• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gyu-Kaku

Daniel

Going here tonight with a group of 10.. Has anyone been here? Can anyone suggest there favorite thing.. I was told by the hostess that they can sit us in the back at two tables, is the seating going to be ok..

Thanks.

I went there for my birthday 2 years ago. Not because it's great Yakiniku but because it's one of the only Yakiniku in NYC. I'm pretty sure I wrote about it elsewhere... lemme find it. Living in Japan i'd eat yakiniku every 2 weeks...

ok here I found it

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...4entry1243074

I'd say what's good there is the cheap draft beer, and their special marinades for kalbi and harami. Harami. You've got to get lots of harami. Sometimes they go really chincy on the cuts tho....

I'm trying to edge out Todd36 as resident Japanese food snob... I don't have his funds tho

definitely get-

gyu-tan

rosu kalbi and kalbi, harami, all tare of course

ribeye

I love grilling the vegetables too - aspara, garlic butter mushrooms, enoki, shishito, etc.

and of course reimen (cold noodles in beef broth) to end, but it's not all that great there

I'm trying to edge out Todd36 as resident Japanese food snob... I don't have his funds tho

definitely get-

gyu-tan

rosu kalbi and kalbi, harami, all tare of course

ribeye

I love grilling the vegetables too - aspara, garlic butter mushrooms, enoki, shishito, etc.

and of course reimen (cold noodles in beef broth) to end, but it's not all that great there

It's not a bad place.

It's not a question of how much I have in the way of funds, its more how I chose to spend my funds. Tonight, it was on a fund raiser.

I do admit that I work at a bank.

Went there last night and it was almost a complete mess.. I had a table of 10 booked and confirmed about 5 times..

Basically, they decided they were not going to seat us.. They kept us at the bar for over 2.5 hours.. We had a firm 845 reservation and we did not sit until 11 something..

On a different note, they were keeping us at the bar and giving us free drinks until we sat... The 10 of us drank 2 big bottles of sake and close to 12 pitchers of beer while waiting and easily another 7 during dinner..

I could not believe they intentionally did not seat us.. Letting other parties of 10 and more sit before us.. They gave us free apps, free drinks, and free desserts.. We were all wrecked and what I thought what was going to be a quick bday dinner turned into a 7 hour night... It was alright though, you wont hear too many complaints from this crew with a free bar..

On a food note, the place was average.. We ordered most of what was on the menu.. I really liked the pork and tongue dishes the best...(Raji, I stopped ordering for the table early and completely forgot the harami..) I was surprised at the poor quality of the scallops..The smores and banana with ice cream and melted chocolate sauce were fun desserts...

Edited by Daniel (log)

Basically, the manager lied to me over the phone on three occasions.. In truth, the table he reserved for us, was the same table that a party of 12 had for 8:15... I called too many times for it to be a mistake.. He admitted over booking to me.. We drank 17 pitchers at 35 bucks a pitcher with free appetizers.. I thought it was handled poorly because he took too long to be honest, but we ended up having such a good time, I'm over it..

Edited by Daniel (log)

We were drinking pitchers of Saporro.. Which is 8 dollars a mug and 4 mugs to a pitcher.. They dont normally sell Pitchers of Sapporo so I was just adding the value in the most positive light :biggrin: Either way, I was drinking enough to still be a little hazy on the particulars.. Kirin is 15 bucks..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Well, free yakiniku appetizers, desserts AND drinks.... I'll eat standing up for that -

That sucks though, being your birthday and all... I'm wary of stuff like that going down on Friday nights, with the huge B&T influx a lot of places take a shit... Gyu-kaku attracts a young clientele and a young staff too, so that probably didn't help.

About the scallops, I didn't mention any seafood, did I! Gyu-kaku has fish and shellfish on their menu, I think they feel obliged to because people expect that at a Japanese joint, but usually yakiniku sticks to meat only.

And Daniel, next time switch to Ichiko!!

Well, free yakiniku appetizers, desserts AND drinks.... I'll eat standing up for that -

That sucks though, being your birthday and all... I'm wary of stuff like that going down on Friday nights, with the huge B&T influx a lot of places take a shit... Gyu-kaku attracts a young clientele and a young staff too, so that probably didn't help.

About the scallops, I didn't mention any seafood, did I! Gyu-kaku has fish and shellfish on their menu, I think they feel obliged to because people expect that at a Japanese joint, but usually yakiniku sticks to meat only.

And Daniel, next time switch to Ichiko!!

I think Gyu-Kaku and Yaki Niku Ju Ju are known for meat and not seafood. The birthday drinks on the house definitely made up for the lies....

Leave the gun, take the canoli