• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sugar-free sorbet

sagestrat

We had dinner last week at a friend's (in Switzerland, no less). She served three sugar-free (well, no added sugar) sorbets: mandarin, lychee, and melon. Any thoughts on how this was done? I assume juicing (vs. pureeing) and freezing?

That would probably work. However, there was no added sweetener at all. It was really very refreshing.

Well, you don't need sweetener for the freezing process. The flavor would then depend on the natural sweetness of the fruit.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Well, you don't need sweetener for the freezing process. The flavor would then depend on the natural sweetness of the fruit.

Technically you don't need any sugars, but it will freeze rock hard. If there's really no sugars of any type added, then there has to be something else in there with thermogenic properties keeping in soft...

I suppose it could be stabilized with gelatin and or guar/xantham gum and then kept at a very high service temp like 20 degrees. You'd need a dedicated service freezer for something like that.