Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chocolate & confectionary Books

Confections Chocolate Cookbook Reference

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 gap

gap
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:06 AM

Over the past few years I've managed to build up my chocolate book library but I'm interested to hear what other people have read and their thoughts on the books. To start things off, some of my better books are:

Fine Chocolates Great Experience: Jean-Pierre Wybaux
I don't think this one needs any further description. THE book for many chocolatiers although it does assume some previous knowledge.

Belgian Chocolates: Roger Geerts
Another chocolate book I love. Lots of recipes, lots of photos on finishing techniques. Can be a little hard to follow in places as it has some assumed knowledge. As an aside, Geerts has now done a DVD to accompany this book.

The Chocolate Bible: Christian Teubner
This was a great find for me. I picked it up fairly cheaply at a bookstore and it has a wealth of information. Once again, lots of pictures of finished products. On the downside, the book is not dedicated to chocolate alone - there are also cakes and biscuits etc.

Candymaking: Kendrick & Atkinson
This was my introductory book to candy and chocolate making and still serves as a great reference for me - I still use the Creamy Fondant and Soft Caramel recipes. A little cheaper than some of the books above if you are looking for an introduction to the topic.

Truffles, Candies & Confections: Carole Bloom
Not many pictures, but choc full of recipes and tips. Covers a wide variety of chocolate and confectionary recipes.

The Complete Home Confectioner: Hilary Walden
A great introductory book more for confectionary than chocolate. Simple recipes but on a wide range of recipes and recipes different to those covered in the books above.

Otherwise I'm waiting for Making Artisan Chocolates (Shotts) and Chocolates and Confections (Greweling) which seem to have been well received by the eG community judging by the posts.

So what does everyone else read/use . . . ?

(edited for typos)

Edited by gap, 07 March 2007 - 02:08 AM.

#2 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,394 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:12 AM

I'd like to add a couple more I have found useful

First eG's own Elaine Gonzalez (chocartist). Her now out of print book Chocolate Artistry is amazing, I keep finding new stuff in there all the time. Her The Art of Chocolate is also an excellent basic book.

I like the Time Life good cook series book - Candy

A Basic Course in Confectionary by Ron Lee's

Antoinette Pope - The Antoinette Pope School Candy Book

L'ecole Lenotre - Chocolate and Confisiere vol 1 and 2

Skuse's complete Confectioner

Anita Prichard's Complete Candy Cookbook

#3 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:11 AM

rather expensive (but what good book isn't?)

Richemont Craft School: 'Swiss Confiseur'
-a bit old school and assumes quite a bit of knowledge as it is mostly just formulas with a tiny bit of theory. the good thing is, with each formula, there's a photograph of each candy showing how it should look when completed. i like pictures.

edited to change: Swill to Swiss!!!

Edited by alanamoana, 07 March 2007 - 10:08 AM.

#4 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

Richemont Craft School: 'Swill Confiseur'
-a bit old school and assumes quite a bit of knowledge as it is mostly just formulas with a tiny bit of theory.  the good thing is, with each formula, there's a photograph of each candy showing how it should look when completed.  i like pictures.

View Post

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I hope you meant 'Swiss Confiseur!'
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#5 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:07 AM

-a bit old school and assumes quite a bit of knowledge as it is mostly just formulas with a tiny bit of theory.  the good thing is, with each formula, there's a photograph of each candy showing how it should look when completed.  i like pictures.

View Post

View Post

agggghhh! i mean, some of the recipes ARE crap... :laugh: :raz:

#6 annachan

annachan
  • participating member
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

Chocolate Obsession by Michael Recchiuti.

#7 pattyc

pattyc
  • participating member
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:35 PM

Chocolate, Cocoa, and Confectionery by Bernanrd Minifie, which looks at the science behind chocolate.

#8 Nyago123

Nyago123
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

I am gonna follow the spirit of this thread and toss out any chocolate specific baking books, which I do have a few of. :rolleyes:

As hobbyists, my g/f and I are also big fans of the Recchiuti book, which you can buy in a special pack with another book for only $13 here : Amazon offer

We like it because you can make some smooth, professional-like good tasting ganaches at home. The Schotts book has fallen out of favor for multiple reasons (sorry Andrew, if you're reading this).

My personal favorite is the CIA "Chocolates & Confections" book by Greweling. I think if I could only have one book, that would be it.

The Chocolate Decorations book by Wybauw is a fun addition if you're into sculpting or just looking for something totally different, but it is somewhat focused on those who might be throwing/catering a party where you'd be doing a big presentation... and you better have a lot of time.

If you're looking to make "chocolates with that showroom finish", the eGullet thread in the Pastry & Baking forum is the place to go. :biggrin:

I think we're at the point where just practicing and experimenting teaches us the most, though it sure ain't cheap. :wacko:

#9 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,394 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:31 AM

I am gonna follow the spirit of this thread and toss out any chocolate specific baking books, which I do have a few of.  :rolleyes:

As hobbyists, my g/f and I are also big fans of the Recchiuti book, which you can buy in a special pack with another book for only $13 here : Amazon offer

We like it because you can make some smooth, professional-like good tasting ganaches at home.  The Schotts book has fallen out of favor for multiple reasons (sorry Andrew, if you're reading this).

My personal favorite is the CIA "Chocolates & Confections" book by Greweling.  I think if I could only have one book, that would be it.

The Chocolate Decorations book by Wybauw is a fun addition if you're into sculpting or just looking for something totally different, but it is somewhat focused on those who might be throwing/catering a party where you'd be doing a big presentation... and you better have a lot of time. 

If you're looking to make "chocolates with that showroom finish", the eGullet thread in the Pastry & Baking forum is the place to go.  :biggrin:

I think we're at the point where just practicing and experimenting teaches us the most, though it sure ain't cheap.  :wacko:

View Post

Welcome Nyago. Your choices and mine are pretty similar I see. Have fun with your experiments - we'd love to see pictures!

#10 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:28 PM

We like it because you can make some smooth, professional-like good tasting ganaches at home.   The Schotts book has fallen out of favor for multiple reasons (sorry Andrew, if you're reading this).

I agree that the Greweling book is top notch and I am currently waiting to get the Wybauw book through the local ILL to see if it warrants my spending additional money right now. (I should add that I am a novice and feel I should learn as much as I can from my current books before indulging in buying others.)

However, I am very curious to know why Schotts is out of favor. His is the first chocolate book I ever bought and although I prefer others to it, I would still like to know why he has slipped in favor.

Edited by Darienne, 15 October 2008 - 06:30 PM.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#11 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:36 PM

Chocolate, Cocoa, and Confectionery by Bernanrd Minifie, which looks at the science behind chocolate.

View Post

Took that one out more than a few times from the library. Lots of good information there about chocolate in general, but not for small batch chocolate making.

I've got a series of books form the FACHSCHULE RICHMOND, in Luzern (Lucerne) Switzerland, one of the books is dedicated to chocolate and confections, one to pastries, one to bread, and one solely dedicated to mistakes--that is pictures of the same recipie with descriptions of what went wrong and how to fix it.....

The Richmond chocolates and confections book is a very solid book, written back in the '80's I think. Lots of good information on ingredients (Warenkunde..) basic recipies and how to formulate them, and fairly typical Swiss stuff--heavy on the nuts and cream. Good recipies for butter ganache and caramels.

#12 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,394 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:32 AM

View Post

Took that one out more than a few times from the library. Lots of good information there about chocolate in general, but not for small batch chocolate making.

I've got a series of books form the FACHSCHULE RICHMOND, in Luzern (Lucerne) Switzerland, one of the books is dedicated to chocolate and confections, one to pastries, one to bread, and one solely dedicated to mistakes--that is pictures of the same recipie with descriptions of what went wrong and how to fix it.....

The Richmond chocolates and confections book is a very solid book, written back in the '80's I think. Lots of good information on ingredients (Warenkunde..) basic recipies and how to formulate them, and fairly typical Swiss stuff--heavy on the nuts and cream. Good recipies for butter ganache and caramels.

View Post

Edward - got an ISBN on that book.

#13 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

Which book?

#14 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,394 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:45 AM

Which book?

View Post

Sorry, the Richmond.

#15 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:40 PM

Which book?

View Post

Sorry, the Richmond.

View Post

"Swiss Confiserie,
Pralines
Chocolate specialties
Ices
Buffet articles
Torten decoration"

NO ISBN # in the fly leaf or any oher pages
Printed 1987 by the bakery and Confectionary Craft School, Richemont, Lucerne
3rd edition 1992

Hope this helps

Bought 4 out of the 5 books in this series direct from the school in Luzern waaay back in the early '90's....

#16 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:20 AM

I am ready to buy a new book! I would like recommendations. I thought about Wybauw 2 or Lenotre's 2 books. What do you think? It can be something else as well.
I have:

Greweling
Shotts
Recchuiti
Wybauw fine chocolates 1
Wybauw decoratons
The Chocolate Bible
Elaine Gonzales
The Science of Chocolate
Geerts
Candy making

Thanks!

#17 confiseur

confiseur
  • participating member
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:05 AM

View Post

View Post

agggghhh! i mean, some of the recipes ARE crap... :

Sorry, cannot agree....tastes change but this is a superb book when you consider it was published in 87...obviously for professionals with a lot of prior knowledge as the concept of 'career changer' is unknown to the Swiss.An apprenticeship in Switzerland is minimum 3 years...not a 3 week course at Callebaut or the french pastry school :hmmm: and a stage means working for at least 6 months with a master chocolatier not 2 weeks at the local deli making cookies and caramels..
Perhaps for that reason alone the profession is more highly regarded there than in the US where I have seen the grim work of so many 'chocolatiers' at various shops, farmers markets,delis etc. When I ask them about them about there career they proudly tell me they where previously in marketing,finance,doctor/nurses or in real estate...sorry guys, but with a few honorable exceptions it really shows...

Edited by confiseur, 14 November 2009 - 04:07 AM.

#18 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

I am confused. :huh: Is this in response to alanamoana 2007? Or to my request for a book recommndation or both? Is this a book you are recommending me to get? I don't care if it is old or not updated, if it is good then fine. Waiting for an opinion!
Thanks

#19 confiseur

confiseur
  • participating member
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:52 PM

I am confused. :huh: Is this in response to alanamoana 2007? Or to my request for a book recommndation or both? Is this a book you are recommending me to get? I don't care if it is old or not updated, if it is good then fine. Waiting for an opinion!
Thanks

Lior...
If you read the post I mentioned that this was a superb book...I really fail to see how much more I can recommend it... :wink:

Edited by confiseur, 14 November 2009 - 12:58 PM.

#20 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

Yes of course I read the post - a few times. Just thought in comparison to Lenotre maybe both were as good. I looked it up and found one used copy on Amazon for $90. Does anyone know of another source? I guess the price is not too awful compared to other books.Thanks.

#21 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

Received a new candy cookbook today from Amazon. Field Guide to Candy: How to Identify and Make Virtually Every Candy Imaginable by Anita Chu. Quirk Books: Philadelphia, 2009. Chu also writes a blog, Desserts First.

I haven't made anything from the book yet, and although I don't really care for the physical format...the book is thick, only 4 1/2" by 6", with rounded corners...sort of like a child's toy book, it certainly seems jam-packed with every candy you have every heard of and lots that you haven't. I opened the book randomly and found a Chinese milk candy recipe which I shall certainly try soon.

One thing I love about the book is that not only does Chu provide a thorough description of each candy, she also provides a history, :wub: serving suggestions and extra notes...my kind of cookbook. I just LOVE all those extra interesting bits and bobs.

Very inexpensive and it would fit right into a Christmas stocking. I'll report back after I have made something.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#22 della206

della206
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:50 PM

I like the Hershey's 1934 Cookbook. I got this in the seventies and it is supposedly a reprint of an old Hershey's cookbook. I don't make candy, but there are a couple of good pudding recipes in there--a chocolate bread pudding with meringue that I make a lot and of course cornstarch pudding.

Actually I do make candy, but only Carnation 5-minute fudge. Real candymaking is too intimidating for me.

#23 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:27 AM

Received a new candy cookbook today from Amazon. Field Guide to Candy: How to Identify and Make Virtually Every Candy Imaginable by Anita Chu. Quirk Books: Philadelphia, 2009. Chu also writes a blog, Desserts First.

I haven't made anything from the book yet, and although I don't really care for the physical format...the book is thick, only 4 1/2" by 6", with rounded corners...sort of like a child's toy book, it certainly seems jam-packed with every candy you have every heard of and lots that you haven't. I opened the book randomly and found a Chinese milk candy recipe which I shall certainly try soon.

One thing I love about the book is that not only does Chu provide a thorough description of each candy, she also provides a history, :wub: serving suggestions and extra notes...my kind of cookbook. I just LOVE all those extra interesting bits and bobs.

Very inexpensive and it would fit right into a Christmas stocking. I'll report back after I have made something.

I forgot to add yesterday that Anita Chu is PastryGirl on eG
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#24 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:00 AM

Well I ordered the Swiss Confiseur and will get it by mid December. I always get so impatient once it has been ordered!! Thanks for the advice Confiseur! I wish I could have had the training that would never be poo-pooed by even the best!! Oh if I could be young again I would do everything all differently!

#25 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:07 AM

Should make this list more complete by adding a classic on fudge: Lee Edwards Benning, Oh, Fudge 1990.

Add: Peter Greweling Chocolates and Confections at Home, 2010.

Edited by Darienne, 31 January 2010 - 06:10 AM.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#26 Spring

Spring
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

It was my birthday last week and am treating myself to a chocolate book (wild or what?! lol)
I have Greweling and cant decide between Wybauw 1 or 2. I was going to get them both but the third looks interesting and useful so want to get that when it comes out (amazon says october) Im leaning towards 2 because from what Ive read here he uses sorbitol which interests me.
Any advice would be most welcome :)

#27 Honkman

Honkman
  • participating member
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

This seems to be the best thread for my question. My wife and I have experience in cooking and baking (and a large cookbook library) but we never tried to work with chocolate. A lot of books were mentioned in this thread but which one would be the best for beginners to learn the techniques and get the first sets of basic and advanced recipes ?

#28 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

If you're just learning, I would say Greweling's Chocolates and Confections At Home. I really wish I'd had this book when I was first starting. All my questions answered in one convenient place, plus lots of fabulous recipes to play with.

Here's another link to a discussion here @ egullet.

(edited to add links)

Edited by emmalish, 04 December 2010 - 08:38 PM.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#29 dhardy123

dhardy123
  • participating member
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:54 AM

Although it isn't available yet, I am looking forward to Ewald Notter's book "The Art of the Chocolatier"

#30 lapin d'or

lapin d'or
  • participating member
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

oops edited post as I just posted same info as dhardy123. I'm looking forward to the Notter book too.

Edited by lapin d'or, 05 December 2010 - 01:02 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections, Chocolate, Cookbook, Reference