• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

champagne jelly

filipe

I'm planning on trying some champagne jelly, to use on a future assembled desert.

I'm thinking on mixing agar-agar with sugar and champagne, simply that. Will that work?

On the other hand I wish to achieve a gold sparkling/glittering effect. Does ayone know any edible product/aditive that will create that sort of effect? Something like Christmas glitter...

Edited by filipe (log)

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

I'm planning on trying some champagne jelly, to use on a future assembled desert.

I'm thinking on mixing agar-agar with sugar and champagne, simply that. Will that work?

On the other hand I wish to achieve a gold sparkling/glittering effect. Does ayone know any edible product/aditive that will create that sort of effect? Something like Christmas glitter...

it will work, however remember with agar agar, you have to boil it for it to activate. you might not want the champagne to taste cooked. you'll also end up with a "crunchy" texture with agar.

with gelatin, you barely need to warm it to get it to melt and you can add it to the champagne at room temp, so you won't have to cook it at all. with gelatin you get a more jiggly, melt in the mouth texture than with agar.

so whatever final texture you want will decide what product to use to solidify your champagne. also, when adding the gold leaf, you might need to wait for the (if using gelatin) product to firm up a bit and then stir it into the jelly...that way, it will be suspended instead of just floating to the surface or sinking to the bottom.

Hey Filipe,

Gelatine, a sugar syrup (50/50) and a decent champagne all make it happen, to emulate the Gold flecks in a la Goldschclager " in suspension" you want to chill the mixture over an ice bath to develop a pseudoplasticity, rain in your Gold, and that's it.

there is another way also, in a crushed bed of ice (if for example it's a molded dome) pour in to the perimeter the champagne mixture allow to cool, pour out and create an inner "shell" about 3/4 mm thick, this can then be flecked and the dome can be lined with something else like sliced strawberries and pistachios...incredible presentation!

Good Luck Filipe,

Michael Robert Porru

Thanks everyone :)

Almost all the recipes I've looked at call for pectin, instead of gelatine or agar, but I don't really know why nor wether to find it.

The syrup solution sounds ideal both for using gelatine or agar.

Will one be able to notice the champagne bubbles after mixing it with the syrup+gelatine solution or will they "melt" ?

I have some silver leaf that I've bought in Paris some time ago...I'll use that instead of gold just to look how it works. If the result looks as expected I'll then buy the gold one. The gold flakes are made from crushed gold leaf, right?

Edited by filipe (log)

Filipe A S

Thanks everyone :)

Almost all the recipes I've looked at call for pectin, instead of gelatine or agar, but I don't really know why nor wether to find it.

The syrup solution sounds ideal both for using gelatine or agar.

Will one be able to notice the champagne bubbles after mixing it with the syrup+gelatine solution or will they "melt" ?

I have some silver leaf that I've bought in Paris some time ago...I'll use that instead of gold just to look how it works. If the result looks as expected I'll then buy the gold one. The gold flakes are made from crushed gold leaf, right?

Good Question,

you are right on point about those sugar bubbles and film that usually settle to the top and can just be skimmed off.

otherwise the "gellee" is crystal clear.

Michael Robert Porru

gallery_40488_2237_11207.jpg

I've tried it today

1bottle of champagne (750ml)

100g sugar

6 sheets gelatin

water

I have made a soft syrup (just let the sugar solve and start boiling) where i had solved the gelatine. Then mixed it with the champagne

picture : champagne gelee (with silver sheet in the middle) on a bed of quince jam dusted with cinnamon and milk chocolate

It tastes nice, I've enjoyed the combination of flavours between the champagne and the cinnamon. But I don't think this will be easy to use on pastry items. Although it's sweet, it has a very "winy" flavour...

Any flavour combinations ideias for a pastry?

Edited by filipe (log)

Filipe A S

Cream cheese, strawberries??? Maybe too obvious.

It' s very pretty, Filipe.

Blue cheese corn muffins served with champagne jelly! Just a fill a muffin cavity a third of the way with whatever corn muffin recipe then drop a blob of blue cheese then the rest of the muffin batter. Maybe too ordinary.

I kinda like the wild contrast of a corn muffin to champagne jelly.

Just some ramdom ideas.

Edited to say: wait wait one more idea, My son, during a chef's tasting he treated us to, deep fried some beggar's purses made of phyllo dough filled simply with marscapone and fresh corn off the cob. Wonder how champagne gelee would be with that???

Edited by K8memphis (log)

gallery_40488_2237_11207.jpg

I've tried it today

1bottle of champagne (750ml)

100g sugar

6 sheets gelatin

water

I have made a soft syrup (just let the sugar solve and start boiling) where i had solved the gelatine. Then mixed it with the champagne

picture : champagne gelee (with silver sheet in the middle) on a bed of quince jam dusted with cinnamon and milk chocolate

It tastes nice, I've enjoyed the combination of flavours between the champagne and the cinnamon. But I don't think this will be easy to use on pastry items. Although it's sweet, it has a very "winy" flavour...

Any flavour combinations ideias for a pastry?

well it looks like you have got it...what else would you want to change about it?

Michael

well it looks like you have got it...what else would you want to change about it?

Michael

I guess I don't want to change a thing about the gelee : it tastes fine, easily set up, nice colour...

my question now is about assembling combinations to use it, as it has a really strong champagne flavour - easily goes with savory food, but not that easy with sweet/pastry items

Filipe A S

Layer it on guava paste? The deep red would show thru.

Perhaps put the guava first on a crispy pastry.

You would lose that beautiful champagne color tho.

Im thinking of the cuban turnovers with guava filling.

I think they'd taste good with champagne. Sometimes they

had cream cheese in the filling as well.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Michael

I guess I don't want to change a thing about the gelee : it tastes fine, easily set up, nice colour...

my question now is about assembling combinations to use it, as it has a really strong champagne flavour - easily goes with savory food, but not that easy with sweet/pastry items

wait for dejaq's finished product...i'm sure he'll find a good blend of champagne with citrus that will give you some hints on how to use it for pastry/sweet preparations. :smile:

maybe its just the picture, but it looks like somthing wrapped in alumminum foil.

Also, withe everything flowing to the left it feels like the product is comming off the plate. Once again it might just be the picture.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

• 1 month later...