• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommend a Cookbook for Me...

Jisho

With inspiration from eGullet and others, I have decided that I would like to 'get back into' cooking. I have spent a long time doing the most simple and unimaginative cuisine I could get away with, for the sake of convenience, or I eat out quite a bit. I used to cook a lot more, 5-6 years ago, but simply fell into the busy life rut.

In order for the recommendation to mean something, I'll give you something of a background as to where I am:

I'm a self-trained cook, mostly from growing up engrossed in cooking shows, and reading basic cook books that I come into contact with. I have a diverse palate, and appreciate a wide variety of international foods. However, I have limited exposure to 'haute cuisine', and because I'm not exactly Daddy Warbucks, limited exposure to fine cuisine in general, so when it comes to cooking high-end food, I lack a depth of tasting to compare.

On the other hand, I'm creative and passionate in the kitchen when I take the time to make something. I can take dinners intended to be simple and introduce spice and complexity pretty successfully, as far as my family is concerned. I'm familiar with a great deal of food, with food pairings, and to be honest, often times my creativity exceeds my talent. Sure, it's nice to know you can braise this or that, poach another thing, and sauce it thusly, and it would be tasty, but it's entirely another to execute it yourself. I pay attention to a lot of the science of cooking and spend quite a bit of time researching "why"?

I would like to expand my cooking experience. I would like a book that covers basic methods and techniques, and can help me grow from my current level. I prefer books that offer a good deal of pictoral feedback as well, preferrably pictures but illustrations would be okay. If the book brought some focus on the basic french methods (such as mother sauces, etc) without being entirely devoted to french cuisine, that might be nice, too. Also, I can do more than one book, but would prefer any "starter kit" to be limited to 3-5 books.

Help me, eGullet-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

I think Thomas Keller's Bouchon could fit the bill. The food is based on classic bistro dishes, but the technique is refined enough to introduce some challenges. Each recipe I've tried so far has been fabulous, and the instructions are very clear (sometimes a bit too clear :biggrin:). I highly recommend it.

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

Have you thought about Jaques Pepin's Technique? Or Julie Child's "The Way to Cook?"

One thought is to hit the library and check out a mess of cookbooks and see what strikes your fancy...

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Bouchon, absolutely.

All About Braising by Molly Stevens for braising techniques and wonderful food all around

The Silver Spoon and the Cooks books are fabulous techique books as well.

I happen to like the William Sonoma "Mastering" series as well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I recommend The Cooks Book by Kindersley Dorling.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So many books so little time! An old cookbook that is fabulous for vegetables is The Victory Garden Cookbook by Marian Morash from Asparagus to Zucchini it does it all.Perfect Recipes for Having People Over by Pam Anderson has a nice selection of tasty recipes that also answer questions: when to serve, how to vary, and what about leftovers, and how far ahead can it be made. Many of the recipes can be incorporated into a daily repertoire. A book that has gotten well deserved cudos and one I love is Happy in the Kitchen by Michel Richard. This is a book to experiment with on weekends. There are many different techniques and the recipes are written well.

Don't overlook your local weekly food section to jump start ideas.

Have fun!

Thank everyone for their input. I wavered a little when I hit the book store, because I found a number of the 'text book' books for cooking when I went. They are geared for large portions and are very thorough. In the end, I decided for a more practical, immediate-use cookbook, and did purchase Thomas Keller's Bouchon. With the money I saved not buying the more expensive text book, I also purchased Kevin Zraly's 2007 Complete Wine Course. It was so interesting, I couldn't pass it up.

One of my favorites is How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. Not only does he have great basic recipes, he also evolves them a bit with suggestions for sauces, stuffings, etc. Also has good advice on buying and storing food. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I love The Best New Recipe, by Cook's Illustrated. Just like the magazine, they test and re-test, and tinker with basic favorites until they are as delicious as possible, with a minimum of effort (usually). It also has lots of sections on fundamentals, which is really helpful if you're just starting out, or getting back into cooking. I use my cookbook all time and many pages are splattered with various sauces and condiments...

Edited by Dasha (log)

You might want to check out "Maran Illustrated Cooking Basics," which contains step-by-step photographic visuals for the most essential culinary techniques and for its recipes as well, accompanied by great information.

Check "inside the book" at

www.maran.com/cooking.htm

Edited by FlavoursGal (log)

Although you do not want an French-only focus, I urge you to reconsider Mastering the Art of French Cooking, by Julia Child. Any number of people you have seen on TV learned to cook well by following the recipes in these books. I have made several and can tell you they come out perfectly and you will learn technique as well. The recipes look long because the explanations are so thorough. You will never feel lost. Maybe you can copy some of the recipes from the library and try them.

Bouchon is a must as is Braise. You really cannot go wrong with either and by the way another great one is Happy in the Kitchen. Michel Richard is amazing and the cookbook is on par with Bouchon and French Laundry Cookbook. The techniques Richard uses are just as good.

Another good idea is maybe get a subscription to Gourmet or Food and Wine. I have Food and Wine and use it alot. I go through and do a large number of the recipes out of each issue I get. Sometimes there are some that are a little more involved, but there are plenty there for someone getting back into it, plus the articles are always so interesting.

Edited by kristin_71 (log)

I have recommended La Varenne Pratique by Anne Willan.

The sub title is The Complete Illustrated Cooking Course

techniques, ingredients and tools of classic modern cuisine with more than 2500 full-color photographs.

There are detailed photographs of techniques from boning and trussing fowl to cleaning and dealing with all types of seafood and cutting, boning, shaping all types of meat, including game.

It goes all the way through vegetables, fruits, pastries, cakes and right up to candies and chocolate.

It demystifies many processes that are taken for granted by experienced cooks and bakers so that novice, intermediate or advanced cooks are encouraged to try things that are, to them, exotic ingredients.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Bouchon, a great book, presumes a lot about technique. Someone who's not up to the book's expectation of significant prep (especially knife), cooking, and baking skills might find it frustrating as a text.

Based on what you've written -- an ability to think up interesting food combinations but a lack of strategies for how to follow them through to success -- I'd say that Julia's Way to Cook, Willan's Varenne Practique, or Pepin's Complete Techniques would be the way to go. I'd lean toward the latter, which in the dual edition is crammed with outstanding technical information. It's by my beside as we speak, not because I need to know how to make tomato roses but because of the hundreds of other techniques and methods that I want in my toolkit.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

When I asked, I was told Julia Child's "The French Cook" was the way to go. And it is a classic.

Autoeat serves out a classic:! An old cookbook that is fabulous for vegetables is The Victory Garden Cookbook by Marian Morash from Asparagus to Zucchini it does it all.

And then you have the Time Life series...Good Cooks. That is something to buy.

Also, to maximize your book buying possibilities, I'd consider making your purchases online instead of the bookstore. For the same $40 face value at the bricks and mortar bookstores, I can often buy 2-3 books online...especially if you're willing to buy them used.

Check out Fetch Book to find the best deals online.

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy

All of these are great suggestions!

I have already started my second or third read through Bouchon. There are a number of great recipes, and I have a little bit of skill with knives, and other equipment to make up for what I lack. :)

I have recently made the Macaroni Gratin from the book. The Bechamel/Mornay came out beautifully, and the dish was well received at the office potluck. I was amazed by the complexity of flavor and transformation the sauce took on. I will be trying some desserts from the book, as well as the brined pork, and some of the technique foods in the glossary section. I'm going to eat away at the book in small pieces until I've made simply everything in it.

Edited by Jisho (log)

You can't beat Sweet Miniatures by Flo Brsker for desserts. Her technique is explained thoroughly and she give the "whys" as well as the "hows". There is nothing more fun than to create a miniature dessert that garners glowing reviews from family and friends. I haven't made anything that wasn't enjoyed from her book.

(this was not a paid endoresement) :biggrin::biggrin:

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."