• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary schools in Las Vegas?

Does anyone here have any experience with or other opinions about any of the culinary schools in Las Vegas? I am more interested in a career as a personal or private chef or food writing than restaurant work, if that matters.

I'm moving to Las Vegas so I'm only interested in culinary schools there.

Please advise, thanks!

Jacqueline Passey

Check out my blog! http://jacquelinepassey.blogs.com/

Topics: Blogs & Blogging - Books - Food & Drink - Gambling - Geekiness - Love, Sex, & Attraction - Politics, Economics, & Society - Travel - ... and my life.

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest one is the Le Cordon Bleu/ Las Vegas Culinary Institute... my friend Michelle went there and that's what she does (personal chef)

UNLV has a pretty fair culinary program

There is another one called the Creative Cooking School of Las Vegas, but I don't know much about it

Oh and that national chain of Art Institutes has a culinary school here too

Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

• 1 month later...

jacquelinepassey,

Check out Shaw Guides-Nevada.

UNLV has an excellent program if you are pursuing a B.S. in Culinary Arts Management.

However, since you are only interested in culinary schools, I would recommend that you attend a community college instead of a private culinary school such as CCSN's Culinary Arts-Program.

An alternative to school would be a 3-year apprenticeship program affiliated with the ACF. They are usually done in conjunction with a community college so that you would also earn an A.S. degree in Culinary Arts as well. Also contact the American Culinary Alliance.

Edited by TheUnknownCook (log)

Buttercup: You mock my pain.

Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

-- The Princess Bride

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -- Red Green

• 1 year later...