• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Children's B-day Treats - Gluten-free, Peanut-free

lannie

Thanks for the suggestions and link. Not sure if the kids would like coconut, but may make the macaroons for myself! :biggrin:

I would like to try to make flourless chocolate cupcakes, but am wondering if I need to get special gluten-free chocolate, baking powder, vanilla etc. For example, I looked at recipes on a Celiac web site and some ask for "gluten-free" chocolate while others just say chocolate.

Regular Rice Krispie treats are not gluten free - Rice Krispies have barley malt flavoring which contains gluten, however, many of the more 'natural' cereals do not have barley malt flavoring and work fine for making rice crispie treats. You can add M&M's if you want the rice krispie treats to be a bit more exciting.

Most cookie recipes convert well to gluten free cooking - so you could buy a gluten free flour mix (make sure it contains xanthan or guar gum) and use it in a recipe that you already know and love and it would most likely turn out fine.

If you are interested in a bit more adventurous gluten/peanut free cooking, I have white cake and chocolate cake recipes that turn out well - for what it's worth, gluten free stuff often turns out better as cupcakes than as whole cakes, but we all know kids love cupcakes.

I have loads of gluten free recipes (not tested on kids, though - my husband is the gluten free one) so if there's something you would like to make, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

Also, I have not come across any gluten-containing baking powders, plain chocolate, or vanilla - these things are often specified in recipes, but you should be OK with what you have (asuming you don't regularly mix wheat flour in with these ingredients). You can always look for the new "contains wheat" statement in the allergy ifnormation, I would be shocked if any of these products contained barley or rye.

Edited by SMW (log)

I have loads of gluten free recipes (not tested on kids, though - my husband is the gluten free one) so if there's something you would like to make, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

Also, I have not come across any gluten-containing baking powders, plain chocolate, or vanilla - these things are often specified in recipes, but you should be OK with what you have (asuming you don't regularly mix wheat flour in with these ingredients).  You can always look for the new "contains wheat" statement in the allergy ifnormation, I would be shocked if any of these products contained barley or rye.

Thanks for the info and recipe offer. I'd be interested in a white cake recipe (to be turned into cupcakes) and any ideas you might have for an appropriate icing.

BTW, I checked out a bottle of TJ's vanilla that I had in the cupboard and it states that it is processed in a plant that also deals with wheat, etc. Another bottle of vanilla I got from Costco stated "Gluten-free" on the label.

If you are interested in a bit more adventurous gluten/peanut free cooking, I have white cake and chocolate cake recipes that turn out well - for what it's worth, gluten free stuff often turns out better as cupcakes than as whole cakes, but we all know kids love cupcakes.

please do post the white cake recipe, I have a couple Gluten-free friends and would love to make a traditional white cake for them!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

People vary in their tolerance of the "processed in a facility ..." products. We have chosen to eat these products, and that seems to be what most people do. However, some people have reported reactions to these products and some companies are known to have greater issues with contamination, so it's something to consider - you can always ask the person for whom you are cooking, although I'd bet if they are willing to eat your cooking, they also eat some of these products.

I added the white cake recipe to RecipeGullet, Disclaimer: it is not a true white cake in that it contains egg yolks, but I think that they are probably essential for the cake to turn out with a good texture, and it looks like a white cake more than a yellow cake. I don't know how to link it - it's under Gluten Free White Cake.

We had this for our wedding cake !!! (I once made this recipe and it was the absolute best cake I ever made, and up there with the best I have ever tasted, unfortunately it was fairly early in my gluten free baking and so I didn't realize that I needed to pay attention to exactly what I did. So, sometimes I play around with the mixing instructions to see if I can recreate that becaue I know that time I did something unusual in the mixing, and I remember worrying that the cake would not turn out.) In any case, it has always turned out well.