• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Grand Vefour on Sopranos?

vinobiondo

Great, soon it'll be just like a certain brasserie in the Galerie Vivienne features in a Jack Nicholson comedy..

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Great, soon it'll be just like a certain brasserie in the Galerie Vivienne features in a Jack Nicholson comedy..

I actually thought it was pretty cool. For an episode in which Carmela is repeatedly reflecting on all the history in Paris, it was pretty neat that they actually went to such an historic place to shoot that scene without even stating the historical significance of the restaurant (or mentioning the restaurant at all -- I just recognized the interior).

Edited by vinobiondo (log)

The problem is that people WILL find out, and eventually the place will have small crowds of backpacking, hawaiin shirt wearing tourists all gawking and taking pictures all day long...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

When Carmela asked Tony if she could go to Paris, I knew there would be some good Paris footage.

I had some interruptions, but managed to catch them in the Cluny Museum and then in Le Grand Vefour. I was happy to see this for selfish reasons...I don't live in Paris so most of the time the city exists only in my mind...so , I'm always happy to see images of the city...especially of the famous privileged interiors...although I'll bet 'fresh_a' is correct...it will now become a pilgrimage spot...I think this may be the only 3-star restaurant into which you can peer from the sidewalk...

The problem is that people WILL find out, and eventually the place will have small crowds of backpacking, hawaiin shirt wearing tourists all gawking and taking pictures all day long...

Fortunately, it was a very minor scene...

Does it matter? The tourists can have it, as far as I'm concerned. They can take Tour d'Argent while they're at it.

No wait...they already have. :raz:

Yeah well Kong is cool cause they probably need all the business they can get !

blog

I went googling to see what restaurant they ate at; should have known I'd turn up eGullet.

This has actually been a good food year for the Sopranos. Artie may be getting his groove back, having been forced to stew up the rabbit he blasted out of his vegetable garden, using his grandfather's recipe; Tony and Christopher gleefully hijacked an SUV full of Pichon-Lalande (which appears in Tony's cellar in subsequent episodes); Ro and Carmella got to the Grande Vefour...

And the briefly significant Vito, RIP, turns out to have been a former restaurant guy, as reported in The New York Observer.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I just finally watched this episode last night (having opted for Ludo v. Mario on Sunday) and having been in Paris only a few times, did not recognize the restaurant but did appreciate the selection of a classic, which fit perfectly with the way Carm was presented as truly appreciating the city for its real charms (and not falling into the touristy, shopping cliche). FWIW, I'm not sure it was so prevalent as to send tourists flocking there, but then again I don't know how many people pay $50 to take a bus tour of Teaneck (and environs) every day so maybe I'm just out of touch with the masses.

I was sadly disappointed that Tony didn't proactively protect Vito but it was [unfortunately] more realistic and believable. Maybe Chase figured this was the better way to make a statement?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher