Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Black Cake and Browning

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#91 ncorrigbl

ncorrigbl
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

What is the total weight or volume of the soaked fruit for each recipe? I didn't really measure it going in when I set it to soak two years ago, and want to make the cakes now, to enhoy post Christmas! Thanks.

#92 ncorrigbl

ncorrigbl
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:03 PM

Six 6" round and two 8" round cakes are in my ovens now, and tasting the fruit beforehand I can tell you that they are going to be some gooooooooooooooooooood eating! I have enough to share AND enough to be glutton should I desire!!
I tallied up the total costs of these babies and they are NOT inexpensive. They cost about $25 in fruit, and approximately an additional $25 in booze. Not to mention the rest of the ingredients. YIKES! I saw them sold in the local Caribbean market for $20 per 6" cake, unfrosted. That is pretty reasonable, as they are a witch to mix. Such large volumes don't fit in the KA, so I cream the butter and sugar in the KA, add as much fruit as will fit,the dozen eggs, and then dump the whole shebang into a huge crock and add in the rest of the fruit and the flour. It takes quite a while to mix as I have to take breaks!
That being said, it is a joy to make and give these cakes to people who appreciate them. I made the mistake a few years ago to give them to some family members before they have had an oppoortunity to taste them. I found out later that they got THROWN OUT. Ouch. Lesson learned.
Hope you all enjoyed yours, and am happy that Hummingbirdkiss got her black cake groove back.
Hugs to all
Heather

#93 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

It all sounds really good Heather. Let us know how they turn out.

Phoenikia....how did your cakes turn out?

I'm going to make my cakes...someday...I just don't know when, but I'll post it for sure.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#94 phoenikia

phoenikia
  • participating member
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

The cake turned out well. I'll make sure I stir in the fruit mixture a little more carefully next time- there were a couple pale spots where the batter and the fruit weren't fully mixed. But the flavour was great- it got better each day! I brushed the cake with rum daily for about a week, until New Year's Eve when we had some guests over, when I covered the remaining half with rolled out marzipan. We still have about 1/5 of the cake left.

Next time I make the cake, I'll either look for burnt sugar syrup in a WI store, or I'll make a syrup with the burnt sugar, rather than my recipe's approach which just had burnt sugar stirred into the soaked fruit. Will also probably try another recipe next time.

Definitely worth the effort, but it is a considerable effort!

Edited by phoenikia, 07 January 2010 - 03:26 PM.

#95 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

Good going!

You won't have any trouble buying the burnt syrup in TO. There are so many WI stores around. I got mine in Scarborough.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#96 phoenikia

phoenikia
  • participating member
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

Thanks Darienne!

Which WI stores would you recommend in Scarborough, or elsewhere in TO?

I sometimes pick up WI groceries when I see them in Kensington Market, and my local Loblaws carries some WI condiments, curry powders, produce, and beverages, but I don't really have a go-to WI grocer!

#97 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

You might try asking this question as a thread in the Ontario Cooking and Baking part of Regional Cuisine for a more useful answer than I can give you. Many eGulleters live in Toronto and know it well.

I don't know Toronto well at all and the place I go to, Charlie's, I found because it's on Morningside across from Lee Valley, just north of the 401.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert