• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggless Cake Recipes

NoEggs

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here! I am looking for an eggless cake or cake that uses an egg replacer, such as Ener-G. My son is allergic to eggs, amongst other things, and I really need to find a great cake. It doesn't matter if it is a white or chocolate cake or any other flavor. I just need to find some great recipes! The ones I have tried are a little lacking. Other than the Wacky cake which is pretty tasty.

I am a home baker and not a professional so you may want to keep that in mind. I am also planning on using a Wilton cake pan, if that matters. (does that show just what a novice I am??? :laugh: )

Thanks!!!

Sue

Normally, I'd recommend the Wacky Cake or Crazy Chocolate Cake. But here are two others you might want to check out - they both had good reviews:

Sweet Autumn Pumpkin Cake

http://www.recipezaar.com/140264

Chocolate Walnut Cranberry Cake

http://www.recipezaar.com/118915

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

• 2 weeks later...

Alford & Daguid's Baking at home has a recipe for a banana bread without eggs. I've had better banana breads, but if I couldn't eat eggs, this would be on my to do list. It uses about 3 cups of very ripe bananas as the liquid and yileds 2 loaves.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I've been experimenting with some eggless cakes recently and found a neat trick online.

You can substitute ground flax seeds made into a paste for your eggs -- obviously not for any sort of rise, but the richness of the flax (oil?) really makes for a good cake.

The ratio that I was working with was something like 1 Tablespoon ground flax with just enough water to make a thick paste equals one egg. I did the whole thing in the blender and then added to my batter. Seriously, it was not bad at all. (And I was working off of a basic butter cake recipe.)

Maybe someone with more expertise could explain what it is about flax seeds that makes a good egg replacement? An added bonus, flax seeds are great for you!

Good Luck!