• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg and Dairy Free Buttercream

alligande

Thanks for all tha assistance on this posting "cake ideas for a Bride with allergies" got the cake sorted now I need to figure out the butter cream for the crumbcoat. The cake is going to be Choclate with a choclate ganace filling made with Soy. The Bride is allergic to wheat, cow dairy, and eggs.

Normally I use IMBC or french buttercream, does any one have any suggestions on what to use, I never use crisco for icing so I am clueless :wacko:

Thanks Karen

I put a recipe out in RecipeGullet a while ago for a vegan buttercream. I know you don't use crisco, but this frosting uses a shortening without any hydrogenated oils. If you are not using crisco for that reason, this should help you out.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

I put a recipe out in RecipeGullet a while ago for a vegan buttercream.  I know you don't use crisco, but this frosting uses a shortening without any hydrogenated oils.  If you are not using crisco for that reason, this should help you out.

Thanks for the info, I dont use crisco because I dont like the taste of that style of buttercream, So I was hopeing someone could recomend a version that wasnt bad. thanks

I put a recipe out in RecipeGullet a while ago for a vegan buttercream.  I know you don't use crisco, but this frosting uses a shortening without any hydrogenated oils.  If you are not using crisco for that reason, this should help you out.

Thanks for the info, I dont use crisco because I dont like the taste of that style of buttercream, So I was hopeing someone could recomend a version that wasnt bad. thanks

I know where you are coming from -- but with a bride allergic to eggs and cow dairy, I'm not sure what you are going to make it with... This one isn't really too bad -- not IMBC, but it is light and creamy.

However, I have seen a recipe for marshmallow fondant that you make with marshmallows and powdered sugar. On line, I found this ingredient list for the marshmallows --

Important Information

Ingredients

"Corn Syrup, Sugar, Dextrose, Modified Cornstarch, Water, Gelatin, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Artificial And Natural Flavor, Artificial Color (Includes Blue 1)."

If she can't have eggs, this may work, with a thin layer of the vegan buttercream underneath to secure the fondant.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

could you use a white chocolate ganache? Test it first, only because in my experience, ganache doesn't have the "sticky" factor that helps to hold the fondant on. When I use it, I put a thin coat on just before I put the fondant on and that helps.

White choclate is out, contains dairy, I was also concerned about using ganache as the crumb coat as I wondered if it would make the fondant less white, and as jeannecake said will it provide the sticky surface for the fondant to stick to, I was also worried if you can get it smooth enough for the fondant covering. Any one tried ganache as a crumb coat?

I use a buttercream that is a bit less sweet than regular bc's. It's made w/crisco, though. It's like a cross between whipped cream (texture-wise) and bcream. Maybe it'd work for you? I use it under my FondX or SatinIce.

The recipe is:

2/3 c. tepid water

2 c. confectioner's sugar

1/4 c. merengue powder

heaping 1/8 teaspoon salt (popcorn salt)

3 teaspoons flavor - vanilla, almond, whatever...

Beat these with a whip attachment on medium until smooth. Add 28oz crisco and whip on medium for 6-10 minutes. It's done when it rises up in the bowl. Covers a half-sheet, or a 14" 2-layer round w/borders.

Edit to add: I just realized I'm a moron....merengue powder is out for you (eggs)....I have made this recipe w/out it, and it's fine...just a bit less whippy.

Edited by Lkfarkas (log)

~Lisa

www.TheCakeAndTheCaterer.com

Bloomington, IN