196 sculptor

sculptor
  • participating member
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

very interested in the SV lamb results:

temp? time?

i did this once and the lamb came out mealy. I guess it was in the sv bath too long.

I like lamb tender and Rare!

do fresh herbs matter in this SV technique?

It worked out very well, though I might tone down the amount of herbs I used (I used about a teaspoon of each) next time.

The leg was boned and trimmed by the butcher and I essentially ended up with three different bags in the tank. The first of which took a about an hour and a half and the other two took about an hour longer... Note, I moved the needle probe to the next larger portion each time I removed a bag from the tank. Finally, after removing the lamb from the bag I finished by searing it with a torch.

I used the cooking juices and red wine to make a sauce. I've noticed in the past that if I heat the juices it causes the proteins in it to coagulate so I first cooked off the alcohol from the wine, thickened that and cooled it down before adding the juices.

#197 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

It was just the two of us and I was developing a horrendous headache so instead of my fantasy meal we had:

Pork chops braised in milk, burned.
Frozen mixed veg, burned.

But the mesclun salad (from a mix) with fresh lemon/garlic dressing was very good!

I think maybe we'll have a re-do on Orthodox Easter next Sunday :blink:

#198 Blues_Cookin

Blues_Cookin
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

Just the two of us here, so smoked loin back ribs, crispy cabbage with peppers in cider vinegar, and cornbread. And a couple IPA's.
Orem, Utah

#199 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

Just the two of us here, so smoked loin back ribs, crispy cabbage with peppers in cider vinegar, and cornbread. And a couple IPA's.

What is crispy cabbage??? How do you 'crisp' it?
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#200 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

My butcher sold my bunny to somebody else! :angry: :angry: :angry: (grrrr....)

So, it ended up being a roasted chicken breast, melloco and avocado salad, and some steamed beets. And I was so looking forward to the fatty fatty goodness that is rabbit braised and covered in cream.....
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#201 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

I made deviled eggs, roasted rack of lamb with garlic-mustard-rosemary crust, roasted asparagus, and sauteed snap peas with bacon. Pretty low hassle (besides peeling the damn eggs) and tasty.

#202 BoldBaker

BoldBaker
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

If I wasn't eating lamb, I think I'd "settle" for a little smoked pork parts and southern cooking any time Blues. How do you make crispy cabbage?

#203 Nina C.

Nina C.
  • participating member
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

Oh no Panaderia! That's terrible. Chicken is a poor substitute for rabbit. You'll have to have a do-over.

Since I used this thread for inspiration, I thought I'd post my notes on my first Easter dinner!

Deviled Eggs - 2 kinds. The first, horseradish, butter, mayo, mustard, paprika. The second was capered deviled eggs mentioned in the eG deviled eggs thread, and found via Google Books I eye-balled the mayo so it could have been my error, but this was a very wet filling. Still, delicious though. When I make them again, I'll chop the capers and add a few extra to boost their presence.

Sardine Tonnato - So easy and incredibly delicious. I served this with matzoh since I had Jewish guests at the table, and it turned out to be a perfect accompaniment.

Salad with strawberries and pine nuts
Braised artichokes in lemon and olive oil I rushed this to the table and didn't taste it first. A mistake! It needed more salt and more acid to finish.
Roasted leg of lamb with potatoes -mmmmm
roasted root vegetables
creamed spinach the mark bittman way
olive rosemary bread

carrot cake roulade
matzah crack - i think there were something like 8 flavors. I tend to go a little nutty when I make matzah candy.
doughnuts (brought by a guest)
rainbow cookies (brought by a guest)
easter candy, of course

Edited by Nina C., 10 April 2012 - 06:53 AM.

#204 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Radiatore alfredo, asparagus, spinach.
Strawberries, watermelon, lemon mini-cakes with lemon curd topping.
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#205 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Easter is around the corner. I will be hosting a family meal as I do every year (it's my favorite holiday - no turkey and no presents!).

What is on everyone's menu?

#206 kryptos1

kryptos1
  • participating member
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Local Leg of Lamb....simple Robushon recipe

IMG_20130330_114203_205_zpsbf2a3361.jpg

#207 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Local Leg of Lamb....simple Robushon recipe

IMG_20130330_114203_205_zpsbf2a3361.jpg

Beautiful. Regarding local lamb - you are in the US, right?

Also, more details on the Robuchon recipe for leg of lamb, please.

Most of the lamb we get around here (San Diego) seems to be from New Zealand. I have started marinating a few lamb shanks last night in preparation for our meal tomorrow.

8600937321_4f15a4b4f3_z.jpg

The menu will be:

Beet and tangerines with mint and orange-flower water
Lamb osso buco with shell bean ragout, haricots verts, and tapenade
Vanilla semifreddo with rhubarb compote

All recipes from Sunday Suppers at Lucques.

Mario Batali tweeted his Easter menu earlier; it looks mouthwatering as well. I am taking note for next year!

Mario_Radish_normal.jpg

Tortellini, lamb leg, asparagus, zabaglione. ! #heymb

RT. @Milliano86: @Mariobatali what are you cooking for Easter Sunday ?”

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 30 March 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#208 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 899 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Ham. I'm Southern. With roasted asparagus, with lemon juice and parmigiano. Grilled pineapple. Potato salad. Very traditional, and I am cooking for one (plus the dog). Cooking with an eye toward repurposing later in the week.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#209 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,826 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Cooking for only three. The venue is not my home so I asked step-mom to make a big green salad and I would bring the rest. At their age not huge eaters. Of course my thought of lamb shanks thrilled my dad but his wife abhors them. She said to make anyway and she would bake herself some wings, OK.... So I am making the shanks now on a bed of fresh homegrown rosemary and garlic, just some Dijon mustard and homemade saba, and garden picked magnificent oregano on top. Since she dislikes the lamb smell I thought I would just reheat in microwave tomorrow. I do have some large chunks of carrot in the pan that my dad & I will enjoy. She won't touch them. I picked up some pencil thin asparagus for a song but for their tastes I am going to saute now in a bit of butter with green onion and a sprinkling of green peas; then toss with some just a bit of cooked spaghetti and finished with lemon juice, parmesan and cream (just a touch). Does not sound harmonious but I think it will work for our odd little situation. In case that is not enough carbs I am also bringing some hearty crusty bread.

#210 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Cooking for only three. The venue is not my home so I asked step-mom to make a big green salad and I would bring the rest. At their age not huge eaters. Of course my thought of lamb shanks thrilled my dad but his wife abhors them. She said to make anyway and she would bake herself some wings, OK.... So I am making the shanks now on a bed of fresh homegrown rosemary and garlic, just some Dijon mustard and homemade saba, and garden picked magnificent oregano on top. Since she dislikes the lamb smell I thought I would just reheat in microwave tomorrow. I do have some large chunks of carrot in the pan that my dad & I will enjoy. She won't touch them. I picked up some pencil thin asparagus for a song but for their tastes I am going to saute now in a bit of butter with green onion and a sprinkling of green peas; then toss with some just a bit of cooked spaghetti and finished with lemon juice, parmesan and cream (just a touch). Does not sound harmonious but I think it will work for our odd little situation. In case that is not enough carbs I am also bringing some hearty crusty bread.

Your step mom is kind. If you don't like lamb funk it ruins anything around it. I'm like her, lamb chops are OK, but a lamb shank is just not good to be around...recently had a potentially nice meal ruined for me because of a lamb shank to my left. You might think about seating and ventilation. I know it sounds crazy...