• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adria Cooking in NYC

Sneakeater

Probably everybody knew about this but me:

http://nymag.com/daily/food/2006/10/greate...make_bes_1.html

I'm going to be away this weekend, but I'm sure someone here will go.

(Who are the other nine chefs? If one of them is Arzak, we may be approaching self-immolation territory at my end of this computer connection.)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

The List

(with stupid promotional addenda from the promotor)

Ferran Adrià: Spain’s Culinary Wizard

Juan Mari Arzak: New Basque Cuisine

Martín Berasategui: The Art of Learning, The Virtue of Teaching

Alberto Chicote: Fusión by Principle

Paco Roncero: Ambassador in Madrid of the Genius of Roses

Quique Dacosta: Unlimited Cuisine

Daniel García: Andalusian Talent

Enrique Martínez: From the Kitchen Garden, A Vegetable Purist

Joan Roca: Discoverer of Extraordinary Techniques

Paco Torreblanca: Pioneer and Maestro of the Sweetest Art

(Fuck. It's been nice knowing you all.)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

It ain't cheap......"The $300 ticket buys breakfast and lunch, plus tastings at a makeshift Spanish marketplace; add $75 for an optional wine seminar or two"......for that kind of cash, I want a multicourse sit down and Penelope Cruz by my side. :cool:

That wasn't chicken

Interesting.. I got this email "Members $750 ($450 is a tax-deductible charitable donation)

General Public $1,000 ($700 is a tax-deductible charitable donation)

RESERVE NOW

To make reservations by phone, please call 212.675.4984 x1.

Don’t miss this incredible VIP opportunity:

We’re offering three groups of 8 people the chance to share this incredible meal at a table with one of the masters of Spanish cuisine: Ferran Adrià, Juan Mari Arzak, or Martín Berasategui. Each VIP guest will also receive a special gift.

The cost of this extraordinary experience?

$35,000–$50,000 for each group of 8 ($32,000–$47,000 is a tax-deductible charitable donation).

For more information about this event or to purchase VIP tables, please contact Julie Pfeiffer at 212.633.9145.

Festive attire."

So i guess Beard House is adding on an extra $450.. Geeze..

Edited by Daniel (log)

f______!

I will be out of town most of the day on Saturday...

granted I don't think they're cooking that breakfast and lunch....and the $1000 is too dear for me....but it's still very tempting...my credit card is very very fortunate that I won't be here that morning/afternoon.

Actually, there are 2 separate events. There is the dinner at the Beard house on Thursday evening for $750/$1000 and there is the all-day demo at Gustavino's on Saturday for $300.

Is anyone here attending the Saturday event?

I will be there... I know of a good number of guys that will attend. Going back to the Arzak/Adria point. Each chef will be doing demonstrations, so my guess is that they will indeed cook something. More likely they will be describing how some of their dishes are assembled, while their staff puts it together.

Arley Sasson

I will be there... I know of a good number of guys that will attend. Going back to the Arzak/Adria point. Each chef will be doing demonstrations, so my guess is that they will indeed cook something. More likely they will be describing how some of their dishes are assembled, while their staff puts it together.

They will also be using some NY people to help them put things together. Paul Liebrandt, for example, will be working with Paco Roncero for at least one night.

It should be a fabulous event(s). I wish I could be there, but unfortunately, my schedule didn't allow it. :sad:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It is interesting to note that Adria was not cooking at last night's Beard dinner - he was hosting. But the schedule does say Demonstration by Adria tomorrow.

I don't know if it's too late to bid (and I'm sure you'd need to have deep pockets) but I thought someone here might be interested in this auction item.

http://www.jamesbeard.org/events/other/200...ion_stage.shtml

Summary of the package details:

* A week-long internship at Ferran Adrià’s El Bulli in Cala Montjoi, Girona.

* A week-long internship at Juan Mari Arzak’s Restaurante Arzak in Donostia-San Sebastián.

* A week-long internship at Martín Berasategui’s Restaurante Martín Berasategui in Lasarte-Oria, San Sebastián.

* One week of intensive Spanish lessons courtesy of the Foundation for the Spanish Language in Valladolid, the capital of Castilla y León.

* A James Beard Foundation logo–engraved Wüsthof-Trident Culinar seven-piece Profile Block Set featuring a 2 ¾-inch bird's beak peeling knife, 3 ½-inch paring knife, 5-inch boning knife, 8-inch bread knife, 8-inch carving knife, 8-inch cook's knife, and the profile block.

* A custom-tailored chef’s jacket by Chef86 in the designer fabric of your choice.

If you're unable to attend the event but would like to bid on one of these auction packages, please contact Yvon Moller at 212.627.2090 or ymoller@jamesbeard.org.

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

Also wanted to add that if you see me tomorrow, please say hi! I added my picture to my profile. Don't know if you'll be able to recognize me as the pics a little small, but I'd love to meet fellow egulleters.

Edited by Nina C. (log)

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway