• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with the Stamford CT area

dans

My wife and I will be moving the the Stamford, CT area shortly. We would like to know about the places serious foodies require. Shops that sell gourmet foods. wine shops, etc. Restaurants would be helpful too.

Thanks

Dan

My wife and I will be moving the the Stamford, CT area shortly. We would like to know about the places serious foodies require. Shops that sell gourmet foods. wine shops, etc. Restaurants would be helpful too.

Thanks

Dan

Dan, I grew up in Old Greenwich, but it's been a while since I lived there! Off the top of my head, one recommendation would be to have dinner at Applausi, which is on Sound Beach Avenue in Old Greenwich (on the right as you come into town under the railroad tracks). It's always been consistently solid, and has a nice, casual but elegant atmosphere that I really love.

Also great in O.G. (for a grease fix) is Garden Catering - the high school special (with seasoning and barbecue sauce) is an old guilty pleasure of mine.

Le Figaro on Greenwich Avenue (toward the bottom of the Avenue) is great for bistro-type fare. On nice days, you can eat on the tiny balcony out back. In that same block is an old family favorite, Pizza Factory...yum.

Market-wise, I'm probably not on the cutting edge. Always fun (and good for the dairy, produce and baked goods, though not for true grocery staples) is Stew Leonard's, on the Post Road in Norwalk. They have a wine shop now, too, right across the street. I've heard it's pretty decent.

Hay Day (the one on the Post Road in Riverside, across from St. Catherine's) used to be our go-to gourmet market; the Hay Day stores were bought by Balducci's recently, but on my last visit (about eight months ago), the one in Riverside hadn't changed too much - even the same manager!

ETA: For buying seafood, my favorite spot was always Fjord Fisheries on River Road in Cos Cob (only a hop, skip and a jump from Hay Day, as luck would have it!).

For decent pan-Asian, there's Penang Grill on Lewis Street (just off the Avenue) in Greenwich.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Ditto on Penang, a really underrated place, really great, unusual Panasian food, served in a bright, comfortable, immaculate atmosphere, BYOB as well.

On the other end of the spectrum, adjacent to Penang on Lewis St is Jean Louis, for NY/Paris quality French food. Also look for his "2CV" (antique french car) in the driveway.

The best takeout/specialty deli is Aux Delices on Route 1 (Putnam Ave). Everything homemade from main courses to salads to sandwiches on artisinal bread.

Realy fresh, good seafood at the unassuming but always busy Elm Street Oyster House. Pan fried oysters and rock shrimp are fabulous here.

Greenwich has some great places for food, you should have fun discovering all of them!!

Dans, typical responses from Greenwich folk. They refuse to step over the border into Stamford. :cool:

With few exceptions, I find the places in Greenwich overpriced and overrated. The exceptions being Penang, Gaia and Elm Street Oyster House.

As for restaurants:

Siena-Very good to excellent Italian with a few "Babbo-ish" dishes. A noisy place on weekend nights but really terrific food and a very accomodating staff. The owner is ALWAYS there.

Mona Lisa-More traditional Italian than Siena but well executed. Make sure to get the gnocchi which are of the melt in your mouth variety. Luciano cooks every meal and owns the place too. Very nice special wine dinners every couple of months.

Columbus Park Trattoria-Similar to Mona Lisa. Another good Italian.

Fiesta-Freindly Peruvian restaurant on Atlantic Street. Terrific ceviche's and lunch specials are a steal. Can't beat 1/2 chicken with salad and rice for $7. Also terrific soups.

Ole Mole-Small, mostly take-out Mexican on High Ridge Road. Top notch Mexican, everything especially fresh. BYO Margaritas or beer if you eat in.

Kit's Kitchen-Down the road from Ole Mole, very good Thai food with a nice outdoor patio. All organic meat and clearly very fresh fish. Items denoted as spicy are definitely spicy.

Unfortunately, not any recommended fish stores in town so I get most of my fish at Fjord Fisheries in Greenwich.

For good quality Italian stuff, A&S Fine Foods on High Ridge Road for freshly made mozzarella, home-made sausage and good quality Italian meats and cheeses. Plus a selection of olives, peppers, pastas, etc. Lots of prepared foods too and of course, Italian bread from the Bronx.

For Beer and Wine, Warehouse Liquors on Main Street. No great finds but a good selection at fair prices. For a more eclectic wine shop, Fountainhead Wines in Norwalk is the place to go. Expect to taste as they almost always have a few bottles open.

Norwalk has lots of good places too.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

OUCH!

This Stamford smack-down forces me to retaliate and prove my Stamford knowledge by saying that there used to be a Chinese place on Summer Street (somewhere between the Long Ridge/High Ridge intersection and the Ridgeway Shopping Center) that made excellent sesame noodles. Don't know if it's still there, though. :sad:

Another good Italian place I've been to several times in the last couple of years is Dolcetti's in Darien, on the Post Road just south of the Darien MetroNorth station. Good, solid food, and a decent wine list.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

OUCH!

This Stamford smack-down forces me to retaliate and prove my Stamford knowledge by saying that there used to be a Chinese place on Summer Street (somewhere between the Long Ridge/High Ridge intersection and the Ridgeway Shopping Center) that made excellent sesame noodles.  Don't know if it's still there, though. :sad:

Another good Italian place I've been to several times in the last couple of years is Dolcetti's in Darien, on the Post Road just south of the Darien MetroNorth station.  Good, solid food, and a decent wine list.

Great retaliation. First you pick a Chinese Restaurant in Stamford that has turned over several times in just a few years and then you go and recommend an Italian place NOT in Stamford but in Darien. :blink:

OUCH!

This Stamford smack-down forces me to retaliate and prove my Stamford knowledge by saying that there used to be a Chinese place on Summer Street (somewhere between the Long Ridge/High Ridge intersection and the Ridgeway Shopping Center) that made excellent sesame noodles.  Don't know if it's still there, though. :sad:

Another good Italian place I've been to several times in the last couple of years is Dolcetti's in Darien, on the Post Road just south of the Darien MetroNorth station.  Good, solid food, and a decent wine list.

Great retaliation. First you pick a Chinese Restaurant in Stamford that has turned over several times in just a few years and then you go and recommend an Italian place NOT in Stamford but in Darien. :blink:

Well, that's what you get from a Manhattan expat. I had no idea that restaurant had turned over...that's too bad. When I was growing up, it was one of my (Stamford-dwelling) father's favorites.

Hey, at least Darien is on the OTHER side of Stamford. :laugh: Kinda like Norwalk. :wink:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

Queenie Takes Manhattan

The restaurant megan is talking about was Hunan Wok, now I believe Pearl East?.

I grew up in Stamford, around the corner, and can attest to he high quality of their sesame noodles and their dumplings. A real shame that the left.

South Norwalk: Pasta Nostra, Match, Barcelona (for people watching and a bar scene)

My favorite in Greenwich is Gaia on Greenwich Ave.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Agreed although I think the food (not the people watching and bar scene) have fallen off a bit at Barcelona.

Pasta Nostra is one of a kind. Food is still great but I think Crazy Joe has gone overboard with the pricing. I think I paid something like $22 recently for 5 or 6 ravioli.

I totally agree on both points. Pasta Nostra is expensive, but I feel it is worth the money for the quality of the products he is using and the quality of service his staff provides. In particular Matt, who is on the dining room floor most of the time, is a home run. I also would add that IMHO, Norwalk offers many dining experiences that are on par with or even better than many of the surrounding towns.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Agreed on Norwalk. On the whole, it definitely provides more quality and variety than the surrounding towns. May as well go through my favorites in Norwalk in addition to the ones you already cited:

We frequently go to Kazu and Mike's Ristorante. I'm also a big fan of Meigas and I need to get over to Luncheria Valencia more often. And of course, Fat Cat for a salad, a pie and an interesting beer or wine before or after a movie at the Garden Cinema.

• 2 weeks later...

look here y'all......i had the horrid first 16yrs of my life growing up in stamford (actually i'm just joking.....it was fun, i was born in memphis and spent my summers on our family farm in mississippi.) i am very much partial to my southern roots (i live in nashville now) but i still miss some things from "up north". for italian and/or pizza go see my buddy Tony Uva at "Sorrento's". cant remember where but i know its near Turn of River Middle School. also go to "Mario The Baker" down the road from "Sorrento's". also try "Gates" in New Canann. for sandwiches go to "Giovanni's" on old long ridge road.....best you'll ever have! it used to be "Lee's Market" when i was there (early, early 80's) thats about all i can think of right now.....its been 20yrs since ive lived there.....but my parents still go back to visit every couple yrs, so i know these places are still there. good luck!

Newgene Ledbetter would rather climb a tree to tell you a lie than stand on the ground and tell you the truth!

here is some info from one of my best friends (from dallas) who still visits stamford/area every now and then. he definitley knows a lot more than i do when it comes to the current cuisine from there! anyway......here it is:

1. Best traditional NY style - Mario The Baker, High Ridge Rd.,

Stamford, CT. This is a small family run pizza restaurant that is

probably going on generation III. This type of family restaurant

typifies what is "Stamford" - the heart of Italian and Greek families is

their food. Although many would argue the best is the meatball

wedge...the simple yet satisfying onion pie is by far the best of its

kind. Best enjoyed with a cold can of Coca-Cola.

2. Best clam pizza and microbrew - Bar New Haven, New Haven, CT.

This is a hip microbeer bar and fills with local Yalies after dark. The

pizza is fired in wood ovens and is very crisp and served on big trays

because of it's irregular shape (no round pies here). The best is the

clam pizza which combines fresh little neck clams, garlic, cheese and

crust for a wonderful combination. I like my clam pizza washed down

with a brewery fresh pale ale.

3. Best tapas (Spanish) - Awesome 70's atmosphere and open aire

patio http://www.culinarymenus.com/barcelonaffld.htm Authentic tapas

combinations! If you're traveling, stay a night at the adjoining Hi Ho

Motel for additional 70's atmosphere. Easy to get to right of the

scenic Merritt Pkwy in Fairfield.

4. Best seafood - The Portuguese are famous for their seafood and

bread. Bridgeport, CT down by the water is home to the best seafood

paella-like combinations ever! Try the big bowl of mixed seafood

(lobster, clams, mussels, etc). It comes with fresh crispy white bread

and must be washed down with a light, crisp, chilled vino verde. I can't

for the life of me remember the name. It's down in the warehouse

district and by the shore. If you can't find it, the second best

Portuguese restaurant is Omanuel Restaurant 1909 Main St, Bridgeport, CT

06604. I prefer the Baccalau Gomes De SA - Salted codfish Gomes style.

Thank You,

William J. Long

Newgene Ledbetter would rather climb a tree to tell you a lie than stand on the ground and tell you the truth!

Go to Norwalk for Spanish at Meigas or La Paella (nee Mecca). Paci in Southport for special occasion Italian. Thali in New Canaan for Indian.

Super Duper Weenie for dogs in Fairfield.

I live in Westport and get grocs at the overpriced Balducci's or at Wild Oats.

The Saturday Farmer's Market in New Canaan is terrific.

For wine, Harry's in Fairfield is terrific. I also like to take the trip to Wine Connection in Pound Ridge, NY.

Good luck!

I lived in Greenwich for about 20 years until 2 years ago and still visit. I agree with all these suggestions, at least the ones I've tried. A few other ideas:

Cheeses - The Darien Cheese shop in Goodwives Plaza in Darien

Cakes/Pastries - St Moritz Bakery at the bottom of Greenwich Ave. in Greenwich

Also, the Whole Foods Market in Greenwich, while not huge, skews more to gourmet foods than has been my experience with the chain out here in the Chicago area. Greenwich also has a pretty good farmers market, similar to the New Canaan one.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We'll find it useful as we explore. Our brief stays so far have included dinenrs at Jean-Louis, Thomas Henckelmann and Wild Ginger. Of the three, I was very unimpressed with TH. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice place with a great atmostphere and wine list, but the food was horribly overcooked. Not just ours, ever plate I could see on a table or going by was overcooked. Too bad, nice place otherwise. A little rushed on the service also.

Jean-Louis and Wild Ginger are keepers in my book. We had great meals there and will be going back. WG got a little loud, but that is the trend in restaurants lately and the wine list was not good at all. I'll overlook this since the food was really special. JL was top notch. Good service, food and wine list. Nothing bad to say about this place.

Maybe we'll run into some of you in our travles in the area. We'd love to meet some new friends and maybe share meal and bottle of wine.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
4. Best seafood - The Portuguese are famous for their seafood and

bread.  Bridgeport, CT down by the water is home to the best seafood

paella-like combinations ever!  Try the big bowl of mixed seafood

(lobster, clams, mussels, etc).  It comes with fresh crispy white bread

and must be washed down with a light, crisp, chilled vino verde. I can't

for the life of me remember the name. It's down in the warehouse

district and by the shore.

Sounds like you are referring to Dolphin's Cove Restaurant on Seaview Ave in Bridgeport.

I would also recommend Liana's Trattoria in Fairfield. A small family run Italian, with friendly service and excellent food. The ricotta gnocchi are ethereal.

Edited by Phil Torre (log)

If you've been hitting places like Jean Louis and Henkelmann, you might want to try Rebecca's, which is sort of across the street from Wild Ginger. I thought the food was excellent, but the seating is not that comfortable and it can be very loud, which may not fit with your preferences.

If you've been hitting places like Jean Louis and Henkelmann, you might want to try Rebecca's, which is sort of across the street from Wild Ginger. I thought the food was excellent, but the seating is not that comfortable and it can be very loud, which may not fit with your preferences.

Thanks for the recommendation. Well have to check out Rebecca's.

I don't know why we were focused on the high end places. We've been looking for some nice bistro where we can have a nice dinner for two or sit at the bar when one of us is out of town. Or maybe a nice non-red sauce Italian place. We're having fun exploring, though.

Dan

Or maybe a nice non-red sauce Italian place.  We're having fun exploring, though. 

Dan

Siena on Summer Street. Much better than Applausi.

Sit at the bar and have Pepe take care of you. Make sure to get their Cavatelli with Hot and Sweet Sausage Ragu or Chitarra with Duck Ragu.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the advice, it has been invaluable. One more question if you don't mind.

What would be the best places for Chinese food or dim sum?

Thanks

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what happened to Relish in Sono? I'm told that it closed. After eating in just about all of NYC's upper eschelon restaurants, I still loved to come up and eat Bill Taibe's food. Any word?

Nothing to see here.

Thanks for all of the advice, it has been invaluable. One more question if you don't mind.

What would be the best places for Chinese food or dim sum?

Thanks

Dan

IMHO, hands-down winner in this category is Penang, which is right next to Jean-Louis in Greenwich. Everything here is excellent, the setting is great, and the pricing is easy on the wallet. Don't forget to bring your own wine, they don't have a license.

Penang Website