• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger Molasses Cookie

JFLinLA

My favourite gingersnap cookie was posted to rfc many moons ago. It's called Snappy Gingersnaps and it's from one of Emily Luchetti's books. It's not, from what I remember, a soft cakey cookie, but the chew comes more from caramelization of the sugars. At least that's what happened whenever I made them, but I think I usually overbaked them a tad.

Here you go!  Tried and true.  And make sure to notice the Sugar Baby option  :wub: !

Kim

This looks a lot like the recipe I've used with the exception of the Sugar Babies. I add a cup of Ginger Baking Chips from The Ginger People. (Ok, sometimes I add 3/4 of a cup and 1/4 cup of teeny tiny mini-chocolate chips. Because...chocolate and ginger.)

Here you go!  Tried and true.  And make sure to notice the Sugar Baby option  :wub: !

Kim

This looks a lot like the recipe I've used with the exception of the Sugar Babies. I add a cup of Ginger Baking Chips from The Ginger People. (Ok, sometimes I add 3/4 of a cup and 1/4 cup of teeny tiny mini-chocolate chips. Because...chocolate and ginger.)

ooooh! Thanks for that info. I just bookmarked their website to order some of those chips. Ginger is Mr. Kim's very favorite flavor in the world and I'm always looking for ginger recipes - those sound incredible!

• 2 months later...

A few weeks ago a colleague came back from Starbucks with an amazing ginger molasses cookie and the cravings started from there. I just made the recipe I found on-line and it is virtually identical to the two posted above.

Ok we had to eat some warm from the oven, but they didn't stay thick enough AND I added extra flour. Anyone with advice for making these thicker/chewier and a bit more dense. No thwacking took place so that is one option, but rather doubtful of the full effect.

TIA

A few weeks ago a colleague came back from Starbucks with an amazing ginger molasses cookie and the cravings started from there.  I just made the recipe I found on-line and it is virtually identical to the two posted above. 

Ok we had to eat some warm from the oven, but they didn't stay thick enough AND I added extra flour.  Anyone with advice for making these thicker/chewier and a bit more dense.  No thwacking took place so that is one option, but rather doubtful of the full effect.

TIA

Use bread flour??

Or less butter, more eggs.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I made a molasses crinkle cookie forever but I never added the recommended spices. It's a purer molasses flavor which is very satisfying. With all the spices it's just another gingersnap-ish gingerbread type cookie. It's from the original red & white Betty Crocker Picture CookBook. At least I think it is the original like 1950 one because while the page with the date is long gone, my friend has a copy of the second printing and this little gem is re-named as a Gingie cookie in there I believe.

I haven't tried the Starbuck's cookie so I'm flying blind. This one comes out crisp on the outside and chewy chewy chewy on the inside. It can come out almost molten on the inside. They are magic cookies. They are achievable only as written using s-h-o-r-t-e-n-i-n-g. Now with the softer trans fat free sh*t, I don't know if I'll ever get it just right again but...

Molasses Crinkles a la Betty from 1950

See butter doesn't hold up like you want it too. Shortening has been sanitized and is now 'antiseptic'.

I'd do a test and see if they will bake better from a frozen state (to compensate for our loose as a goose fats like our butter with too much water in it and our trans fat free shortenings). Try it chilled as written, and try two from the freezer one in the blob shape one patted down just a bit. See which one comes out best.

And if you do use butter, use it as cold as possible. Cut it into small chunks and cream it with the brown sugar.

The only differences I can see with these two recipes, Elinor's Kilvan's and Betty's is that Betty says bake at 375 instead of 350. Betty says chill the dough first. The baking devil is in the details. Spices are optional, but try it without, I think you'll really like it. These are insanely wonderful cookies. I'm almost positive I baked mine at 350. I used regular all purpose flour. Crispy on the outside molten on the inside magic cookies

Edited because there's always room for improvement.

Edited by K8memphis (log)