• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sugar cane source in north jersey

tommy

this summer is the summer of the mojito. it's official because i said it.

so, i'll be looking for pieces of sugar cane which can be used as the swizzle stick, just like they do at Havana in midtown NY.

any thoughts on where to find this stuff? if it grew like mint i'd be in business.

i'm not sure how i put this in the wine forum, but the question would no doubt be better served in the NJ forum. perhaps someone who does stuff like that could punch a few keys and make that happen. although i'll check out jollibee and if they have them then it won't matter where this post is.

Edited by tommy (log)

I'll tell you where I have DEFINITELY seen large amounts of sugar cane. Not in Jersey, but not far away either, in the Bronx.

There's these two Dominican brothers that park their white van alongside Webster Avenue, not too far from the highway, that set up a stand with fresh mangos, pineapples, papayas, coconuts, melons, oranges, etc, and make fruit salad, juices and fruit shakes (excellent, by the way) and sell Cane Juice as well. They've got stalks of sugarcane piled up there under their tent they have set up. I was there on Monday, so I know they have been doing it at least recently.

They are there on nice (read, not rainy) days during the week and on weekends. If you are going to do some shopping on Arthur Avenue, head back to the Cross Bronx via Webster and you will see them on the way back. I think they are there until about 7PM.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

this summer is the summer of the mojito. it's official because i said it.

so, i'll be looking for pieces of sugar cane which can be used as the swizzle stick, just like they do at Havana in midtown NY.

any thoughts on where to find this stuff? if it grew like mint i'd be in business.

This is spooky but I could swear we did this before.

I'll tell you where I have DEFINITELY seen large amounts of sugar cane. Not in Jersey, but not far away either, in the Bronx.

There's these two Dominican brothers that park their white van alongside Webster Avenue, not too far from the highway, that set up a stand with fresh mangos, pineapples, papayas, coconuts, melons, oranges, etc, and make fruit salad, juices and fruit shakes (excellent, by the way) and sell Cane Juice as well. They've got stalks of sugarcane piled up there under their tent they have set up. I was there on Monday, so I know they have been doing it at least recently.

They are there on nice (read, not rainy) days during the week and on weekends. If you are going to do some shopping on Arthur Avenue, head back to the Cross Bronx via Webster and you will see them on the way back. I think they are there until about 7PM.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

melissa's packages both the cane and the swizzles. if you don't have a grocery store near you that carries them, you can order over the net:

melissa's sugar cane clickety

they are kinda shrinkwrapped, and will last quite a while, so you might want to order a summer's worth, if you can't find them locally.

i love to use these for shrimp "pops"--make a paste with chopped raw shrimp, chiles, garlic, etc., and form into little lollipops on the sugarcane stick and grill or broil.

now, those would be nice with a mojito!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I have seen them (pre-packaged) at my local Shop-Rite

I've seen them at my Shop-Rite as well (I shop at the one in Wharton). They've always been in the Latin produce area. I'd try Twin Cities supermarket in Elizabeth. That's the only place I can get fresh bitter oranges year round.

Edited by scott123 (log)

Would Corrado's carry it?

I agree about the Latin markets...one of those places in North Bergen probably has it, but I don't know any specifically.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I agree about the Latin markets...one of those places in North Bergen probably has it, but I don't know any specifically.

yeah, great, thanks curlz. i'll drive up and down Bergenline ave in north effing bergen looking for sugar cane. :rolleyes: you're talking to a guy who just got his shaving cream shipment from Amazon.com. between the cross bronx expressway, north bergen, and mail order, you can probably guess which i'm going to opt for. (in fact, i thought the box was the sugar cane and i got all excited, but i just opened it and it's shaving cream. normally i'm very excited to get shaving cream in the mail, but today, with visions of mojitos dancing through my head, not so much)

Tommy:

Your local Vietnamese restaurant might be able to tell you where they get theirs for the ubiquitous Shrimp on Sugar Cane appetizers.

I've seen it at Pathmark before, with the other Latino produce like plantains, boniatos, etc.

Let me know if you want a couple of cool mojito variations.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol