• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I just made up that word

Kent Wang

Enhooch: To convert into alcohol. Coined by mbrowley. Ex: I'm going to enhooch these guavas in rum.

Charcutie: An attractive connoisseur of charcuterie. Ex: As I sit at my table slowly enjoying a slice of salami my thoughts turn to whether I will ever find a charcutie with whom I can share my love for cured meats.

Cavies (a like a in cat) -- a term for the spheres when making caviar with all the chemicals. The cavies swam happily in the solution.

Spoofle dust -- a collective term for all the different foodie dusts used to adorn chocolates and cakes etc. Luster dust, pearl dust, pixie dust, petal dust highlight dust etc. The flowers were accented with spoofle dust.

Yours are cooler, Kent.

Sucktomer

I would always consider a sucktomer to be someone you don't want to come back to dine in your restaurant ... :hmmm:

How about:

abdicake: to give up the last piece of cake to someone else. :wink:

aggravistle: the small, inaccessible piece of steak that clings between the teeth and refuses to dislodge despite constant agitation, causing continuous discomfort and extreme annoyance...

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

eagret (n): the feeling of remorse felt instantaneously on realising a free-poured liquid ingredient has been poured too enthusiastically, in a situation where there's no going back.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

ngah-ngah - the sound one makes after they have eaten too much.

"Don't eat until you're ngah-ngah."

I attribute that expression to my mom, who used to say that to us (in Chinese) all the time. I was in my 30s before I realized that there was no such word in Chinese. :blink:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

foostie pronounced FOOstee--the very last part of anything as in the last bite. Not a complete serving. There's just a foostie left. You can have the foostie. My neice called me Aunt Foostie what was that about?

This one, you gotta know me I guess, complik8 :rolleyes::raz: speaks for itself and me

K8 - Foostie, yes pronounced that way, is a dialect word in Scotland meaning 'mouldy' or otherwise 'gone off'. "Och, the bread's gone a' foostie again. Look at that wee stoatir !".

(I expect your niece doesn't know that :smile: ).

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

ngah-ngah - the sound one makes after they have eaten too much. 

"Don't eat until you're ngah-ngah."

I attribute that expression to my mom, who used to say that to us (in Chinese) all the time.  I was in my 30s before I realized that there was no such word in Chinese. :blink:

Nganga means "open the mouth wide" in Malay.

Michael aka "Pan"

Nganga means "open the mouth wide" in Malay.
Nganga also means mouth open wide in Tagalog/Flipino too.

Hmpf. She said that she made the word up--she never professed any knowledge of either Malay or Tagalog. Wherever the source, I like the word anyway.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Scrappitalism: an economic system in which investment in and ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth is made and maintained chiefly by makers of pork breakfast products.

There is also Chappitalism, which right now would be some sort of economic system of not balancing one's checkbook, waking occasionally to money-panic sweats and then willfully forgetting that one's income is woefully lacking for weeks at a time.

a moo point: "It's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo."

I'll have to credit Joey Tribbiani (from Friends) for that expression.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

Fresser, I love Beer Barrel Polke! :laugh:

Coke-a-la for CocaCola from Chef-boy himself in his early single digit years.

(He also said lestrickity for electricity which is not foodie but noteworthy nonethless)

Umm, some people use lestrickity to run their ovens :raz:

There is also Chappitalism, which right now would be some sort of economic system of ...

Chappaqualism is the act of running for President with one's husband providing the political energy and common sense ...

But back to the food ... :hmmm:

bananosecond:

The time elapsed between slipping on a banana peel and hitting the ground ...

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"