• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2007 Michelin New York

Fat Guy

These are the results, according to this morning's release from Michelin:

ONE STAR

Annisa

Aureole

A Voce

Babbo

Café Boulud

Café Gray

Country Restaurant

Craft

Cru

Danube

Dévi

Etats-Unis

Fiamma Osteria

Fleur de Sel

Gotham Bar & Grill

Gramercy Tavern

Jewel Bako

Kurumazushi

La Goulue

Lever House

Modern (The)

Oceana

Perry Street

Peter Luger

Picholine

Saul

Spotted Pig

Sushi of Gari

Veritas

Vong

Wallsé

wd~50

TWO STARS

Bouley

Daniel

Del Posto

Masa

THREE STARS

Jean Georges

Le Bernardin

Per Se

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

That's the list as Michelin released it. I assume they left ADNY off because it's just about to close and relocate, and that they'll rate it anew next year.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

ADNY still there no? Don't see it in the list.

Am a little surprised by Devi, as I don't think much of the place. I also see that Sugiyama is still not making the cut.

Yes, Devi is probably the worst restaurant to ever receive a Michelin star. I can only presume ADNY was dropped due to the planned move, but that seems very strange as there is no chef change and they are still open.

Just like last year, this list is mainly just really annoying.

No Yasuda or Sugiyama on the Jap front?

No EMP? (Perhaps the chef change came too late, but still it's better than just about any restaurant on that 1-star list.)

Vong still with 1?

Del Posto with 2?!!!

The Spotted Pig is the worst restaurant to receive a Michelin star.

Surprised it still has one.

overall, although I was a fan of last year's list (it was much more accurate than expected)...this one is disappointing because the outliers from last year have not been corrected....

I don't see how Devi coud be considered a worse restaurant than, say, Saul. Or Etats-Unis.

Why the Saul hating? I see Saul as a prime candidate for a single star. It serves very solid market-driven fare, the service is professional yet friendly, the ingredients are "gourmet" without being overly fussy. I wish some of the one stars I ate in Paris were as good as Saul.

Never been to Etats-Unis, so I can't say that it doesn't deserve the slam.

And for my input, wd~50 should be at two stars - I think the fairly boring room holds them back. The fact that Del Posto has two while Babbo has one adds fuel to that fire.

I don't hate Saul. I do think it's overrated. If it were in Manhattan instead of Brooklyn, I don't think you'd ever hear much about it (and I certainly don't think it would have gotten a Michelin star). I think Devi is special in a way that Saul just isn't.

I don't see how Devi coud be considered a worse restaurant than, say, Saul. Or Etats-Unis.

Why the Saul hating? I see Saul as a prime candidate for a single star. It serves very solid market-driven fare, the service is professional yet friendly, the ingredients are "gourmet" without being overly fussy. I wish some of the one stars I ate in Paris were as good as Saul.

And for my input, wd~50 should be at two stars - I think the fairly boring room holds them back. The fact that Del Posto has two while Babbo has one adds fuel to that fire.

I can't speak for Sneakeater, but my interpretation was not so much a slam on Saul or Etats-Unis, but a defense of Devi.

I am surprised that Del Posto got two stars. I would have like to have seen WD-50 with more as well. Along with the room it may be held back by its informality - two things I very much enjoy about the restaurant.

sorry for the cross-post!

Edited by docsconz (log)

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I can't speak for Sneakeater, but my interpretation was not so much a slam on Saul or Etats-Unis, but a defense of Devi.

Thanks. You said it better than I did anyway.

Does anybody have a sense of what sort of impact the NYC Michelin guide is having? Do local diners use it? Do US visitors to NYC consult it? European visitors? This was discussed last year, I think, but I wonder whether its influence has risen, fallen or stayed about the same.

Just like last year, this list is mainly just really annoying.

No Yasuda or Sugiyama on the Jap front?

No EMP? (Perhaps the chef change came too late, but still it's better than just about any restaurant on that 1-star list.)

Vong still with 1?

Del Posto with 2?!!!

I don't think Michelin knows Japanese; clearly euro-centric.

Jewel Bako and Gari on there with others not?

Does anybody have a sense of what sort of impact the NYC Michelin guide is having? Do local diners use it? Do US visitors to NYC consult it? European visitors? This was discussed last year, I think, but I wonder whether its influence has risen, fallen or stayed about the same.

There's been a lot of discussion about this. I think it has little to no impact on NYers, only with a particular tourist set referring to it. I think it's caused more controversy than anything else, so their little PR plan worked, but clearly there are some blatant omissions and inclusions that fly in the face of the community at large...

you know, even thought I criticize them for not fixing the mistakes of last year....it is still the best single critical list to NY dining ever assembled.

and that's an accomplishment.

EMP is a massive oversight...except that it might be for legitimate timing reasons.

as for Del Posto...some people have had great meals there...who knows? (though 2 stars is hard to defend)

but overall, as with last year, it is still top to bottom, 80% accurate....and there's a lot to be said for that.

Raj,

I don't think they were trying to stir controversy at all.

They'd have to something far more drastic to create real controversy and PR....

Including Saul and not including Yasuda might be controversial to a tiny set of 20 people on egullet....but not to the dining public at large.

(the controversy in SF stems from people completely misunderstanding the Michelin system)

(the controversy in SF stems from people completely misunderstanding the Michelin system)

Actually, the controversy in SF came from inaccurate reviews. After the book came out, it was found in the blurbs that the writers cited restaurant features, staff members and menu items that hadn't been in the restaurants for years--well before the evaluation period was to begin.

Also, it's San Francisco, whose overall attitude tends to be that the rest of the entire world just doesn't "get" how freaking amazing and special everything is out here (believe me, I'm one of them) :)

I don't know any local non-foodies who consult Michelin. Zagat still seems to have a lock here.

OTOH, the reservations guy at Saul was quoted in Eater today as saying that their business jumped after they got their star.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Raj,

I don't think they were trying to stir controversy at all.

They'd have to something far more drastic to create real controversy and PR....

Including Saul and not including Yasuda might be controversial to a tiny set of 20 people on egullet....but not to the dining public at large.

Well, I just think on the whole it's written as an outsider's perspective, with all the NYers here left bickering over the validity of it....

"Actually, the controversy in SF came from inaccurate reviews. After the book came out, it was found in the blurbs that the writers cited restaurant features, staff members and menu items that hadn't been in the restaurants for years--well before the evaluation period was to begin."

a. that was a minor part of the controversy.

b. it turned out that some of the supposed inaccuracies were, in fact, accurate. (some of this rested on misunderstandings of the exact technical role that people affiliated with certain restaurants played...does anyone really want to call out the late R.W. Apple for talking about JG Shanghai as being the best of the JG restaurants in his last article? (technically inaccurate because JG Shanghai is not a JG restaurant but rather a franchise...they paid to use his name (and he trained the opening staff)))

raji: do you have a candidate for a more accurate list?

Zagat? all Times 2, 3 and 4 starred restaurants?, Gayot?

thought not.

in other words, I think it's obvious that the Michelin list is objectively the most accurate of any PUBLISHED list of the best restaurants in NY.

I'm sure everyone of us has a more accurate list in our own minds....though if we actually got together and voted on a list it might not be any more accurate (too many disagreements here...)

Edited by Nathan (log)