• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eastern Iowa Favorites

tidee

i have a couple of favorites i want to mention. please post your favs. there are so many places to eat at, but not every place is as good as you hoped it would be.

the first is 'Martini's Grille' in Burlington, Iowa. the dining room windows on three walls overlook the mississippi river. chef Peter Harman, at least when i am there. walks through the dining room and greets each table. the view is awesome, the food is excellent and the martinis are great. here is contact info:

Martini's Grille

610 North 4th Street

Burlington, IA 52601

Tel: 319.752.6262

http://www.martinisgrille.com/

the other is 'Revelations Cafe' in Fairfield, Iowa. it is a bookstore and cafe, and features gourmet pizzas, soups, and sandwiches made with organic ingredients. here is the contact info for them:

Revelations Cafe

112 North Main

Fairfield, IA 52556

Tel: 641-472-6733

I'll avoid my obvious preference for one local restaurant :wink: , and let you know that Cherf Peter will be opening a new restaurant on the ped Mall in IC soon, where Venuto's was.

But for great eats now, try Redhead in Solon, Lincoln Cafe in Mt Vernon, Cafe Dodici in Washington, and Tuscan Moon in Kalona. Then in IC, I like Oyama, La Reyna, Thai Spice, & Jimmy Jacks for starters, but there are lots more.

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Well, since you mentioned Bettendorf, Red Crow Grille. Also, as mentioned above, Lincoln Cafe in Mount Vernon. There's a thread on it in this forum as well.

Edited to add: My bad. I quickly misread the original post, and took Burlington for Bettendorf. Oh, well. Bettendorf is still eastern Iowa, and Red Crow Grille is still worthy of recommendation.

Edited by Brad Ballinger (log)

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I'll avoid my obvious preference for one local restaurant  :wink:

I don't need to avoid talking about it. :smile: In fact, I'd like to know more.

When I use Google, I find an address that appears to be for a restaurant:

Devotay Inc

www.devotay.com

117 N Linn St

Iowa City, IA 52245

(319) 354-1001

However, when I click on the link, I find a website about online cooking classes. Assuming Devotay is indeed a restaurant at this location, is there a website where I can find more information about it (menus, etc)?

one more for now. right across the river from bettendorf in Rock Island, Ill: Jim's Rib Haven. oh my! fresh in-house hickory smoked ribs, home-made fries, and coleslaw. not the high life, but definitely worth a trip to enjoy.

Jim's Rib Haven

531 - 24th Ave.

Rock Island, IL 61201

Tel: (309) 786-8606

Edited by tidee (log)

• 3 weeks later...
I'll avoid my obvious preference for one local restaurant  :wink:

I don't need to avoid talking about it. :smile: In fact, I'd like to know more.

When I use Google, I find an address that appears to be for a restaurant:

Devotay Inc

www.devotay.com

117 N Linn St

Iowa City, IA 52245

(319) 354-1001

However, when I click on the link, I find a website about online cooking classes. Assuming Devotay is indeed a restaurant at this location, is there a website where I can find more information about it (menus, etc)?

Yeah, I had a nasty little episode last fall where my original domain name was snatched out from under me while I was in Europe and unable to monitor what was going on.

The real (new) address is www.Devotay.NET (not dot com).

There is also another really good Iowa City thread, recently revived, right here..

We're pretty proud of our humble little place (though I hope we get a chance to win Brad back in our door one day :wink: )

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Yeah, I had a nasty little episode last fall where my original domain name was snatched out from under me while I was in Europe and unable to monitor what was going on.

The real (new) address is www.Devotay.NET (not dot com).

There is also another really good Iowa City thread, recently revived, right here..

We're pretty proud of our humble little place (though I hope we get a chance to win Brad back in our door one day  :wink: )

Thanks. I'll try to stop there the next time I'm in Iowa City. (Not that I go there often; I was there last year for the first time in my life. We ate at Linn St. Cafe, and enjoyed it.)

You might want to ask your webmaster to contact Google to correct their records. When I did a search on "Devotay Iowa City" the first item showed your restaurant's correct street address and phone number, but the wrong web address (dot com instead of the new dot net address). I just sent them a note, too.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

And thank you. Yep, Linn Street is right next door, we share a front entrance. In fact, I was the EC there until I left 10 years ago to open Devotay.

As for the website thing, yes, the battle continues with the guy in Austria who snatched it up. We're working with google to fix it.

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com