• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine with savory chocolate dishes

jende

I think it will also depend on what the "savory" ingredients are. Although I am as willing as anyone to indulge in port and chocolate on rare occasions, I generally steer away from pairing ports, California port-styles and late harvest with sweet desserts, as it's a sugar-sugar overload for me. :wacko:

I like to pair Cali-ports and late harvest reds with nuts and savory cheeses, and conversely I would select a California syrah with soft tannins or a zinfandel with some slight RS to pair with a savory/chocolate dish. (Modern California syrahs have more of a sweet blueberry profile and less smoky character than CdP reds, which in my view isn't generally a good thing--except with chocolate!) Syrahs also exhibit a roast beef/bacon character that pairs well with savory elements.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

This thread http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=98856&st=0 in the Cooking forum got me thinking about pairing wine with chocolate.

I know it's difficult and Port is usually suggested with chocolate desserts, but there must be pairings that work with savory dishes that contain some form of chocolate.

Thoughts?

Most savory dishes use chocolate like a spice.

As such, chocolate often adds a bitterness element as well as a richness.

pairing a wine IMOP requires knowledge of each dish--the protein, the other ingredients and the cooking technique. How much the chocolate flavor is present in the taste of the dish is important--often it is very subtle.

I just believe there are no easy answers or generalizations here as there are with chocolate used in deserts for eg.