• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rim Café

MarketStEl

Yesterday, as I was heading back up from the Ak-a-me, I got a sneak preview of a charming little French coffeehouse that will open soon just up from Cheesesteak Corner.

It's called Rim Café--a little piece of the Riviera at the tip of the not-all-that-Italian-anymore Market.

The owner, a fellow named René, has transformed the former Middle Eastern grocery at the northwest corner of 9th and Wharton into a warm and surprisingly comfortable space, with plants and bric-a-brac in the windows and lots of his own photo posters of the Riviera all over the place.

René--a native of the Riviera--has been in the States for about 8 months (his wife is American). I didn't ask whether he opened this place out of homesickness or not, but it does seem that he is genuinely interested in sharing a taste of the Cote d'Azur with Philadelphia.

For my trouble--and my obvious curiosity, as I was definitely scoping the place with the "Opening Soon!" sign outside the open door--I got a demitasse of really good French roast espresso, which he also offered to some passersby as we talked, and a chance to scrape the barnacles off the French I learned in high school.

He will be using (what else?) La Colombe coffee in his shop, which will start out with coffee, cold beverages and pastries. He plans to expand his menu quickly to include sandwiches on genuine French bread. It looks like he also might show films from time to time--there was a DVD of a French film ready to play on the big-screen TV behind the coffee bar.

This place shows a lot of promise, and René is a very charming fellow. If you're in the area and the door's open, poke your head in and tell René I sent you.

Rim Café

9th and Wharton streets

Phone number not yet known

René plans to operate 24/7 once he opens

Nearest SEPTA service: Bus Route 47 southbound to 8th and Wharton (walk one block west) or Bus Route 47M northbound to 9th and Wharton (it's right on the corner).

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

So this obviously means that the Middle Eastern grocer is no more? Pity - they had some items in there that Bitar's around the corner didn't have.

I'll look forward to checking this place out soon. Thanks for the report, Sandy.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped in this afternoon and can confirm that Rene is indeed a heckuva nice guy. I drank a cappucino and chatted with him; since it's still not open ("a week or two") he wouldn't take my money.

He said that he plans to bring in partially baked croissants, baguettes, etc., from France and finish baking them in-house, so that they'll be hot all day long.

Seems like a good addition to the Italo-Viet-Chinese-Franco-Arab-Mexican Market area...

Yesterday, as I was heading back up from the Ak-a-me, I got a sneak preview of a charming little French coffeehouse that will open soon just up from Cheesesteak Corner.

The owner, a fellow named René, has transformed the former Middle Eastern grocery at the northwest corner of 9th and Wharton into a warm and surprisingly comfortable space, with plants and bric-a-brac in the windows and lots of his own photo posters of the Riviera all over the place.

I was on that corner a few days ago and I looked for this place, but didn't see it. The northwest corner of 9th and Wharton is actually occupied by Pat's, is it on a different intersection?

Oops!

I guess Federal Street disappears on my mental map of that stretch of 9th.

Ellsworth, Federal, Wharton, Reed...Ellsworth, Federal, Wharton, Reed...

Anyway, it's there, right where Andrew told you it was. Modify my SEPTA directions accordingly.

Edited because I skipped right over Federal Street again when I posted this.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Oops!

I guess Federal Street disappears on my mental map of that stretch of 9th.

Ellsworth, Federal, Wharton, Reed...Ellsworth, Federal, Wharton, Reed...

Anyway, it's there, right where Andrew told you it was.  Modify my SEPTA directions accordingly.

Edited because I skipped right over Federal Street again when I posted this.

Following myself up because I just noticed something that might explain this.

The streets between Washington and Oregon avenues are named for Pennsylvania governors, IIRC. What's Federal Street doing in this sequence anyway?

• 3 months later...

So... let's say your mouth was still tingling a bit from some hot peppers from a nearby taqueria... seems like the only reasonable thing to do would be to get a hot chocolate at Rim Café.

Maybe a hot white chocolate.

gallery_23992_3894_37874.jpg

or dark chocolate...

gallery_23992_3894_135814.jpg

You'll find it hard to resist a little two-bite eclair, or similarly diminutive filled-to-order cannoli.

gallery_23992_3894_89110.jpg

OK, neither of the hot chocolates is quite as outrageous as those up at Naked Chocolate Cafe, but they're still pretty darn good. And the desserts may not be worth a special trip, but they too are tasty, and really hit the spot for us. The owner is super-nice, the vibe is cool, so if you're in the neighborhood, drop by, you won't regret it.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I looked all over for this thread and couldn't find it! Thanks Phil!

This lovely little cafe deserves all of our business. The owner is quite charming, the vibe is very neighborhood-ey, and the hot chocolates are delicious! The hot white chocolate was a bit less viscous than the thinned-pudding texture of the darker version, but was very subtle and tasty. The dark was just overwhelmingly thick and chocolatey. And I mean that in a good way. The mini pastries are perfect for that I-just-want-two-bites after dinner sweet.

Loking over the bill of fare there's a fairly extensive selection of teas, coffee and all its permutations, both domestic and imported sodas, chai, chai latte, etc. There are pastries and croissant sandwiches too. Cute little place! I'll certainly be back.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Anyone try their espresso or coffee?

Do they know espresso or is it just a menu item?

I'm still looking for a good shot in philly.

I've had a shot of their espresso, and it's not too shabby--potent but not overwhelming. I'd say the folks here know their coffee drinks.

I'd also say that the comments of the posters so far on this thread are accurate: the food and beverages here are very good and well made, among the better in town, and when you combine this with the homey, comfy ambience and friendliness of the owner and staff, you have a winner.

BTW, it was René's original intent to serve hot sandwiches as well, and for a brief while, he had a selection of them on the menu. That was before he found out that you needed a different sort of permit from L&I than the one he had in order to offer hot foods. At last report, he is in the process of jumping through the requisite hoops. Stay tuned.

Anyone try their espresso or coffee?

Do they know espresso or is it just a menu item?

I'm still looking for a good shot in philly.

I've had a shot of their espresso, and it's not too shabby--potent but not overwhelming. I'd say the folks here know their coffee drinks.

I'd also say that the comments of the posters so far on this thread are accurate: the food and beverages here are very good and well made, among the better in town, and when you combine this with the homey, comfy ambience and friendliness of the owner and staff, you have a winner.

BTW, it was René's original intent to serve hot sandwiches as well, and for a brief while, he had a selection of them on the menu. That was before he found out that you needed a different sort of permit from L&I than the one he had in order to offer hot foods. At last report, he is in the process of jumping through the requisite hoops. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the reply Sandy.

I'll check them out next visit.

Did you hear a grinder whirring right before you heard the shot being pulled?

If business was slow did you hear two gushes through the espresso machine?

Was it served in a paper cup?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Looks like they have real china and they're selling La Colombe beans and have the requisite La Spezzia (?) rental machine that La Colombe provides, so I'm guessing that's what they're serving. FWIW, there were certainly enough coffee cups out on the few tables for me to believe that the clientele is drinking whatever they're serving, and the owner seems to know his stuff.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Did you hear a grinder whirring right before you heard the shot being pulled?

Nope. But I believe they do grind their beans fresh for each cup or pot--there is a grinder next to the coffee and espresso machines.

If business was slow did you hear two gushes through the espresso machine?

Yep.

Was it served in a paper cup?

Most assuredly not.

Too late to edit my post immediately above, so let me confirm my impressions based on a double shot I had Sunday morning:

They do not grind their beans with each and every cup, but grind small batches. There is indeed a grinder next to the espresso machine. I suspect you could ask Rene or whoever's working the counter to grind your beans then and there.

The double shot had a nice caramel-colored head of foam on it--Rene took special pride in pulling a shot that was extra creamy.

And the coffee had just the right strong flavor and left me with exactly the buzz I was looking for.

$2.25 for the double shot. A really good deal, if you ask me.

• 7 months later...

Bumping this thread back up to congratulate Rene and his crew for their "Best of Philly" award -- for their hot chocolate, which I will now have to try. When things cool down, of course. Until then, it's iced coffee for me at Rim; I hear their French iced coffee is excellent.

Bumping this thread back up to congratulate Rene and his crew for their "Best of Philly" award -- for their hot chocolate, which I will now have to try.  When things cool down, of course.  Until then, it's iced coffee for me at Rim; I hear their French iced coffee is excellent.

Interesting they got best hot chocolate considering the publicity that Naked Chocolate is getting.. anyone done a taste comparison?

Interesting they got best hot chocolate considering the publicity that Naked Chocolate is getting.. anyone done a taste comparison?

We'll have to synchronize someone at each location, order a hot chocolate from each to go, and race to some midway point for comparison. What say ye?

When it cools off I think this would be a worthy exercise for an afternoon. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

This just in: Bad news, and maybe good news, about Rim Café:

René must return to France for an indefinite period for family reasons and has put the shop up for rent -- more or less.

The truth is that Rene does not want to sell the business -- he would rather keep it going in the hands of someone who can understand the distinctive personality and character of the place. While it will be impossible to duplicate René, surely there is someone around here who can operate Rim in the same warm and expansive spirit he did.

One of his employees, a fellow named Giovanni, is actively working on ways to keep Rim alive and vibrant. For the time being, the cafe will be open from 3 p.m. to midnight. I plan on doing my Saturday grocery shopping on the late side this week so I can stop in. Care to join me for a cup of coffee or a Volcano? If you can't, go when you can -- I'm sure they will appreciate your continued patronage.

There's more discussion of this development on Phillyblog.