• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dr. Brown's Celray Tonic in NJ

jpr54_

ShopRite in West Caldwell carries it pretty much all the time. It's in with the rest of the soda, IIRC.

Also, if you're willing to go to enough bar mitzvahs, I could swear it was out there at one reception, most likely at the Richfield Regency in Verona. I did swipe some from the storage area when I was a lad of 12 on the bar mitzvah circuit. All my Hebrew School classmates went there and I became pretty much an expert on overcooked prime rib thanks to the Regency. -_-

Harold's Deli (Lyndhurst and/or Parsippany) sell Cel-Ray if you absolutely can't find it and want to pay marked-up restaurant prices for a can of soda. All the more excuse to go there and have a sandwich.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Wegman's? There was a long discussion on it on eGullet ...right here :wink:

Yeah, I was part of that mess of a thread and, in my best "Sgt. Friday- just the facts, ma'am" tried to get past the rumors and misinformation and went to the source- Dr. Brown is owned by Canada Dry which in turn is now owned by the huge multinational Cadbury-Schweppes- which is also the Dr. Pepper/7 Up owner.

http://www.cadburyschweppes.com/EN/Brands/

So, with a stable of brands like that, Dr. Brown is way down on their list of priorities (you'll be hard pressed to even find a mention of the brand in all the clicking around you can do there). Basically, any supermarket that carries any of the Dr. Brown sodas CAN order Cel-Ray, but, it's not a big seller, so they tend to drop it. And, in my experience, when a product disappears from the shelves, many retailers are quick to say "We can't get it" or "they don't make it anymore", since that's, well, easier.

As GG says, Wegman's in NJ seems to have the best selection of Dr. Brown's and, in my experience (Manalapan and Princeton stores) they ALWAYS have Cel-Ray in stock in their large Kosher section (tucked into a corner along with other "Ethnic" foods), not in their general soda pop aisles.