• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pastry quiz

filipe

I've just found this the other day... and I think it really looks very nice.

Does anyone want to make a guess on where I've found this delicate pastry item?

gallery_40488_2237_990.jpg

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Apart from the filling, which looks dark and chocolaty, it looks very much like the Dutch pastry mergpijpje (literally, marrowbone) which is a thin sheet of marzipan, rolled up, the ends dipped in chocolate, with a filling that is part cake, part cream.

So I'm very interested to know what this is and where it's from!

I've just found this the other day... and I think it really looks very nice.

Does anyone want to make a guess on where I've found this delicate pastry item?

gallery_40488_2237_990.jpg

My guess is Denmark!!!!!

It is a 'træstamme' (a log), a traditional danish confection, made by mixing ground up day old pastries and cakescraps with cocoa, sugar, butter and rumflavour, shaping the mass, covering it with marcipan and dipping the ends in chocolate. It may sound quite unappetising, but it is one of those comfort foods which, when well made, are special in the way they take you back to your childhood.

Close relatives are the 'trøffel' (truffle - no relation to the fungus), which is the same mass rolled into a ball and rolled in chocolate sprinkles, and studenterbrød (student's bread), a pastry crust spread with the mass and iced thickly with a simple icing sugar icing.

I hope you enjoyed it, Felipe!

/Mette

P.S. If you found it in Ikea, as suggested elsewhere, it has very little resemblance to the real thing

Edited by Mette (log)

.....it looks very much like the Dutch pastry mergpijpje (literally, marrowbone) which is a thin sheet of marzipan, rolled up, the ends dipped in chocolate, with a filling that is part cake, part cream.

My guess is Denmark!!!!!

It is a 'træstamme' (a log), a traditional danish confection.....

Now I'm very interested in this Dutch pastry mergpijpje or træstamme or whatever it's called. I get that it's kind of like a cake ball/ rum ball done as a log and rolled in a sheet of marzipan..... my head is spinning with the possiblities of this! :biggrin:

Any ideas, either of you, for recipes for fillings? Or how to pronounce these names exactly?

I'm going off topic here for just a quick question. Pardon my ignorance... :blush:

To me, Ikea is a home furnishings store, of which we only have 1 in New England, to which I have never been.

Can someone please enlighten me as to what Ikea would have these mergpijpje or træstamme? I've seen the name mentioned in another thread or two and I am obviously out of the loop. :unsure:

Thanks!

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Thanks for the great link to La Glace bakery in Copenhagen, John. I loved looking through their cakes!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thank you!!! Excellent site. :smile:

Can someone please enlighten me as to what Ikea would have these mergpijpje or træstamme? 

Ikea has a restaurant (with a $0.99 breakfast in these parts) plus they have packaged foods for sale, mostly Swedish in origin if memory serves me right.

I don't like Ikea's home furnishings very much but their kitchen section I always get lost in..... :smile:

Thank you!!! Excellent site. :smile:

Can someone please enlighten me as to what Ikea would have these mergpijpje or træstamme? 

Ikea has a restaurant (with a $0.99 breakfast in these parts) plus they have packaged foods for sale, mostly Swedish in origin if memory serves me right.

I don't like Ikea's home furnishings very much but their kitchen section I always get lost in..... :smile:

Thanks -- I don't like the furnishings either, so I've never ventured the hour plus drive to the only store we have. Didn't realize that it would really be the same place with the confections. May have to drive there just for the kitchen stuff and to try some Swedish confections... I see a road trip on the horizon... Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

Thanks John for the link to the La Glace site -- I see some Sarah Bernhardts in my future as well...

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

You're right, that's IKEA :)

Guess they're good on food design as well as furniture :)

It's not anything to die for -on what's related to it's taste - but it's very good looking. It might go well with some lemon sorbet or similar. And I've just payed €2,50 for a pack of 4

Guess they call it another name than those refered : punschrulle

gallery_40488_2237_6935.jpg

Edited by filipe (log)

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Thanks for the great link to La Glace bakery in Copenhagen, John. I loved looking through their cakes!

Just love investigating the pastry traditions of other places... Thanks to Mette for providing the identity of the pretty little confection!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”