• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hansen's Sno Bliz

Jason Perlow

Hansen's Sno-Bliz. No other Sno Ball stand attracts such a loyal and dedicated following. It's my understanding that when the store is in full swing during the summer months, the line goes down the block.

Rachel and I had the privlege of being at Hansens on its opening day of the season. Honorable Judge Gerry Hansen, the son of Ernest Hansen, the inventor of the patented Sno Bliz machine, which makes shaved ice like no other machine in any other Sno Ball store, was there to serve us Sno Balls himself.

gallery_2_0_46007.jpg

The Hansen's Sno-Bliz storefront, open for business, first day of the season, at around 5:30PM, with nobody lined up in front of the store -- an EXTREMELY rare occurance.

gallery_2_0_52310.jpg

The Honorable Judge Gerry Hansen and Friends.

gallery_2_0_89686.jpg

gallery_2_0_903.jpg

gallery_2_0_72068.jpg

Hon. Judge Gerry Hansen demonstrating the unique physical qualities of Sno-Bliz Snow.

gallery_2_0_75255.jpg

One of the two unique Sno-Bliz machines, which were invented and patented in the early 1930's. The design was never licensed out.

gallery_2_0_50813.jpg

The Sno-Bliz flavor list. Sno-Bliz flavors are formulated by the Hansen family, and are a closely guarded secret.

gallery_2_0_57626.jpg

A Sno-Bliz cup being filled. Hansen's produces a new Sno-Bliz cup every year to commemorate its many years of continuous operations. The 2005 cup has not yet been produced, due to the severity of Mr. Ernest's and Mrs. Mary's current health situation. Hansen's opened very late this year -- typically, the store opens in March.

gallery_2_0_49091.jpg

gallery_2_0_31491.jpg

Nector Cream and Cream of Chocolate combo, one of Hon. Judge Gerry's favorites. I have to say that this was the best Sno Ball I had all week -- the Hansens special flavors really do make a difference.

gallery_2_0_17932.jpg

Happy Customers

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Wow! I'm thrilled to learn that Hansen's is still around. I lived in New Orelans (attended Tulane U.) from 1981-1983 and we used to hit Hansen's quite a bit. Since those days, I've still never encountered anything else like it anywhere. I'll be in New Orleans in July and now I cannot wait to get back there -- and take my cohorts with me. They are going to flip.

Thanks, Jason! You made my night :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

There's an interesting mini-essay on Sno Balls on Gumbopages.com:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/dessert/sno-balls.html

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 1 month later...

I tried to hit Hansen's yesterday but unfortunately it was closed when we visited at around 2:30 pm. We did end up grabbing some snowballs at Tee Eva's but they (specifically their flavors) weren't even close to what I remember them being at Hansen's.

Oh well, there's always next time. :sad:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ernest Hansen, inventor of the Snoball Machine, passed away earlier this month:

http://www.nola.com/archives/t-p/index.ssf...1600.xml&coll=1

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Ashley Hansen, the SnoBliz Maiden, is back at it again. She did a soft opening for friends and family yesterday afternoon.

Life's good again at Hansen's Sno Bliz on Tchoupitoulas St.

An almond creme with condensed milk on top hit the spot. Today, well, I think it will be tart for me, lemon perhaps, but, no matter what I decide, it's all good.

Ain't nothing like 'em nowhere!

Edited by Mayhaw Man (log)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 2 weeks later...
does anyone happen to know hansen's hours?  I drove by about 5 tonight and they were closed, but they have 1-7 painted on the outside of the building.

You went by on Tuesday, right? I think she's normally closed on Tuesday. If I remember right, last year Hansen's was open from Thursday to Saturday (or maybe Sunday?). I think she is opening on Wednesday this year.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

does anyone happen to know hansen's hours?  I drove by about 5 tonight and they were closed, but they have 1-7 painted on the outside of the building.

You went by on Tuesday, right? I think she's normally closed on Tuesday. If I remember right, last year Hansen's was open from Thursday to Saturday (or maybe Sunday?). I think she is opening on Wednesday this year.

Thanks. I'll give it another shot.